Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Why isn't the So Cal pick 6 pool into the millions every day?

Takeout raise aside, So Cal offers large pick 6 pools. Even on non carryover days the pool is a buck 50 or 200k.

No other track offers this kind of pick 6 potential. Somtimes you get large carryovers in NY or Ky, but those are few and far between. So Cal offers large pools every day and if the carryover is 125k, you can get upwards of 1 million into the pool.

Here's my question. How come there arent more horseplayers investing in this wager? Arent you interested in possibly winning 100k or 500k on a big carryover day?

People talk about takeout raises, but if you invest in a So Cal pick 6 with carryover, you are really betting into a pool where the takeout is very minimal. If the pool is 750 and the carryover is 125 that means the takeout is about 7%.

With carryover, not only do you have a chance for a monster score, but you're betting into a takeout that's less than 10%.

With all the sensitivity towards lower takeout rates, why not invest in this bet?

Do YOU play the pick 6? If not, why not.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
lamboguy

hey man, i got my troubles picking 1 horse and you want me to pick 6 in a row?

all kidding aside, if i was to play a pick 3-4 or 6, i would have to have at least 2 singles in the sequence that are 3-1 or higher. i have no idea how to find 1 in califronia, i stopped following it when they started the synthetic.

when 4 o'clock comes around every day, there are plenty of other tracks that i play instead of california. i really liked the indiana meet, turf paradise is ok too. on the weekends you have plenty of other places.

the way for california to get more business is to open their doors around 9:00 eastern time where the only competion they would have is england and south africa.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Takeout raise aside, So Cal offers large pick 6 pools. Even on non carryover days the pool is a buck 50 or 200k.

No other track offers this kind of pick 6 potential. Somtimes you get large carryovers in NY or Ky, but those are few and far between. So Cal offers large pools every day and if the carryover is 125k, you can get upwards of 1 million into the pool.Here's my question.

How come there arent more horseplayers investing in this wager?

Arent you interested in possibly winning 100k or 500k on a big carryover day?

People talk about takeout raises, but if you invest in a So Cal pick 6 with carryover, you are really betting into a pool where the takeout is very minimal. If the pool is 750 and the carryover is 125 that means the takeout is about 7%.

With carryover, not only do you have a chance for a monster score, but you're betting into a takeout that's less than 10%.

With all the sensitivity towards lower takeout rates, why not invest in this bet?

Your post is full of contradictions, no?

Last edited by Saratoga_Mike; 03-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Your post is full of contradictions, no?
no.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

SRU, your post reminds me of a Yogi Berra saying (my second time calling him out today) about a St. Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Your version: "Nobody bets into So Cal Pick Six carryovers anymore. There's too much money in them."
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
surfdog89

I do play the pick six.....at Santa Anita..... a positive aspect of why to play SA.
surfdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
horses4courses

The economy has an effect

I noticed that, several years back, when the economy took a nosedive, so did the pools in the So Cal PK6. My guess is that quite a few regular players backed out as their own portfolio shrunk. Pools, and carryovers, are a fraction of what they were a few years back, and this has snowballed.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Twenty Seven

Quote:
Takeout raise aside, So Cal offers large pick 6 pools.

Bankroll, and psychological inevitabilities.

I can't wager the thousand or so (at a minimum) needed to have even a barebones shot at hitting it, unless I play the chalk-happy winterized Aqu, in which case the p6s pay somewhat less than a life-changing number.

And I don't play the lottery, so I'll stick with P4s which give the happy medium of significant, somewhat frequent hits, with a manageable bank.
Twenty Seven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
SRU, your post reminds me of a Yogi Berra saying (my second time calling him out today) about a St. Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Your version: "Nobody bets into So Cal Pick Six carryovers anymore. There's too much money in them."
Oh, ok, i see what you're saying, let me clarify. The pick 6 pools as they currently stand, are big enough to make a nice score, esp with carryover. I just wanted to know why they're not much more massive. This is the best opportunity in America, on a regular basis, to make a big score, i was just wondering why more horseplayers are not interested in hitting the homerun.

Look at it this way, if you hit a big pick 6 you can quit your job and be a pro horseplayer with the bankroll. This is a great way to 'live the dream' and bet for a living.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Seven
Bankroll, and psychological inevitabilities.

I can't wager the thousand or so (at a minimum) needed to have even a barebones shot at hitting it, unless I play the chalk-happy winterized Aqu, in which case the p6s pay somewhat less than a life-changing number.

And I don't play the lottery, so I'll stick with P4s which give the happy medium of significant, somewhat frequent hits, with a manageable bank.
Good answer.

Do you feel that you need to invest 1k to have any shot?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
all kidding aside... i would have to have at least 2 singles in the sequence that are 3-1 or higher. i have no idea how to find 1 in ca...
lambo nailed it.

with the syndicate setting up many of the individual races to have just one well-meant entry it's more difficult to find value in the multi race wagers. What little dumb money(under funded lotto style) there is, is mostly singling the same favorites as the "smart money".
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
speed

Quote:

No other track offers this kind of pick 6 potential. Somtimes you get large carryovers in NY or Ky, but those are few and far between. So Cal offers large pools every day and if the carryover is 125k, you can get upwards of 1 million into the pool.

Here's my question. How come there arent more horseplayers investing in this wager? Arent you interested in possibly winning 100k or 500k on a big carryover day?

I would really enjoy having you explain if 750,000 is bet with a 125,000 carryover how the takeout is 7%.

Thank You
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Twenty Seven

Quote:

Do you feel that you need to invest 1k to have any shot?
I should have been more clear. I can come up with 3 faves, two 2nd faves, and a 3rd fave winner in a p6 score for well under a thousand clams, but so can thousands of others who can only construct thin tickets. I'm looking for at least one race, preferably 2 or 3, where the crowd will go in another direction. I can afford that in a p4; I can't in a p6.
Twenty Seven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
098poi

Quote:

Well stated. That's kind of the impression I got from the post too.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Seven
I should have been more clear. I can come up with 3 faves, two 2nd faves, and a 3rd fave winner in a p6 score for well under a thousand clams, but so can thousands of others who can only construct thin tickets. I'm looking for at least one race, preferably 2 or 3, where the crowd will go in another direction. I can afford that in a p4; I can't in a p6.
I agree. When I followed the circuit it was strictly bankroll that held me back. I thought then and still now it's a great wager. I just couldn't afford to play it right, and playing it wrong didn't make sense.

Also, I believe the takeout reduction Riled is talking about is when a carryover occurs. You bet into a pool that is already built up and takeout is essentially lowered for that bet on that day.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply