Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
The cancellation of this long awaited, highly acclaimed show, if indeed true, is a rather shocking, unfortunate development, especially given that the latest horse fatality was not racing related and apparently not due to any carelessness on the part of the "LUCK" production team.

Dumb question....have the final two episodes for season 1 already been filmed or did the latest fatality occur during the filming of one of the two final episodes?
They were filming season 2. Sounds like they will show all of season 1 (which is only 9 episodes) and that will be that.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
Doza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
The cancellation of this long awaited, highly acclaimed show, if indeed true, is a rather shocking, unfortunate development, especially given that the latest horse fatality was not racing related and apparently not due to any carelessness on the part of the "LUCK" production team.

Dumb question....have the final two episodes for season 1 already been filmed or did the latest fatality occur during the filming of one of the two final episodes?

Vinman
I believe they were already filiming season 2, so season 1 is probably done.
Doza is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #33
bigmack

The animal was being led to a stable by a groom when it reared and fell back, suffering a head injury, according to HBO. The horse was euthanized at the track in suburban Arcadia.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/story...uck/53538330/1
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #34
Robert Fischer
clean money

this STINKS
Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #35
Blenheim
Race Player

The series did nothing for the great game. I am glad to see it was cancelled, likely saved the lives of a few good horses.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim
The series did nothing for the great game. I am glad to see it was cancelled, likely saved the lives of a few good horses.
Seems like sound logic to cancel the racing industry.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #37
jelly
Veteran

You can thank the liberal group PETA.

The Horse Racing Industry better learn how to fight back or their Done.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Seems like sound logic to cancel the racing industry.
Exactly.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
Blenheim
Race Player

Athletes die in sporting events all the time, yet the games continue . . .
~
I thought the series was garbage when it first came out and the cancellation didn't come soon enough. All "Luck" has left us is the death of three fine horses and the perpetuation of negative stereotypes. Glad to see it go.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim
Athletes die in sporting events all the time, yet the games continue . . .
~
I thought the series was garbage when it first came out and the cancellation didn't come soon enough. All "Luck" has left us is the death of three fine horses and the perpetuation of negative stereotypes. Glad to see it go.
Yes, let's all wear rose colored glasses...that has certainly helped the game...

Give me a break...everything you saw in Luck to date has actually happened on a racetrack...what did you want? A pretty pony show?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #41
GameTheory

Oh, well, adieu LUCK. I wonder if HBO is ever going to stop letting Milch make shows at all -- Deadwood went three seasons, but none of his shows have gotten good ratings.

[YT="Goodbye Luck"]otY1sfvELXQ[/YT]
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #42
nijinski

Unfortunately film makers fear Peta . They are well known for their terror tactics. A growing number of folks are wising up though and hopefully will stop funding them. Would love it if the lying creeps were dismantled .
As for the loss of the third horse. This happens with high strung thoroughbreds , No wrong doing here. Just a freak and unfortunate accident.
Years ago when a horse flipped in the Meadowlands paddock , a worker was crushed to death . No one was to blame then either.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #43
Blenheim
Race Player

Below is the post I made back on 2/19, maybe this will better help you understand my point of view on this series.

Turned on the HBO and was lucky to catch the movie Seabiscuit. I also got to watch most of part one of Luck. Interesting contrast of values between the two - the first embracing what is good about horse racing the second embracing what is bad . . .

How can a horse racing fan embrace a television series that perpetuates the negative stereotypes involved with horse racing? What good can this series do for an already failing sport?

I hope the series fails rather quickly.
~
I guess there are a few ways one can look at this. I was fortunate enough to get to watch Seabiscuit and then in the same few hours watch Luck. I got to see two completely different perspectives on the great game in a relatively short period of time - one positive the other negative. No doubt the producers of Luck were hoping to capitalize on the negative stereotypes involved with the sport . . . gamblin', cheatin', lying, stealin', toss in some sexin' and beat a few people up, you know, the kinda stuff just made for family viewing!

Fortunately for the great game, and for those that love it, their gamble failed.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #44
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
You can thank the liberal group PETA.

The Horse Racing Industry better learn how to fight back or their Done.
That's gonna take work , but it could be done.
The cosmetic industry has cleaned up their act and stopped using anmials for
testing for years now . Peta however will still try to circulate photos from the day of the flood to destroy them. It's all been backfiring though. Folks just need to be educated better on the sneaky tactics of this org .
The racing industry in some areas are allowing more reputable rescue people on the backstretch . Im' happy with this , but it also sends out a messsge that the industry still has licensed some less than desirable folks . That's the stuff PETA loves.

Last edited by nijinski; 03-14-2012 at 10:26 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply