Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #46
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Fonner Park is a nice little track that I was able to visit back in the early 2000's.

And yes, they are enjoying the fruits of being one of the very few tracks running, and it does not hurt that their field sizes are very good. Next year they will see a return to their typical handles, but I wonder if they will keep the Mon-Wed schedule rather than their usual Fri-Sun one.

BTW they are on Derby Wars too.

Yesterday I played a pick 3 for $80.

I was alive in 5 tickets, which would have paid approximately $100, $350, $375, $700, and $1200.

At least I made a few dollars when the $100 combo came in.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #47
Robert Fischer
clean money

Enjoyed capping that mandatory p-5 day.

There is some occasional value if you do the work.

Saw some questionable rides, a bad call by the stewards, and horses going in and out of form (something I actually like)...

it's a playable track to throw a few small bets on opinions, and roll the dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I watch all the races, nothing else to do. I've even bet a few and somehow have eked out a small + ROI while betting peanuts. But I could never take this place seriously for one reason. The jockeys absolutely stink. They all look terrible on a horse and I can't imagine they would win a race at any mid-level track, let alone a good one.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #48
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Next year they will see a return to their typical handles, but I wonder if they will keep the Mon-Wed schedule rather than their usual Fri-Sun one.
If their bread-and-butter is on-track betting, I'd guess they would have to go back to week-ends to get the attendance.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #49
wisconsin

Fonner's 3rd is what we are talking about. The 9 rolls up to challenge at the top of the stretch and is not persevered with at all.

Looks like the was the chosen horse, NOBODY tried to even get/save 3rd in the stretch except maybe the , almost like every jock had a - all Exacta.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #50
fastfasterfastest

Felt the same way just now watching the 5th. I bet the and although she probably doesn't beat the I don't like the none effort from mid stretch through the wire by the rider.
fastfasterfastest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #51
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfasterfastest View Post
Felt the same way just now watching the 5th. I bet the and although she probably doesn't beat the I don't like the none effort from mid stretch through the wire by the rider.
Sure looked to me like the rider was tugging the right reign, and once the horse slungshot into 2nd on the turn, that was all you were gonna get.

Not another penny from me.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #52
thaskalos

Worst track in the country...IMO.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #53
wisconsin

The last race is a shining example of what happens when everyone is trying, even the 3rd horse is ridden out to the wire...it so obvious when they are not trying.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #54
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You must really lose at this track! I personally love betting smaller tracks. Fonner has been pretty good for me on horse touneys!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #55
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
You must really lose at this track! I personally love betting smaller tracks. Fonner has been pretty good for me on horse touneys!
Caught the late Double, 1 nice tri, and 4 exactas today. Do not understand the bitching.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #56
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
....we get it. You don’t like Fonner. If you somehow ever find yourself in the middle of Nebraska in the spring, I live 20 miles from the track and will glady show you some Nebraska hospitality at the track that will at least move Fonner up from “worst track” to at least “second worse track”. Fonner for 95% of people (outside of this year) is about getting a table with a bunch of your friends and drinking buckets of beer while betting a couple bucks on a name or number of a horse you like. It’s sometimes a welcomed break from the monotonous grind of handicapping races to just head out there and pound a few back and throw in a few bucks into a show parlay with your buddies that know nothing about racing.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #57
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
....we get it. You don’t like Fonner. If you somehow ever find yourself in the middle of Nebraska in the spring, I live 20 miles from the track and will glady show you some Nebraska hospitality at the track that will at least move Fonner up from “worst track” to at least “second worse track”. Fonner for 95% of people (outside of this year) is about getting a table with a bunch of your friends and drinking buckets of beer while betting a couple bucks on a name or number of a horse you like. It’s sometimes a welcomed break from the monotonous grind of handicapping races to just head out there and pound a few back and throw in a few bucks into a show parlay with your buddies that know nothing about racing.
I even drink with people I don't like.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #58
classhandicapper

I think I've made 1 or 2 very small bets at Fonner in my life.

One day I was looking at a card for some reason related to work and saw a top speed figure horse that was obviously also going to get loose very easily and that was just claimed by a trainer that was great off the claim last out. I thought the horses was going to be 2/5 or 3/5. I looked at the board and he was 3-1. I thought the price was so ridiculous I assumed there had to be some inside money on the race or there was something I was missing because I didn't know the track, trainers, riders etc.. I bet a few dollars on it anyway. The horse won eased up by over 10 lengths and paid over $8. I don't think I've ever seen a horse misbet that badly in my life at a major track.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #59
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Having married a woman born and raised in Nebraska I have had the opportunity to visit some NE tracks for the last 35 years. I have been to tracks all over the US and several in Europe but have never been treated better than how I was treated at NE tracks. I'll never forget my first visit to Aksarben when every teller would smile and say thank you after I was through betting. Quite a contrast from the usual gruff tellers I would encounter in CA or NY.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #60
Immortal6

Some people may think it’s fake nicety, or odd that people don’t find it necessary to be rude to strangers but it is just how so many of us are raised here. My parents taught me from a young age that it doesn’t cost anything to be open and welcoming to others. “Nebraska Nice” is a real thing and my offer stands to Thaskalos or any others on this board that they can PM me any time they somehow find their way to Fonner on a cross country road trip and if possible, I will give them a tour of the place, barns included, and buy them a beer.

Honestly, I’ll be glad when Fonner is a blip on the radar again because it means we are over this Covid BS and are back to living our lives.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: