Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
MPRanger

Hong Kong Racing

Anyone play Hong Kong racing?

Where would you bet on it?

PP's don't show fractional times only final time. They do show position and beaten lengths at intervals though I don't know what the intervals are. This Happy Valley track has an irregular shape.

I notice the horses number is not assigned by post position but by how much weight it carries. I assume they still draw for post position but I don't know. Seems like I recall Australia assigning post positions by weight. I don't know what the class ratings mean.

At first glance it looks like to handicap these races you would consider finish, weight and distance and probably something to do with the class ratings. If you made your own final fraction (whatever that would be) clockings on the horses you might could get an edge. Just my thoughts. I have no experience with this but I would like to learn more about it.

Example from the recap sheet for Wednesday:

Race 1 DOUBLE / FIRST 4 / PLACE / QUARTET /
QUINELLA / QUINELLA PLACE / TIERCE /
TRIO / WIN (Bet Type availability will be
subject to individual operator)
About Six Furlongs (TURF) - Class 4 - Ratings 60-40. - Purse
$97,980.

1 Spitfire N Rawiller 133
2 Easy Success B Prebble 130
3 Parental Spirit C Y Ho 130
4 Pakistan Baby D Whyte 129
5 Snowhooves O Doleuze 127
6 Timely Arrived N Callan 127
7 Consistent Y T Cheng 125
8 Lightning Pegasus D Lane 125
9 Happy Homing K C Leung 124
10 Jet Set Dragon A Suborics 119
11 Whistle Blower M L Yeung 118
12 A Fast One K Teetan 114
S1 Owners' Pride --- 120
S2 Good View Delights --- 121
Old 04-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #2
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

I play the weekend races, usually at Sha Tin, late at night on Fridays or Saturdays, which is Saturday or Sunday afternoon on track. The mid-week races, usually at Happy Valley, are to early in the morning and conflict with work. They are run at night time local.

The Big 3, (Twinspires, Xpressbet and TVG) all carry Hong Kong racing, comingled into the large pools there. I'm not sure if other ADWs carry them, but some of the offshore books have it as well. The wagers available are win, place (which is really show), quinellas, quinella place (omni), trifectas (tierce), and doubles. There are other wagers (tri box - trio, supers - quartet, super boxes - 1st four, twin tris, jockey challenges, etc) on track that are not available via the ADWs. Note - the second half of the double pays a "consolation if your horse finishes second.

Each horse is assigned a rating, and the classes are 1 (high) to 5 (low), along with stakes (Group 1/2/3), and maiden (griffin) races. The post positions are drawn, and the weights assigned on the handicap system to achieve competitive fields versus the U.S. system of claiming.

Each ADW has free "North American" style PPs. Other info can be obtained at this link:

http://racing.hkjc.com/racing/Info/m...english/Local/

Near the top of the page, and under the race description, is a link for "Download Race Form (all races), which has PPs including the horses record at the distance and surface. The PPs are "upside down", with the most recent race at the bottom. Lots of other colorful info.

Near the bottom of the page is a blue column called "Analytical Tools". The "speed/power" link has the horses posted in post position order, with speed figures and comments from past races. Naturally, the races are listed "right side up", with the most recent race at the top.

For each race, if you click on the horse's name, it will also make available more info on works, breeding, and past year's forms. Tons of info, but will bring on carpal tunnel.

IMHO, handicapping the races from Hong Kong relies on post position, appearance, bias, trip, jockey and jockey switches, weights and form. Another key factor is tote action. It's much like the ponies were in NA back in the 1980s. You'll be SHOCKED at some of the late steam moves - wagers of hundreds of thousands ($US) are not uncommon.

Unlike most NA tracks, I have a nice positive ROI at Sha Tin.....
Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
MPRanger

Thanks Hoofless,

That was very informative. The late steam moves remind me of Gulfstream. Though I don't think Gulfstream is about steam as much as late cancelled bets and re-bets. but, who knows?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
Thanks Hoofless,

That was very informative. The late steam moves remind me of Gulfstream. Though I don't think Gulfstream is about steam as much as late cancelled bets and re-bets. but, who knows?

Thanks.
Many of the North American tracks have some late action, but in Hong Kong they bet about as much in each race as they do for the whole card at Santa Anita....so it takes some big wagers to move the odds. Not sure if they allow cancellations on track - they don't through the ADWs.

Now, on the 1st at Sha Tin, where the dog looks like a interesting longshot in the 1st....assuming speed can hold up.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
Anyone play Hong Kong racing?

Where would you bet on it?

PP's don't show fractional times only final time. They do show position and beaten lengths at intervals though I don't know what the intervals are. This Happy Valley track has an irregular shape.

I notice the horses number is not assigned by post position but by how much weight it carries. I assume they still draw for post position but I don't know. Seems like I recall Australia assigning post positions by weight. I don't know what the class ratings mean.

At first glance it looks like to handicap these races you would consider finish, weight and distance and probably something to do with the class ratings. If you made your own final fraction (whatever that would be) clockings on the horses you might could get an edge. Just my thoughts. I have no experience with this but I would like to learn more about it.

Example from the recap sheet for Wednesday:

Race 1 DOUBLE / FIRST 4 / PLACE / QUARTET /
QUINELLA / QUINELLA PLACE / TIERCE /
TRIO / WIN (Bet Type availability will be
subject to individual operator)
About Six Furlongs (TURF) - Class 4 - Ratings 60-40. - Purse
$97,980.

1 Spitfire N Rawiller 133
2 Easy Success B Prebble 130
3 Parental Spirit C Y Ho 130
4 Pakistan Baby D Whyte 129
5 Snowhooves O Doleuze 127
6 Timely Arrived N Callan 127
7 Consistent Y T Cheng 125
8 Lightning Pegasus D Lane 125
9 Happy Homing K C Leung 124
10 Jet Set Dragon A Suborics 119
11 Whistle Blower M L Yeung 118
12 A Fast One K Teetan 114
S1 Owners' Pride --- 120
S2 Good View Delights --- 121
I don't play the HK races much, but it seems to me that running only 2x/week on a closed circuit would put a huge premium on actually watching the races or replays rather than using printed form. In the U.S. we necessarily rely on PPs- racing generally 4-5 days/week and frequent shipping, especially in the East, make it difficult for the player other than the pros or truly committed to see all the races. In HK there is max 20 races or so/week, and all the horses come from the same pool. I think that is also why Hoofless cites other variables like physical appearance, post, etc as most important. I don't know if there is much emphasis on time over there.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 03:31 AM   #6
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
I don't play the HK races much, but it seems to me that running only 2x/week on a closed circuit would put a huge premium on actually watching the races or replays rather than using printed form. In the U.S. we necessarily rely on PPs- racing generally 4-5 days/week and frequent shipping, especially in the East, make it difficult for the player other than the pros or truly committed to see all the races. In HK there is max 20 races or so/week, and all the horses come from the same pool. I think that is also why Hoofless cites other variables like physical appearance, post, etc as most important. I don't know if there is much emphasis on time over there.
The announcers go over the fractions for each race, expected pace, and whether or not the final race time is faster or slower than "standard". Since the horses race at consistent distances at only two tracks and a limited number of courses, these relative times are well established - and seem to be supported by the consistent winning speed figures of the various classes. And since there is strict testing for drugs, there are very few (if any) outliers in terms of performance. They also cover the post race views, and trips that some of the horses had that affected the outcome.

Watching the races or replays carefully and making notes could be quite fruitful, though there isn't a horse watch tool like on DRF. Taking advantage of the final splits in the track's PPs is also handy, 'cause unlike the UK or Aussie racing, time does mean something....
Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #7
Some_One

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racingin...ourse_time.htm
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
The announcers go over the fractions for each race, expected pace, and whether or not the final race time is faster or slower than "standard". Since the horses race at consistent distances at only two tracks and a limited number of courses, these relative times are well established - and seem to be supported by the consistent winning speed figures of the various classes. And since there is strict testing for drugs, there are very few (if any) outliers in terms of performance. They also cover the post race views, and trips that some of the horses had that affected the outcome.

Watching the races or replays carefully and making notes could be quite fruitful, though there isn't a horse watch tool like on DRF. Taking advantage of the final splits in the track's PPs is also handy, 'cause unlike the UK or Aussie racing, time does mean something....
Thanks for that Hoofless and good points. I don't catch the HK races much. I wrongly lumped the HK scene with the Euro m.o. in which time is nearly useless I suppose largely because comparing times across the various courses is impossible.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: