Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Immortal6

$50 in exotics for Preakness.

For the Derby my dad and I had several friends that wanted to pool money for a tri or super for the derby. We ended up with 10 people throwing in $20 each and ended up hitting a $1 tri which actually lost money...paying out $14 to each person was a real pain.... anyways.... they all want to throw $5 in for the Preakness and want me and my dad to come up with the bet just like we did for the Derby. They want to play a super, but I also mentioned playing a exact5 and they were up for that as well.

Parameters for the bet is basically that everyone agreed they liked Justify or Good Magic to win (of course) so both will have to be used on top, and other than that it's up to me to figure out how to structure the rest of the bet. Right now I'm leaning towards an exact5 with //Key/ALL/ALL for $40 and a $1 super with the same horses for $10. The problem is, who is going to be that key horse that runs third if the chalk runs 1-2?

Anyways, sorry for the long winded post. Would just like to get others ideas on how they might structure a super or exact5.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
jay68802

... 1950
... 1897
... 1856
... 1848
... 1841
... 1836
... 1824
... 1806

IMO, hard to key for 3rd with 4 horses that could battle for that spot.

Good luck.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
MadVindication

Good luck figuring one horse for third. I like the early pressers Bravazo, Tenfold and Diamond King. I don't like LS for 3rd but so far LS and Quip are the popular choices. If your betting track then you have to consider that with this small field the odds could really shorten on the popular picks. Aside from GM and Justify, all the horses are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned but Sporting Chance is really unlikely. So I'm betting on him in some min bet, cheap exotics. Because I won't have to rethink them on race day.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

If you didn't like the $14/per person haul from the Derby trifecta, then having the / on top of any Exotic ticket in the Preakness will be even more depressing.

The $1 Tri with //anything will be in the $20 to $35 range regardless of who gets 3rd because that ticket will be more common than a blonde in Sweden. A $1 Tri of //All is a mere $6 ticket.

If you 'key' on top with //All, then it is a $12 ticket. Even a Super with or on top won't pay much more than a $100, if even that.

If you are looking to get something back in a group ticket for $50 in exotics, you have to keep one of the stone cold favorites out of the Exacta at the very least (that means keeping one of them completely out of 'wasting' money in the top 2 slots), if not directly on top in the 1 hole.

If that isn't something that you want to do, then I'd strongly suggest wagering on another race.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 05-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
arw629
First Time Gelding

$50 exacta 7-5
Or a $50 tri 7-5-consensus vote from your friends
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
PowerUpPaynter

Hell for $360 you can do $1 Justify w all w all w all w all - evven California Chromes years with the $170 super the super high 5 paid over $1200

might not have a super high 5 with only 8 horses

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 05-17-2018 at 09:25 PM.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Vinnie

Right now if the race were going in about the next 10 minutes, I am hoping for something nice underneath Justify. Although Good Magic no doubt is an exceptional horse, I am hoping that he regresses just a tad bit from his last effort maybe coming in third or fourth, or heck, even 5th would be great..

Really like the w/ underneath in some sort of fashion for the Trifecta and the Super on a Swing just to try and make a little bit of coin. Honestly, very much pulling for Justify to just take it to the house and get the opportunity at another Triple Crown attempt. God willing he and all other horses are fine moving forward at the completion of the race. Pretty firm on the belief that Sporting Chance, Ten fold and Diamond King are in a bit over their heads in this race. Despise the sloppy going, so, it is the only race that I will be taking shot at on the Preakness card.

Good Luck to all this weekend......

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 02:15 AM   #8
jay68802

Be at Fonner Friday for sure, going to try to be there Sat but my sons graduation is Sunday, and got a full weekend, Good luck.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 AM   #9
boys at tosconova

3rd postion seems hard. 4th even harder. and that's throwing out diamond king. seems like those positions can go a many number of different ways. espeically if justy and GM draw away

quip -might get tired trying to keep up early, and if they pull away he will be vulnerable

lone sailor- only asking him to finish 3rd here..would anyone be surprised..nope

sporting chance - ran a nice BG..another one who could easily finish 3rd

tenfold- quip only beat him by 1/2 length..longshit special..lol

bravazo- not a big fan..people are really emphasising a wide trip in the derby and now they love the horse..i guess based on that race he can finish 3rd.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
beachwood

Hi, 1.00 Super 7/5/ All/All =30$ And There Is A Super Hi 5 And 10 Cent Supers Beachwood
beachwood is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #11
señorclipclop

$50 Tri / /
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
papillon

If it's like today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
For the Derby my dad and I had several friends that wanted to pool money for a tri or super for the derby. We ended up with 10 people throwing in $20 each and ended up hitting a $1 tri which actually lost money...paying out $14 to each person was a real pain.... anyways.... they all want to throw $5 in for the Preakness and want me and my dad to come up with the bet just like we did for the Derby. They want to play a super, but I also mentioned playing a exact5 and they were up for that as well.

Parameters for the bet is basically that everyone agreed they liked Justify or Good Magic to win (of course) so both will have to be used on top, and other than that it's up to me to figure out how to structure the rest of the bet. Right now I'm leaning towards an exact5 with //Key/ALL/ALL for $40 and a $1 super with the same horses for $10. The problem is, who is going to be that key horse that runs third if the chalk runs 1-2?

Anyways, sorry for the long winded post. Would just like to get others ideas on how they might structure a super or exact5.
I would avoid anyone who isn't likely to make the lead in the 2 path from the gate and finish without a speck on them. It may change, but today being 1 or 2 in paths 2 or 3, was where you wanted to be for the most part. The rail looked pretty ugly, the 4 path as well...so basically, it is shaping up to be an identical race to the derby.

I would assume Quip is going to try his best to sieze the 2 path to keep Good Magic out of it. With Lone Sailor next to him, he should be able to.

If Justify is as fast and nimble as they say he is, he should be able to slide over to the 3 path cutting Good Magic off, and then he and Quip will exchange paths and cruise on the lead to the wire.

straight, or boxed, though unless Justify implodes, my money is on Quip finding a way to snatch defeat from the teeth of victory if he and Justify are 1/2 heading to the wire, so the box is likely a waste of money.

If Quip can't sieze the 2 path and/or Justify goes back to being a less sharp breaker, Good Magic and Tenfold may be able slide into the 2 and 3 paths. Then it depends on how well you think a horse with a bruised foot will do running in quicksand...all that mud pressing harder and harder on that bruise...

I boxed a $5 Exacta on with a $5 win bet on

It was my money from my saver bet on Good Magic in the derby.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

Justify wins or off-the board. Lone Sailor is the lone closer.

50cent Supers

// / =$16

and
/ / / =$16

and
/// =$16
($48 TOTAL)

50 cent tri // =$2

$50
Old 05-19-2018, 02:46 AM   #14
MNslappy

Interesting that the year AP won the triple crown, Tale of Verve finished second in the Preakness and paid $19 to Place. The $1 exacta paid 62-1. And the tri, with AP on top, paid $500 because Firing Line and Dortmund, the other two top contenders in that race, didn't hit the board.
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: