Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #1606
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Bird-brain does yet another favor for his oil buddies and strips wildlife protections that have been in place for 100 years..

https://twitter.com/audubonsociety/s...39646961451010

https://twitter.com/NRDC/status/984853730049871873
You and all your friends should go live in the artic circle, where most of the wildlife is still 'protected'.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #1607
schweitz

It costs me $20 to $35 to ship a package at the post office or at UPS with 4 to 5 day delivery. I order from Amazon (Prime member) and the same size and weight package gets to me in 2 days for free freight. I KNOW nobody is making any money on delivery and I really can't see how Amazon is making a profit on my purchase with the prices they charge.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #1608
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The USPS is required by law to fund it's retirement account upfront. An absurd stipulation put on it by congress.
That's why most businesses no longer have pensions. The govt at all levels needs to take a page from private business and get out of guaranteed pensions. Just provide deferred compensation plans (similar to 401k) and add an employer benefit to it. If private company employees can only get 401k's, why can't public employees live the same? These pensions are costing we the people a small fortune to fund.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #1609
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
You and all your friends should go live in the artic circle, where most of the wildlife is still 'protected'.
Speaking of wildlife, that’s a vermin response
Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #1610
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
That's why most businesses no longer have pensions. The govt at all levels needs to take a page from private business and get out of guaranteed pensions. Just provide deferred compensation plans (similar to 401k) and add an employer benefit to it. If private company employees can only get 401k's, why can't public employees live the same? These pensions are costing we the people a small fortune to fund.
This has nothing to do with pensions. It has to do with how they are funded. They have to be funded up front.

In laymans if I am a pensioner bringing in $35k from the USPS they are required to maintain $2,625,000 in that fund for me at all times. No other business on the planet operates on that model but Congress required it for them.

Perhaps it's just their health fund... maybe both. Can't remember but point is they CAN'T offer those things they have to use this ridiculous model required by congress.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 04-15-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #1611
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
This has nothing to do with pensions. It has to do with how they are funded. They have to be funded up front.

In laymans if I am a pensioner bringing in $35k from the USPS they are required to maintain $2,625,000 in that fund for me at all times. No other business on the planet operates on that model but Congress required it for them.

Perhaps it's just their health fund... maybe both. Can't remember but point is they CAN'T offer those things they have to use this ridiculous model required by congress.
We are approaching the conversation from different directions. I'm saying the govt should get out of the pension business for that and other reasons. Period. Freeze all current pensions and go the route of 401k type vehicles. It would save us many billion over time.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #1612
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
We are approaching the conversation from different directions. I'm saying the govt should get out of the pension business for that and other reasons. Period. Freeze all current pensions and go the route of 401k type vehicles. It would save us many billion over time.
Ahh... Got it.

Felt icky defending the post office anyway. Just pointing out a lot of their financial woes rest largely on the lawmaker not their own doing.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #1613
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Last mile is a figure of speech. Amazon has 35 distribution centers. They deliver the package to the USPS from the Amazon location closest to the customer.

Citigroup, without knowledge of what rates Amazon pays, says the USPS is losing money on that business.

The USPS says that they make money on Amazon and on other e-commerce shippers, and would be financially worse off without them. Who you gonna believe?
I don't like either of your choices...this is how I think it will play out.....

At the present, Donald Trump occupies the biggest 'bully pulpit' in the world and he knows how to use it. Jeff Bezos is the CEO of one of the largest companies in USA that has never turned a profit. He chose the PO to help prop up his empire with another entity that has not turned a profit in decades and heavily subsidize by tax payers. I think DT has chosen his targets well....lets see how Mr. Bozos likes fighting the federal government. In the end tax payers will win and DT will kill two birds with one stone.

As a sidebar I put Soros and Bezos in the same kayak.

I know....it is very ambitious.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #1614
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
At the present, Donald Trump occupies the biggest 'bully pulpit' in the world and he knows how to use it. Jeff Bezos is the CEO of one of the largest companies in USA that has never turned a profit. He chose the PO to help prop up his empire with another entity that has not turned a profit in decades and heavily subsidize by tax payers. I think DT has chosen his targets well....

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ce-task-force/
Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #1615
FantasticDan
gelding

-------->

<-------
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #1616
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

See your tweet and raise you...

0bama should have brought those guys in Benghazi home, too.
But he didn't lift a finger to help them
He left them ALL to die in Africa.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #1617
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I don't like either of your choices...this is how I think it will play out.....

At the present, Donald Trump occupies the biggest 'bully pulpit' in the world and he knows how to use it. Jeff Bezos is the CEO of one of the largest companies in USA that has never turned a profit. He chose the PO to help prop up his empire with another entity that has not turned a profit in decades and heavily subsidize by tax payers. I think DT has chosen his targets well....lets see how Mr. Bozos likes fighting the federal government. In the end tax payers will win and DT will kill two birds with one stone.

This is the whole point. This issue is a personal pissing-match between Trump and Bezos, and Trump is pissing into the wind. Trump may have a bully pulpit, but he has no authority.

Postal rates are set by an independent federal commission. The president appoints the members, but has no further authority over them. He can't tell them what to do and he can't fire them. Trump is wasting time and money, such as his appointment of a task force to investigate the USPS, on an issue he cannot do anything about. Only Congress can change the process, and Congress can't figure out how to change their socks lately.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #1618
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
0bama should have brought those guys in Benghazi home, too.
But he didn't lift a finger to help them
He left them ALL to die in Africa.
Sigh.. deflections and delusions.. something Tom is ever so familiar with..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...275_story.html

Quote:
You’ll never guess who comes off as a hero of the Republican-drafted House Benghazi committee’s majority report: President Obama.

Within 90 minutes of the Sept. 11, 2012, surprise attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound that killed Ambassador J.  Christopher Stevens and an aide, the report tells us, Obama had told his secretary of defense and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to do everything possible, implicitly including using military force, to protect Americans.

These were “very clear directions,” according to Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), one of Obama’s harshest critics on the panel.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #1619
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You are referring to the cover up, right?

The real story has been told by those on the ground.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #1620
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
This is the whole point. This issue is a personal pissing-match between Trump and Bezos, and Trump is pissing into the wind. Trump may have a bully pulpit, but he has no authority.

Postal rates are set by an independent federal commission. The president appoints the members, but has no further authority over them. He can't tell them what to do and he can't fire them. Trump is wasting time and money, such as his appointment of a task force to investigate the USPS, on an issue he cannot do anything about. Only Congress can change the process, and Congress can't figure out how to change their socks lately.
I don't see him as a jealous person and think he is trying to stabilize America. I see Bozos as a piranha but I know the markets will eventually take care of him. Just hope DT gives him a gentle push. I think the task force is the first step of solving the pension problems at the USPS and throughout government. It is not a problem they can be solved by growth.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: