Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #166
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
I believe the bill couldn't be voted on.

"Washington (CNN)Legislation to prevent the government from shutting down failed Friday night in the Senate ahead of the midnight deadline. The total on the procedural motion was 50-49, but 60 votes were needed to advance the bill."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politi...own/index.html
I was referring to the immigration bill put forth by the gang of six. It's passage would have prevented shut down. If there was no fear of that happening GOP leadership would have put it up for a vote.

If it did pass it would put Trump in one hell of a bind.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #167
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I don't get it. It's like the cult of personality you see in documentaries on North Korea.
Yeah, I bet it is.

You see, this is why you get so much shit. Total hyperbole like that.

You want to know why Trump supporters give him passes on things you think they should be howling over?

It's quite simple really. A smart guy like you should have already come up with this easy explanation.

I'm sure, like me, you peruse various news sites, both big time and small time, both on TV and on the web. What do you see on these sites? You see tons and tons of articles, opinion pieces and whatnot on Trump. Apparently, Trump sells.

And what are the vast majority of these news pieces and opinion pieces about? They are (the vast majority anyway), negative stories...hit pieces...and lots of time, some really PETTY stuff. Even this, I'm sure you would agree with me.

Thus, those that support him, they see all this stuff. Including the real petty shit that NOBODY would have cared about under any other administration (even BUSH II, believe it or not).

And these supporters are like HOLY SHIT man, enough already! What is going on here?

And after a while, the numbing effect comes into play, and you start NOT paying attention to ANY OF IT anymore, because the vast majority of it is still garbage that nobody really cares about.

And they're so tired of this shit, that any IMPORTANT SHIT that they might care about or might disagree with, GETS A PASS. That's right...they give Trump a pass on something that might not meet the conservative sniff test.

The constant bombardment of bullshit on top of bullshit has made them immune to stuff that maybe they shouldn't be immune to under normal circumstances.

Call it BS overload or information overload or whatever you want to call it.

All of it starts to fall under one umbrella.

The media has turned this presidency into one giant shit show for many.

And that's why Trump supporters don't care much about things they might want to care about, coming from this President.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #168
fast4522

Quote:
I was referring to the immigration bill put forth by the gang of six. It's passage would have prevented shut down. If there was no fear of that happening GOP leadership would have put it up for a vote.

If it did pass it would put Trump in one hell of a bind.
No one is going to give them a pass and make 5 to 6 million illegals legitimate, wish anything you want but that is never going to happen.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #169
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, I bet it is.

You want to know why Trump supporters give him passes on things you think they should be howling over?

It's quite simple really. A smart guy like you should have already come up with this easy explanation.

I'm sure, like me, you peruse various news sites, both big time and small time, both on TV and on the web. What do you see on these sites? You see tons and tons of articles, opinion pieces and whatnot on Trump. Apparently, Trump sells.

And what are the vast majority of these news pieces and opinion pieces about? They are (the vast majority anyway), negative stories...hit pieces...and lots of time, some really PETTY stuff. Even this, I'm sure you would agree with me.

Thus, those that support him, they see all this stuff. Including the real petty shit that NOBODY would have cared about under any other administration (even BUSH II, believe it or not).

And these supporters are like HOLY SHIT man, enough already! What is going on here?

And after a while, the numbing effect comes into play, and you start NOT paying attention to ANY OF IT anymore, because the vast majority of it is still garbage that nobody really cares about.

And they're so tired of this shit, that any IMPORTANT SHIT that they might care about or might disagree with, GETS A PASS. That's right...they give Trump a pass on something that might not meet the conservative sniff test.

The constant bombardment of bullshit on top of bullshit has made them immune to stuff that maybe they shouldn't be immune to under normal circumstances.

And that's why Trump supporters don't care much about things they might want to care about, coming from this President.
... and the detractors are jealous
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #170
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
No one is going to give them a pass and make 5 to 6 million illegals legitimate, wish anything you want but that is never going to happen.
You are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Tom said there was no chance of anything passing to avoid shutdown. What I said was I think there is a chance the gang of six bill would pass. If there wasn't a chance the Republicans would have let a vote on it occur that way when it failed they could truly say that it's the democrats fault.

But...

They didn't let a vote happen because IF it had actually passed the President would be in a real shitty bind, a shithole if you will . Because if he vetoed it HE would have 100% been responsible for the shut down. The party leadership did him a solid by not risking it's potential passage.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #171
schweitz

The party leadership did him a solid by not risking it's potential passage.[/QUOTE]

They did the country a favor by no risking it's potential passage.
schweitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #172
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, I bet it is.

I hate to tell you this but you can't really call what I said hyperbole and then rationalize why people actually fit that description.

Most of those hit pieces are in fact case after case of Trump opening his mouth and inserting his foot. Those are brought on by himself. What else is amazing is the fact that people actually defend some of these things he's reported as saying while he is actually denying them!

As far as hit pieces and "unconfirmed sources" can we just cut the bullshit right there? Those same hit pieces and unconfirmed sources were sacred on here for 8 years.

I believed some of them then and I believe some of them now. What I do find particularly amazing though is watching the mental gymnastics some people twist themselves into to justifying one set of beliefs now when this board allows one to easily search how they felt prior.

The "Turn off the lights... and put out the sign" thread is particularly comical right now to me.

As an aside I'm glad you can at least admit the dude gets tons of passes from his fans when they should be expecting a bit more out of him. That's at least honest.

Being honest his rule thus far has been very Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio despite a foreign policy that is at best muddled.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 01-20-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #173
fast4522

Quote:
You are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Tom said there was no chance of anything passing to avoid shutdown. What I said was I think there is a chance the gang of six bill would pass. If there wasn't a chance the Republicans would have let a vote on it occur that way when it failed they could truly say that it's the democrats fault.

But...

They didn't let a vote happen because IF it had actually passed the President would be in a real shitty bind, a shithole if you will . Because if he vetoed it HE would have 100% been responsible for the shut down. The party leadership did him a solid by not risking it's potential passage.
Just like your buddy Harry Reid stopped everything, count the majority leader will vote block Chuck Schumer.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #174
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Just like your buddy Harry Reid stopped everything, count the majority leader will vote block Chuck Schumer.
I'd appreciate if you'd stop making up shit.

Where have I ever said anything positive about Harry Reid?

Did my post not make sense to you?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #175
fast4522

Quote:
I'd appreciate if you'd stop making up shit.

Where have I ever said anything positive about Harry Reid?

Did my post not make sense to you?
He was your boy with the cattle land grazing standoff.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #176
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz View Post
The party leadership did him a solid by not risking it's potential passage.
They did the country a favor by no risking it's potential passage.[/QUOTE]

The President would have had to veto it. Hence my whole point that shutdown possibly could have been averted but party leadership decided not to risk it.

In Tom's giant tirade (big for him) the only thing I'm not sure about was this statement:

Originally Posted by Tom
It was pre-planned to do this on Trump's anniversary. There was 0 change any bill would have been passed. 0. Nadda. As in 0bama, and NObrah.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #177
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
As far as hit pieces and "unconfirmed sources" can we just cut the bullshit right there? Those same hit pieces and unconfirmed sources were sacred on here for 8 years.
Big difference there is that HERE and a few other places is where you would find those hit pieces and "unconfirmed sources" the past eight years.

NOW, you find them plastered all over the home news page of MSN.com and the WaPo...for starters.

This is what I'm talking about.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #178
elysiantraveller

Quote:
He was your boy with the cattle land grazing standoff.

The Bundy thing?!!?

Yup definitely my boy. Hitting the sauce early today?
Old 01-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #179
fast4522

Quote:

The Bundy thing?!!?

Yup definitely my boy. Hitting the sauce early today?
You lean too far, your branded. Not just me you know, write it off but don't expect that there will be open minds.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #180
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
It reflects badly on all involved, when the job doesn't get done.

A CNN poll shows that the Democrats’ push for amnesty is the big loser in the government shutdown fight — and likely will hurt Democrats in the 2018 midterm elections.
According to CNN:

56% overall say approving a budget agreement to avoid a shutdown is more important than continuing the DACA program, while just 34% choose DACA over a shutdown. Democrats break narrowly in favor of DACA — 49% say it’s more important vs. 42% who say avoiding a shutdown is the priority — while majorities of both Republicans (75%) and independents (57%) say avoiding a shutdown is more important.
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply