Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
highnote

DRF Toteboard

I was watching the betting pools on DRF's toteboard and noticed that they are way behind other toteboards and sometimes they don't update them.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Now that BRIS/Twinspires's SuperTote is no longer useful I'm trying to find a substitute. DRF's tote does NOT look like a good alternative at this time.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
GMB@BP

yea, thats a tote I never had any faith in.

what happened to Bris?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
JerryBoyle
Veteran

In my experience, AmWager does a very good job of updating tote info quickly. At least compared to Twin Spires.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I always find I have to keep reloading the page with AmWager if I want to see accurate information regarding stacked bets, active bets, and completed bets.

AmWager isn't the most stable platform either...

But yes, once you're looking at a specific race, I think their tote updates are very good (even including a timer which shows you how long it's been since the tote last updated)
Old 05-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I always find I have to keep reloading the page with AmWager if I want to see accurate information regarding stacked bets, active bets, and completed bets.

AmWager isn't the most stable platform either...

But yes, once you're looking at a specific race, I think their tote updates are very good (even including a timer which shows you how long it's been since the tote last updated)
Yep, I've noticed these as well. Active bets not clearing immediately after the race is made official, wealth updating inconsistently after payouts (i.e. sometimes immediately, sometimes 30s or more), closed tickets showing up at inconsistent times, etc. I think they'll be able to work them out, and in all cases a refresh of the entire page clears it up.

Even with that and though I haven't used all ADWs, I'd guess that AmWager is the most technologically "cutting edge" or at least one of them. It's clear they're trying to maintain a modern site that listens to events asynchronously so reloading isn't required. However, they've yet to work out some of the bugs like you've mentioned. The thing I like the most abt them is that they maintain a nicely documented API for those who wish to code to it
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Yep, I've noticed these as well. Active bets not clearing immediately after the race is made official, wealth updating inconsistently after payouts (i.e. sometimes immediately, sometimes 30s or more), closed tickets showing up at inconsistent times, etc. I think they'll be able to work them out, and in all cases a refresh of the entire page clears it up.

Even with that and though I haven't used all ADWs, I'd guess that AmWager is the most technologically "cutting edge" or at least one of them. It's clear they're trying to maintain a modern site that listens to events asynchronously so reloading isn't required. However, they've yet to work out some of the bugs like you've mentioned. The thing I like the most abt them is that they maintain a nicely documented API for those who wish to code to it
I can't help but join with a mini rant. After AmWager's latest 2.0 upgrade XX months back the entire site has been unreliable and difficult to use. The new technical support team in not receptive to hearing that the upgrade has caused numerous support issues (which it has) and enough people are complaining, the old tech folks are gone and we have a new set of folks that are dismissive of the ongoing problems, it's unfortunate they now have the possibility of being the most advanced platform but fall way short on the technical side, so it will be the platform of what was almost good, another example of "acceptable bugs" mentality of today's business universe. You can call and provided detailed logs, I received no response at all. Most of the problems I'm think relate to their implementation of web socket protocols and they are also over taxing their servers as well, they never even released a beta of the new site before rolling it out to the world, just flip the switch and deal with the aftermath, millennial and/or outsourced technical work is in play here I'm assume it will never be fixed.

Last edited by BCOURTNEY; 05-14-2018 at 01:20 AM.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 01:23 AM   #7
BCOURTNEY

Quote:

FYI - depending on the web browser you use, the Canary version of Google's Chrome (the beta) works much better with Amwager, for a number of technical reasons, it's not a fix but a lot smoother experience, if you don't mind rolling around in a beta browser.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:27 AM   #8
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
yea, thats a tote I never had any faith in.

what happened to Bris?
Bris dropped Supertote (and those whom used to scrape it) into the abyss without warning, welcome to Twinspires. Its all about making the data hard to get too, that is what brings new players in droves to the game.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:28 AM   #9
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
I was watching the betting pools on DRF's toteboard and noticed that they are way behind other toteboards and sometimes they don't update them.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Now that BRIS/Twinspires's SuperTote is no longer useful I'm trying to find a substitute. DRF's tote does NOT look like a good alternative at this time.
There should be a policy about in order to carry a signal you have to comply with a certain accuracy and timeliness of the data you disseminate since paying customers are making decisions based on it.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

What they should do is just screw the web and create a stand alone custom program.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY View Post
FYI - depending on the web browser you use, the Canary version of Google's Chrome (the beta) works much better with Amwager, for a number of technical reasons, it's not a fix but a lot smoother experience, if you don't mind rolling around in a beta browser.
Good to know...I had that going on my PC when I was trying to diagnose a problem with paceadvantage...easy enough to install and it works side by side with regular Chrome.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
highnote

Quote:
What they should do is just screw the web and create a stand alone custom program.
I think that used to be called Youbet.

Remember when you had to load the platform onto your computer using a disc?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
highnote

Quote:
The thing I like the most abt them is that they maintain a nicely documented API for those who wish to code to it
I had never heard of their API. Is there a link to that on their website?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Good to know...I had that going on my PC when I was trying to diagnose a problem with paceadvantage...easy enough to install and it works side by side with regular Chrome.
Yes, Canary (Goolge's betas) are pretty good at dealing with bad web site programming.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
classhandicapper

I think part of the problem is the timeliness and accuracy of feed being used and not necessarily the application displaying the odds. IMO, the best solution is watching the live feed from the track.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-20-2018 at 09:00 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply