Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #31
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Oh, but don't you dare complain……. That's like pissing in the front row at church.

Shut up and bet. Right.
I remember when Toga used have a certain prestige about it.
Nowadays, it is Belmont North.
Same crap racing, nicer neighborhood.
And where else can you park your car for $30?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #32
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
And where else can you park your car for $30?
I was just at a site where a parking pass "just a 10 min. walk" (probably more like 20) are going for $51 and sold out days in advance.

Of course, I remember when concert tickets were cheap, too, before The Eagles changed all that. I peronally stopped buying their albums back in the day when they seemed like one of the first bands to charge outrageous ticket prices. They seem to have started that trend.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-28-2018 at 10:11 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #33
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I was just at a site where a parking pass "just a 10 min. walk" (probably more like 20) are going for $51 and sold out days in advance.

Of course, I remember when concert tickets were cheap, too, before The Eagles changed all that. I peronally stopped buying their albums back in the day when they seemed like one of the first bands to charge outrageous ticket prices. They seem to have started that trend.
This is pure supply and demand. Stadiums are not getting any bigger. The baby boomers were a huge generational cohort and when they got wealthy they could bid up ticket prices. If The Eagles didn't charge that money scalpers would.

Saratoga happens to be one of the few places in America where people actually want to see a horse race in large numbers. God knows why, but they do. So NYRA, which needs the money, charges what the market will bear.

And so does Del Mar.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #34
clicknow

Quote:
I remember when Toga used have a certain prestige about it.
I love reading twitter posts about people arguing over the "space" around their picnic tables.

Class: Lukas, still getting his wife to help him invite kids standing around in crowd to stand in the winners circle when he wins a race, for a memorable Saratoga moment. I always liked that about him. Magnanimous.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #35
biggestal99

Quote:

We always park in the back lot for the cost of free. Easy in and out.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #36
castaway01

Quote:

Paying $30 to park is ridiculous, but if it's not the going rate for ALL concerts and sporting events around here, it's close to it.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I took all those $30 parking fees and bought a Lazy Boy - guess what I "park" in it?

Saratoga is ok - I used to love to go there. Started going in 1977 for the Alabama. The anual PA get-togethers were terrific and I met a lot of great people there. Watching the Jim Dandy yesterday, I admit I was jonesin' for a bowl of red with hot sauce and a long, cleansing drink of the waters.

It is like puberty - everyone young should go there - it is like nothing else!
Old 07-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #38
burnsy
self medicated

I'm getting up there too. But I can still walk fast and well. The doctors are on my ass to walk all the time. I park on Fifth , Madison or Ludlow for free and walk in. Its been a tradition of mine for years. I walk so much this time of year, I lose weight. I never pay to park. Have enough ailments at my age but thank God my legs are fine. I buy a seasons pass and mostly print my own pp's. There are ways of getting around all the BS

Last edited by burnsy; 07-29-2018 at 11:36 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #39
Cholly

When I saw the entries I thought, "Another crappy NYRA five-horse race". Thought "This might be interesting to watch (I didn't), but no way is anybody in their right mind going to bet--NYRA will rightfully lose their ass on this one".

Wrong I was. Over a million bet on WPS alone. There was even $230K bet, in a FIVE horse race, into a trifecta fairly certain to pay no more than the $8 & 35-cents that it did. Boggles my mind that people somehow think they're going to find value and play these small fields.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #40
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The power of beer cannot be underestimated.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #41
Someday Silent

Quote:
The power of beer cannot be underestimated.
Wise words.

Also, two of the five horses in the Jim Dandy sure ran like they had tanked several cold ones.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #42
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
When I saw the entries I thought, "Another crappy NYRA five-horse race". Thought "This might be interesting to watch (I didn't), but no way is anybody in their right mind going to bet--NYRA will rightfully lose their ass on this one".

Wrong I was. Over a million bet on WPS alone. There was even $230K bet, in a FIVE horse race, into a trifecta fairly certain to pay no more than the $8 & 35-cents that it did. Boggles my mind that people somehow think they're going to find value and play these small fields.
If Saratoga sold a bet on the level of impurities in the Big Red Spring at least $100k would be handled on it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #43
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post

Vino Rosso was such a crappy favorite, I couldn't pass the race. I hope this dog shows up in the Travers and sucks more money.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #44
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Vino Rosso was such a crappy favorite, I couldn't pass the race. I hope this dog shows up in the Travers and sucks more money.
His race was strange to me.

He's always been a closer, but he has enough turn of foot to stay reasonably close as he demonstrated with a somewhat premature move in the Belmont. Yesterday, early in the race he looked like there was something wrong with him or like he hated the track. He never looked like he had any shot even when being asked. He eventually made a nice late run but at least half of that was probably how bad the other horses were.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-29-2018 at 03:12 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
His race was very strange.

He's always been a closer, but he has enough turn of foot to stay reasonably close as he demonstrated with a somewhat premature move in the Belmont. Yesterday, early in the race he looked like there was something wrong with him or he hated the track. He never looked like he had any shot. He eventually made a nice run but at least half of that was probably how bad the other horses were.
He is a goofy horse, never really seems to have it all together. Obviously talented but a head case IMO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply