Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #16
luisbe

I won't name all of them but just my 3 fave: Mnr, Woo, DeD.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbe View Post
I won't name all of them but just my 3 fave: Mnr, Woo, DeD.
Thank you so much, Luis. I just hope I haven’t lost a length or two during this extended break. Time will tell.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #18
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Thank you so much, Luis. I just hope I haven’t lost a length or two during this extended break. Time will tell.

Oh No Peter.....Please don't not even imply "The cue is in tha rack" for you!
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #19
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
My instant mute announcer list, in order, based on either inaccuracy, voice quality, not impartial due to their betting habits, screaming incoherently, or just can't follow the field/race flow correctly.

Colonial
Belterra
Rillito
Ellis-Turfay
Fonner
Prairie Meadows
NYRA backup
Retama
Sunland
Oaklawn
Yeah. What's wrong with Jason?

I especially liked your "not impartial due to their betting habits" criteria for elimination.

I'd be very interested in how you quantify that. Examples would be fun to review.

One of the strongest 6th posts I've ever seen on PA.

You must have a vast horse racing skill set.

Good to have you on board.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #20
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Yeah. What's wrong with Jason?

I especially liked your "not impartial due to their betting habits" criteria for elimination.

I'd be very interested in how you quantify that. Examples would be fun to review.

One of the strongest 6th posts I've ever seen on PA.

You must have a vast horse racing skill set.

Good to have you on board.
Hey Vic, hope you are well. I feel very sorry for the local business there in Hot Springs. Rockys, the Ohio Club, etc. must be getting killed
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
Hey Vic, hope you are well. I feel very sorry for the local business there in Hot Springs. Rockys, the Ohio Club, etc. must be getting killed
We are well. Thanks for asking. Everyone, everywhere is getting crushed. Horrible time for ALL of us in our lives. Stay safe.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
We are well. Thanks for asking. Everyone, everywhere is getting crushed. Horrible time for ALL of us in our lives. Stay safe.
Well said. It sucks everywhere.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #23
dilanesp

Just a story about announcers and betting habits, related to me by my parents.

In the 1930's, Seabiscuit, among other things, made Joe Hernandez, the announcer at the California tracks as well as Caliente, a big star, with his dramatic descriptions of Seabiscuit's big races.

But in the 1937 Santa Anita Handicap, which Seabiscuit lost to Rosemont by a nose, in the stretch, Hernandez suddenly shouts "Here comes Time Supply!" when Time Supply is making a mild, ineffectual move behind the leaders.

It became an open secret among race fans and sportswriters in California that Hernandez had a large bet on Time Supply. He was rooting over the p.a. system.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #24
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Just a story about announcers and betting habits, related to me by my parents.

In the 1930's, Seabiscuit, among other things, made Joe Hernandez, the announcer at the California tracks as well as Caliente, a big star, with his dramatic descriptions of Seabiscuit's big races.

But in the 1937 Santa Anita Handicap, which Seabiscuit lost to Rosemont by a nose, in the stretch, Hernandez suddenly shouts "Here comes Time Supply!" when Time Supply is making a mild, ineffectual move behind the leaders.

It became an open secret among race fans and sportswriters in California that Hernandez had a large bet on Time Supply. He was rooting over the p.a. system.
Did anyone ever ask Joe if that was true?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:
Did anyone ever ask Joe if that was true?
Supposedly, he admitted it to his friends at the track. But it doesn't appear in anything on the record, so who knows.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #26
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Supposedly, he admitted it to his friends at the track. But it doesn't appear in anything on the record, so who knows.
Well announcers do bet.

If you want to compare and contrast a big hit winning call and a big hit losing call pull up ShaShaShakemeup and Alkhatam.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
To have a stellar career as an analyst, as an announcer, as a trainer or as a pro-horseplayer, all involve two must haves.....First, you must have a real passion/fire and secondly, you must work as hard and smart as the best in the game do, to succeed.

I don't believe anyone feels like it's a job, it's a blessing....Doing the thing you love and getting paid for it. How does it get any better than that, in this life?

Never be afraid to aim for being the best, at whatever endeavor you choose, you'll only be cheating yourself out of a remarkable life.
I too used to think that you needed a "passion" for the game in order to become a pro horseplayer...but I changed my thinking on this when a saw our ex-member Raybo admit here that he got to be a pro-level player even though he found horse-betting to be a "tiresome bore". So... I no longer consider "passion" to be a prerequisite for horse-betting "success".

As far as race-calling is concerned...I am not turned off by the "monotony" of a 'boring' race call. It's when the race-caller takes it upon himself to infuse added "enthusiasm" into the race by screaming at the top of his lungs as the horses near the wire, that I start rolling my eyes as I reach for the volume knob. Give me an accurate even cadence and I am happy, even without the race-caller's hysterics. The horses supply enough drama, IMO.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I too used to think that you needed a "passion" for the game in order to become a pro horseplayer...but I changed my thinking on this when a saw our ex-member Raybo admit here that he got to be a pro-level player even though he found horse-betting to be a "tiresome bore". So... I no longer consider "passion" to be a prerequisite for horse-betting "success".
If you're doing it right, it actually should be pretty boring...lol
Old 04-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #29
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
If you're doing it right, it actually should be pretty boring...lol
See? When you are right...even I can't disagree with you.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #30
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You need real fire and passion to GET to that "pro" level....Once there, you have to "work", and apply "smarter" methodologies to STAY at that level and ahead of the curve..Then the routine and boredom sets in.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: