Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Vegas711

The Stock Market is Gambling

Sen. Kyl should focus his attention on a more dangerous form of internet gambling which has ruined more people than all other forms of gambling combined, and leave horse racing alone, I am refering to day trading .

The stock market is GAMBLING and anyone who disputes this is full of crap.I have lost more money in 1 year playing the market than I have lost in a lifetime
playing the horses. If kyl gets his bill passed horse racing interests need to first reclassify horse racing as an investment venture then file a discrimination law suit.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas711
Sen. Kyl should focus his attention on a more dangerous form of internet gambling which has ruined more people than all other forms of gambling combined, and leave horse racing alone, I am refering to day trading .

The stock market is GAMBLING and anyone who disputes this is full of crap.I have lost more money in 1 year playing the market than I have lost in a lifetime
playing the horses. If kyl gets his bill passed horse racing interests need to first reclassify horse racing as an investment venture then file a discrimination law suit.
Forget it. The stock market is escentially the rich man's game. And no politician is ever gonna f*ck with the rich.

Still, I don't get it. Betting on a stock is investing. Betting on a horse is gambling. It all sounds the bloody same to me.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I believe you're both wrong. The stock market, when played correctly (and that means hard work, and due diligence) is certainly NOT gambling. Could it be similar to gambling?? SURE. But it all depends on HOW you play the game and WHAT game you play (Short term, long term, stocks, bonds, futures, options, options on futures, currency trading, etc. etc. etc.)
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

How different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
Betting on a stock is investing. Betting on a horse is gambling. It all sounds the bloody same to me.
BOTH disciplines are wagering on an event will/won't occur before it does.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I believe you're both wrong. The stock market, when played correctly (and that means hard work, and due diligence) is certainly NOT gambling. Could it be similar to gambling?? SURE. But it all depends on HOW you play the game and WHAT game you play (Short term, long term, stocks, bonds, futures, options, options on futures, currency trading, etc. etc. etc.)
...and this is different from horse racing how? Everything you say could be applied to horse racing in my opinion.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
...and this is different from horse racing how? Everything you say could be applied to horse racing in my opinion.
Yeah, exactly. Everything that Pace said sounded like doohickey.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Do you consider horse racing gambling? Did I say that *I* consider wagering on horses gambling? For some people, it certainly is gambling....for a select few, it is not.

I believe the "select few" are much greater in number when it comes to the financial markets.

But to pros in both fields, of course, NEITHER would be considered gambling.

Quite honestly, this is a silly thread.

The original poster stated that the stock market is gambling. That's a silly statement. That's my response. Whether what I say can be applied to horse racing doesn't matter. OF COURSE IT CAN BE APPLIED TO HORSE RACING, when you're talking about winners.....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Suff
Beat up 💪

Your vernacular is far to copius for my diminutive comprhension.

huh wa?. Lol.

Doohickey's one of my all time favorite words.

Last edited by Suff; 05-28-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2005, 02:39 AM   #9
Vegas711

The point I was trying to make is that becouse horse racing has a label of Gambling and the stock market has a label of investing , racing is allowed to be discriminatly attacked.They are one and the same!!!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:48 AM   #10
fishorsechess

Why then is "Investing at the Racetrack" by William Scott not

titled "Gambling at the Racetrack"?
fishorsechess is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2005, 05:28 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Do you consider horse racing gambling? Did I say that *I* consider wagering on horses gambling? For some people, it certainly is gambling....for a select few, it is not.

I believe the "select few" are much greater in number when it comes to the financial markets.

But to pros in both fields, of course, NEITHER would be considered gambling.

Quite honestly, this is a silly thread.

The original poster stated that the stock market is gambling. That's a silly statement. That's my response. Whether what I say can be applied to horse racing doesn't matter. OF COURSE IT CAN BE APPLIED TO HORSE RACING, when you're talking about winners.....
You sound like an elitist. The stock market is gambling, just as racing is gambling. Of course there are pros in both. They are professional gamblers. Unless you are telling me there is no risk in playing the market?

I'm guessing you think it is a silly thread because it struck a nerve somewhere. You don't want to be called a gambler.

Last edited by cj; 05-29-2005 at 05:29 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

3. Technical handicapping relies on historic trends and treats horses and sports teams like stocks and bonds and commodities. Relying on trends when betting is beneficial:
(a) Often.
(b) More often than not.
(c) You must be kidding.

Answer: (c). The horses are different. The jockeys are different. The tracks are different. Betting trends eliminates the need for thought from the handicapper's head

From JC's latest article at ESPN-horseracing
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
GameTheory

The stock market is gambling -- of course it is. The importance societal difference is that when people "gamble" in the stock market it is good for the economy in general, whereas horse racing is a closed system and is of no consequence to people not involved.

Now then, the horse racing industry and all of the jobs it provides is far bigger and more important than most realize, but that is a different subject...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
sam i am

looks like it is semantics.

Main Entry: 1gam·ble
Pronunciation: 'gam-b&l
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): gam·bled; gam·bling /-b(&-)li[ng]/
Etymology: probably back-formation from gambler, probably alteration of obsolete gamner, from obsolete gamen (to play)
intransitive senses
1 a : to play a game for money or property b : to bet on an uncertain outcome
2 : to stake something on a contingency : take a chance
transitive senses
1 : to risk by gambling : WAGER
2 : VENTURE, HAZARD
- gam·bler /-bl&r/ noun

Main Entry: 2invest
Function: verb
Etymology: Italian investire to clothe, invest money, from Latin, to clothe
transitive senses
1 : to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return
2 : to make use of for future benefits or advantages
intransitive senses : to make an investment
sam i am is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I have never put $150 on the nose of any stock and then have them go into the first turn and break down.............

But that has happen to me in a horse race..............

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: