Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
SharpCat

Lure

Just want to say congrats to one of my favorite all time turf horses for finally getting into the HOF.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat
Just want to say congrats to one of my favorite all time turf horses for finally getting into the HOF.
Second that! Quite possibly the best horse of the 20th century that never got voted a champion. His race with Devil His Due in the Gotham was just incredible, to go a half mile in :43 4/5 seconds and still have enough to hang on for the dead heat with the Devil was amazing.

Three track records on both dirt and turf; his turn of foot in the stretch of the 1992 BC Mile was something you hardly ever see a front-runner do, then he came back a year later and did it again in the same race.

The old boy is living out his days at the place of his birth, Claiborne Farm.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
Second that! Quite possibly the best horse of the 20th century that never got voted a champion. His race with Devil His Due in the Gotham was just incredible, to go a half mile in :43 4/5 seconds and still have enough to hang on for the dead heat with the Devil was amazing.

Three track records on both dirt and turf; his turn of foot in the stretch of the 1992 BC Mile was something you hardly ever see a front-runner do, then he came back a year later and did it again in the same race.

The old boy is living out his days at the place of his birth, Claiborne Farm.

:22 1/5 :43 4/5 1:08 1/5 1:35 3/5 They just took of together with 6 furlongs to go and they threw down one of the greatest stretch battles ever. Simply incredible to see Lure pinballing of the rail and still manage to dead heat for the win.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

[YT="Lure Gotham"]OeO4BoUn43g[/YT]
Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Fans of Lure, i want to direct your attention to the first race at Santa Anita on Feb 16th. The winner, wire to wire, was a horse named Snaps. He Looks just like Lure, yellow silks on the jock, sheepskin noseband, white markings on the head and some on the feet, take a look at this video and tell me if you think Snaps reminds you of Lure coming down the lane at Santa Anita. Maybe he's not an exact lookalike, but he's certainly a 'remindalike'.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
turninforhome10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Fans of Lure, i want to direct your attention to the first race at Santa Anita on Feb 16th. The winner, wire to wire, was a horse named Snaps. He Looks just like Lure, yellow silks on the jock, sheepskin noseband, white markings on the head and some on the feet, take a look at this video and tell me if you think Snaps reminds you of Lure coming down the lane at Santa Anita. Maybe he's not an exact lookalike, but he's certainly a 'remindalike'.
I saw that and thought the exact same thing and got a little chill. Lure is my favorite horse of a all time. I have his halter from the Breeders Cup above my desk. He is definately deserving of the award. Surviving a 3yo campaign looking for the Derby and then Shug puts him on the weeds and Hello. My heart sunk when his stud career was hampered by fertility issues. When he won the 2nd Breeders cup from the 11 hole he stamped himself as one the best turf horses of the 20th Century IMHO, although I am bit biased.

But those yellow silks flashing home against the green of the SA lawn, brought back some good memories.
Congrats to LURE and his connections.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat

+1..long past due.

I rememember when Shug switched him over to the turf. That '92 BCM race was a thing of beauty, and all Mikey had to do was hold on.

Hadn't seen a horse relish a surface switch like that until Mott put Cigar on the dirt at Gulfstream.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
classhandicapper

I'm surprised we never had a Lure vs. Wise Dan thread.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I'm surprised we never had a Lure vs. Wise Dan thread.
Because Lure would have eaten Wise Dan for lunch. Everyone knows that, so there would be no reason to discuss it.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One
+1..long past due.

I rememember when Shug switched him over to the turf. That '92 BCM race was a thing of beauty, and all Mikey had to do was hold on.

Hadn't seen a horse relish a surface switch like that until Mott put Cigar on the dirt at Gulfstream.
Just watched a replay of that race and he really dominated a field that included Paradise Creek, Fourstars Allstar and Arazi as well as a few Euro shippers.

In baseball, each player has several "comparables". For Lure, I think Wise Dan would definitely be listed as a comparable.

Last edited by Valuist; 02-21-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
Because Lure would have eaten Wise Dan for lunch. Everyone knows that, so there would be no reason to discuss it.
I keep forgetting that most of the people here are old enough to have seen Lure.

I'm going to guess that turf racing in the US was better back than it is now (even though IMO it's very hard to compare). I'd give Lure the edge, but I don't think anyone would have a walk in the park with Wise Dan.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Just watched a replay of that race and he really dominated a field that included Paradise Creek, Fourstars Allstar and Arazi as well as a few Euro shippers.

In baseball, each player has several "comparables". For Lure, I think Wise Dan would definitely be listed as a comparable.
COngrats to Lure! He shouldve been a first ballot HOF, but I am glad he got it now.

A dream line up to see would have been Lure, War Chant, Wise Dan, Miesque, Da Hoss, Animal Kingdom,Royal Academy ...who else should be there?
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
outofthebox

[QUOTE=classhandicapper]I keep forgetting that most of the people here are old enough to have seen Lure.

I'm going to guess that turf racing in the US was better back than it is now (even though IMO it's very hard to compare). I'd give Lure the edge, but I don't think anyone would have a walk in the park with Wise Dan.[/QUOTE It's difficult to compare horses over the years. I was just having a little fun with that comment. Lure and Paradise Creek has some great battles..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Jasonm921

Turf racing during those few years were extremely competitive here.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Del Park

Smile Lure

That was a young Mike Smith riding! Look what he is doing now???????????????????
Del Park is offline   Reply With Quote Reply