Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 12-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Designed4Luck

Maxfield (Last years Triple Crown Darling) returns!!!

Excited to see Maxfield returning this weekend at Fairgrounds. How do you think he’ll do?!?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
jay68802

Returns in a 75k Stakes????????

Good news is that he catches a N2-X field.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
Spalding No!

Seems like he's coming back at a bad time in the calendar. There is nothing to point for unless they are trying to march towards the New Orleans Handicap, which is not a particularly prominent race anymore (if it ever was).

If they are trying to make the fraudulent Pegasus, Saudi, Dubai World Cups then they are making the same mistake they've made twice already when gunning for the BC Juvenile and the Kentucky Derby off little foundation prior to his previous injuries. He won't hold up if those are the targets.

Considering his fragility, it would seem prudent to take their time and wait for a genuine major race as a target, i.e. the Met Mile. His pedigree and running style are geared towards one-turn miles anyways. Get a money allowance written in late March and use either the Carter or the Westchester as a lead-in to the Met and then they can coast towards the BC via the Whitney and Woodward.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
jay68802

Wrong, pointing for the Pegasus.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Wrong, pointing for the Pegasus.
I mentioned that race in the second paragraph.

If they are truly pointing to the Pegasus then they are going to attempt the "too much, too soon" route for a 3rd time (actually the 4th as they were bum-rushing to make the Derby when it was still on the first Saturday in May last year). It will also be a springboard to at least Dubai, if not Saudi Arabia as well.

Not going to bank on his longevity.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
classhandicapper

If he's legitimately one of the best 3yos of the crop, he's supposed to handle this field. But I don't think it's as easy a spot as it looks given that he's had some very nice race flow/bias setups in his races so far and he drew into a field with very little speed this time. It may wind up being a very good test for him.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designed4Luck View Post
Excited to see Maxfield returning this weekend at Fairgrounds. How do you think he’ll do?!?
Thanks for the heads up. Will be fun to see him return.

Saturday Race 13 Fairgrounds. Haven't read the form yet for everyone, but Sonneman is a solid rival.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'd say he looked just ok today. Beat a pretty weak field but did show he could stay closer when the pace slows.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'd say he looked just ok today. Beat a pretty weak field but did show he could stay closer when the pace slows.
I agree. Getting out of the gate well this time and securing good early position was important for winning this race. If he was off poorly again, it would have been a lot tougher. He was a little green and probably had a little more in the tank yesterday, but it's hard to know what would have happened in a tougher field chasing a faster pace.

My guess is that he's going to be very good, but the Pegasus seems like a bit of a reach so soon unless they know he wasn't anywhere near 100% and they are going to crank him up over the next few weeks.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I agree. Getting out of the gate well this time and securing good early position was important for winning this race. If he was off poorly again, it would have been a lot tougher. He was a little green and probably had a little more in the tank yesterday, but it's hard to know what would have happened in a tougher field chasing a faster pace.

My guess is that he's going to be very good, but the Pegasus seems like a bit of a reach so soon unless they know he wasn't anywhere near 100% and they are going to crank him up over the next few weeks.
Agreed.

Good to see him forwardly placed.

'Felt' like a solid comeback effort.
Was pleasantly surprised to see him tracking the pace setter. When he was 'asked the question' turning for home, also felt confident that he would respond and get the job done.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
jay68802

Wow, 4 people agreeing that the horse caught a weak field, and liking that he won while being closer to the pace. Now, do what the connections are doing. Wait to see the figure he ran, and judge weather or not he should go to the Pegasus or do something else.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #12
taxicab

This is a nice Colt.
His race Saturday was a perfect prep.
Maxfield wants nothing to do with the front end,so give him bonus points for hanging out near the lead.
He got what he needed out of the race.......you could just see his grade one class on display.
I suspect his first goal of the season will be the World Cup,trainer Walsh used to work for Godolphin ( I think galloping their stock ) in Dubai.......so that race might makes sense.
Another good reason for the World Cup is the distance,Maxfield really just starts warming up around the ninth furlong........so the WC distance will be perfect for him.
Just hold his ankle together and Godolphin/Walsh have a good thing going.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #13
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Wow, 4 people agreeing that the horse caught a weak field, and liking that he won while being closer to the pace. Now, do what the connections are doing. Wait to see the figure he ran, and judge weather or not he should go to the Pegasus or do something else.
Beyer gave him a 98 which was a small step forward.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #14
Parkview_Pirate

Last year's Triple Crown Darling?

Being a 3YO for another ten days, doesn't that make Maxfield this year's Triple Crown darling? Although, I must admit, 2020 has been a very long year, so it seems like last year.

I had a cheap futures bet in pool 1 on him, and am still sort of a fan of his, but his performances so far seem to have a "ducking" component to them. Like the connections don't want to see him beat - tells me his heart is in question. I could be wrong - the stats don't back me up.

But as the Talking Heads of ESPN would say, "his body of work has yet to demonstrate his G1 class as an older colt." Granted, a G1 winner 14 months ago, but he's hardly battled tested yet.

I guess we find out next month.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply