Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #46
elysiantraveller

I agree with the above two posters.

If a teacher already has a CCW and would like to carry their weapon with them to school I guess I wouldn't really care but that sounds like it opens up a whole host of liability issues.

Thinking back on my time in High School out of the 40 or 50 faculty members I can think of 2 that armed I could trust to make a difference.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #47
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
This kid didn't fit the stereotype though (I.e., non athletic, video gamer). He was on the frosh football team.

I'm four years older than you apparently, grew up in both Dallas and ft worth for school years... "Big city schools", I'd disagree on weapons being easier to access back then. My dad owned weapons but they were locked in a gun safe. Totally not accessible, and ditto for all my friends / inner circle. I don't recall a single buddy having access to a weapon. Ever.

Kids nowadays seem to have access, no sweat. That's obvious since a school gets shot up every week. In McKinney Tx this month , a kid was arrested for making comments about shooting his school all to hell. Had access to weapons.

Banning weapons won't help, the cat is out of the bag. Arming teachers won't help (a book can be written on the subject. For every teacher in favor of being armed there are five or more that are not in favor). For the foreseeable future kids and teachers in schools are sitting ducks.

Gun rights nuts will get defensive, offer no viable solution for an educational setting. Same for their counterparts. It's a turd wrestling match....Have at it.
Now that you have opined on what "won't help", do you have any ideas for a solution?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #48
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
(A) Not long ago, an armed security officer didn't enter a school where a live shooter was active. Shoots down your theory. Pardon the pun.

(B) teachers as a whole have no interest in packing in a classroom. My wife owns a firearm, but insists this idea of teachers is insane for many reasons.... Look, if this doesn't make sense to you, you're not thinking things out. The profession has turned into a freak show to begin with. Now you're asking them to carry firearms? Lol.

(C) I never suggested "taking away guns". I'm not sure why some here have a problem with comprehending a simple sentence, I've done this dance before on this forum...The only way to stop the school massacres is to eliminate guns, but that isn't going to happen..... Is that hard to understand? What part of "its not going to happen" is hard to comprehend. This is reality and it's shitty. Guns are here to stay. So are kids with mental health issues that never developed coping skills. Bad mix. Dig it?

A--and just a few days ago a armed security offices shot a kid and stopped a potential school shooting. guess that means some men or peeps are not meant to be officers or cannot perform the job description.

B--some teachers do have an interest in conceal carrying firearms at school to protect the student, and its your opinion that its insane, for lots of teachers, parents of students, and students themselves want teachers to conceal carry firearms.

C--we already have laws for firearms the 2nd amendment and any infringement would be the start of full confiscation and more then likely the start of the 2nd civil war.you are correct Guns are here to stay and always have been.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #49
mrhorseplayer

2 major facts about this shooter

1-ILLEGALLY obtained the weapons

2-Entered a gun free zone to Shoot and kill students
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #50
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:

(C) I never suggested "taking away guns". I'm not sure why some here have a problem with comprehending a simple sentence, I've done this dance before on this forum...The only way to stop the school massacres is to eliminate guns, but that isn't going to happen..... Is that hard to understand?
I think you meant "The only way to stop the school gun massacres is to eliminate guns...", although many do believe the fallacy that all we have to do is simply "ban" guns and all school massacres go away.

Even if guns could somehow be "eliminated", it would certainly not stop school massacres. Guns may make it easier to carry out and get instant attention and, stoke controversy and outrage, but there are many ways to kill school children. No guns were used in the largest school massacre in Bath Michigan.

Last edited by xtb; 05-19-2018 at 10:06 AM.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #51
Inner Dirt

Quote:
This kid didn't fit the stereotype though (I.e., non athletic, video gamer). He was on the frosh football team.

I'm four years older than you apparently, grew up in both Dallas and ft worth for school years... "Big city schools", I'd disagree on weapons being easier to access back then. My dad owned weapons but they were locked in a gun safe. Totally not accessible, and ditto for all my friends / inner circle. I don't recall a single buddy having access to a weapon. Ever.

Kids nowadays seem to have access, no sweat. That's obvious since a school gets shot up every week. In McKinney Tx this month , a kid was arrested for making comments about shooting his school all to hell. Had access to weapons.

Banning weapons won't help, the cat is out of the bag. Arming teachers won't help (a book can be written on the subject. For every teacher in favor of being armed there are five or more that are not in favor). For the foreseeable future kids and teachers in schools are sitting ducks.

Gun rights nuts will get defensive, offer no viable solution for an educational setting. Same for their counterparts. It's a turd wrestling match....Have at it.
By access I was referring to the legal purchase of guns and gun possession laws. Back then even in California there was no waiting period to buy a rifle if you were 18 years old. Buying bullets was like buying cigarettes if you looked old enough you didn't get carded back then. As for "locked in a gun safe" you really think a 16 year old kid could not find where dad hid the key or wrote down the combination? To think that a higher percentage of parents these days leave guns laying around without locking them up than back in the day is utter nonsense. My dad was a cop, I was taught proper gun safety at a very young age and was routinely taken target shooting from the age of 7. I was around a lot of gun owners, the only reason anyone locked them up were because of small children or worried about theft. Most people with older children and small collections did not lock them up.

The mass shootings are not about access to guns, it is a mental health issue, something wrong with society and how kids are raised. The raising of soft coddled kids probably isn't helping anything. Things are different than 40 years ago.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 05-19-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #52
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

I don't support stiffer gun laws for legally obtaining firearms, other than some required education or training. However, I would support stiffer laws/penalties regarding storing firearms and possessing stolen/illegal guns. I recently toured our local police station with my son's cub scout den. I was watching a monitor with ticker of crimes in the county and surrounding area. I was amazed at how many of the crimes involved stolen guns, easily more than half.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #53
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan III View Post
With a President who behaves like this "
Trump told Howard Stern he would have 'nailed' 'crazy' Princess Diana but only 'if she took an HIV test'
A red herring. The president's sexual proclivities really have no bearing on his ability to be POTUS.

The country did OK with JFK and WJC at the helm, and they were every bit the horndog that Trump is...
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #54
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
(B) teachers as a whole have no interest in packing in a classroom. My wife owns a firearm, but insists this idea of teachers is insane for many reasons.... Look, if this doesn't make sense to you, you're not thinking things out. The profession has turned into a freak show to begin with. Now you're asking them to carry firearms? Lol.
Agree with this 1,001% to infinity.

Anybody promoting the "armed teachers" meme is an absolute idiot.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #55
lamboguy

i don't see the problem having certain teachers carry guns if they were trained how to react to a possible nut running around with an assault weapon.

you need every inch of the school monitored with camera's and a way to alert the teachers with the guns where to go in the event of an emergency. i would pay these teachers extra money as long as they are qualified to handle the situation.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #56
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The profession has turned into a freak show to begin with. Now you're asking them to carry firearms? Lol.
Not asking them, allowing them.
Most teachers I know or remember would shoot themselves.
But there are some, and we should allow them to if they want to and agree to proper training.

As it is right now, and there is NO DEBATE on this - Gun-Free Zone means Kill-Zone.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #57
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i don't see the problem having certain teachers carry guns if they were trained how to react to a possible nut running around with an assault weapon.

How many of the politically correct social justice warrior moonbats running our "educational" system today would be out front picketing the schools at the very idea of an armed teacher?

A lot of them are vehemently opposed to an armed security guard on the premises.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #58
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
How many of the politically correct social justice warrior moonbats running our "educational" system today would be out front picketing the schools at the very idea of an armed teacher?

A lot of them are vehemently opposed to an armed security guard on the premises.
We just let the teachers packing take care of them.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #59
Clocker

The shooter used a .38 revolver and a shotgun. The weapons belonged to his father. It is not known what access his father did or didn't allow him. I can't wait to see how the gun grabbers spin this into an assault weapon issue and a need for more restrictions on gun sales.

On the other hand, USA Today recognizes a difference, saying that these weapons are "less lethal" than assault weapons. That will be welcomed news to the deceased.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #60
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Only solution is to make it a state/regional issue.

Let the people decide for their area what they want to do. In Lincoln, NE we have police officers on guard at every school at major traffic times of the start of school, lunch, and when school is dismissed.

While having faculty members carrying guns seems crazy to some people, it isn't crazy at all where I live in which a solid percentage of people have some kind of hunting/shooting background. We wouldn't struggle in the least to find teachers/faculty or even volunteers to take on that duty.

All of these attackers are basically kids that are either in school, or shortly removed from school. They should be easy targets to stop for even mildly trained individuals or rudimentary security protocols to gain access to these buildings.

This is a serious question for America. Do you want to do something in your community to secure the safety of your children, or do you think some kind of gun grab or gun regulation change is going to have some kind of effect that will ensure the safety of your children over the next several weeks, months, or even years?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: