Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-04-2018, 03:09 AM   #1
lamboguy

Orin Hatch retiring after 40 years

he has been my idea of a truly great senator for many years. i also loved Ted Kennedy.

speculation has it that Mitt Romney will be a cakewalk to get his seat. i hope not.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
The Mittster is a hero in the Beehive State after just about single handedly saving the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 after the corruption scandals almost derailed them.As the old saying goes,its his job if he wants it.
The only thing that might hurt him would be carpetbagger charges but he moved to Utah from Massachusetts in 2015.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 01-04-2018 at 07:02 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Ocala Mike

He would never be considered a "carpetbagger" - to the LDS flock he returned "home." http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=142493
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

34 years too late.
This is a disgusting example of why government doesn't work.
Singe term limits, period.
No matter who you are.

Politicians, like fruit, rot after a short period of time.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
he has been my idea of a truly great senator for many years. i also loved Ted Kennedy.

speculation has it that Mitt Romney will be a cakewalk to get his seat. i hope not.
Mary

Jo

Kopechne
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Mary

Jo

Kopechne
I believe there is a move out about Mary Jo and Teddy. And, of course, now that's he's dead, Hollywood was free to portray the ugly truth about him -- so, I've heard.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Saw III?
Old 01-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
34 years too late.
This is a disgusting example of why government doesn't work.
Singe term limits, period.
No matter who you are.

Politicians, like fruit, rot after a short period of time.
Experience can be a good thing, and it takes a while in office to learn the ropes, build up leadership, etc. And 90% of voters would say that term limits are a good thing, except for my guy.

Term limits contradict freedom of choice for voters. Term limits or not, voters are going to keep sending virtually the same people to Washington. The fix is to change the structure of Congress itself.

What is needed is to go back to the structure of Congress after the founding. Back then, being a member was a part time job. Congress met in late winter for a few months, got their work done, and went home. What the hail does this or any other Congress do in a year that they could do, or not do, in 2-3 months and then go home to a productive real job? And then the members would not need their huge staffs of $100K a year flunkies.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
What is needed is to go back to the structure of Congress after the founding. Back then, being a member was a part time job. Congress met in late winter for a few months, got their work done, and went home. What the hail does this or any other Congress do in a year that they could do, or not do, in 2-3 months and then go home to a productive real job? And then the members would not need their huge staffs of $100K a year flunkies.
Yes...being a member of Congress used to be a part-time job. But the Congressmen liked it so much...they voted for it to become a full-time position.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #10
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

In the primary I think Gov. Gary Herbert and Rep. Mia Love could give Romney a tussle.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Yes...being a member of Congress used to be a part-time job. But the Congressmen liked it so much...
...because they weren't qualified enough to hold down a real job.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Yes...being a member of Congress used to be a part-time job. But the Congressmen liked it so much...they voted for it to become a full-time position.
Seems like so very long ago when being a congressman was truly 'public service' ...

But then it became a 'profession' ... and that was way before it became what it is today: a racket!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #13
Ocala Mike

It's not only a "profession" now, it has the trappings of the world's oldest profession. I have more respect for those ladies than any congress critter (either party). They give you what they promise and always leave you satisfied!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
In the primary I think Gov. Gary Herbert and Rep. Mia Love could give Romney a tussle.
There is no primary. Utah is one of the few remaining states that nominates candidates through a convention process. Sometime this spring, people will gather at caucuses to select delegates who will attend the statewide convention to select a candidate.

This is a process that would nominally favor a grassroots candidate with a devoted base and the ability to organize. It’s why Michael Bennett is no longer in the Senate and Mike Lee is.

But before you get too excited about rubbing Mitt Romney’s nose in another defeat, you should look at the ground where this will occur.

Trump finished a distant third in the Republican contest in 2016 which isn’t a shock given his complete disinterest in organization. But he also received less than 50% of the vote in the general with Evan McMullen drawing off enough votes to keep him from the normal Republican supermajority in any statewide contest.

And Mitt Romney has polled around 70% in the statewide polls available. It’s a solidly Republican State. But it’s anything but a Donald Trump state.

If Romney runs, as seems likely, he’s as close to a shoo-in as exists.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
reckless
Veteran

Mitt Romney may be the most popular politician in the history of Utah. I believe he is a shoo-in if he does run for Hatch's seat.

I think Romney will be better served if Michael Bennett also decides he wants to be the GOP Senate candidate as well. Why? Because Romney will be able to then run to the right of Bennett, hopefully offsetting any early criticism that Romney is only running to be an Establishment thorn in Trump's side.

Being a thorn isn't the reason why Romney wants to be Senator -- he wants to be President in 2020 or 2024, whatever deems easier at the time.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply