Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

TIOGA DOWNS... Pen or the Micro-Chip

Tioga Downs starts their 2010 season May 1st with new Track Take Out REDUCTIONS
15% Win/Place/Show; 17% Exacta/Double and 21% for all other exotics

And to show our support and tell them... "WE LIKE IT" there's a fun little contest between computer picks and human 'cappers sponsored by HANA, that will be followed at Tioga's Web site. The picks by the 2 computer programs vs 2 human "paper and pen" cappers will posted in this thread for all the races this year along with daily ROI report updates.

To get as many people involved as possible we invite anyone (You will need PA membership to post) who would like to put up their own picks to play along. (Free to Enter No Fees) You can post your picks right here in this thread, and I will keep score. If we get enough people to play along (at least 6 more), and make picks for at least 80% of the races, then there will be a side-bar prize of a set of 20+ used Harness handicapping books going to the top finishing human 'capper. (More on this later).

To make things easier on an old man, please put your pick numbers for win, place and show, in that order, for each race on a separate line, and separate the picks with a dash (hyphen). Picks must be put up at least 1 hour before 1st race post time. If you pass a race, put in "pass" ....Some Examples...

r1 8-5-3
r2 pass
race 3 6-1-7 my best play of the day (if you want to add a short comment)
race#4..... 2-3-4
race 5------1-2-6
r6.......3-5-pass.......(if you have no pick 3)
and so forth

You will have one line for each race on the card, please show the date if picks are not for the date of posting.

Scoring will be based on a hypothetical $2 bet on First Choice to Win and the ROI on Win Wagers will the basis for determining the Contest Winner.
Scoring will also show the Year-to-Date ROI for 2$ Exacta Wagers Pick 1 on top of Pick 2 and Pick 3.

Late Scratches will be counted as a race played (with refund), no subs

The Computer Selectors are

SulkyPicker ...a program that I've been using for my picks here at PA and
Chatsworth Consortium ...a TrackMaster Selection Program.

The Pen and Paper 'cappers are

Mel and
Bobby Z

More information will be available at HANA's site soon.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/

and at Tioga Race Track Web site

http://www.tiogadowns.com/

USTA Tioga Track Fact Sheet

http://racing.ustrotting.com/tracksi.../2010/tgdn.pdf

Good Luck to All and let's show them...... "WE LIKE IT" ......with our hard earned $$$$$!
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
LottaKash

Ray, a way cool idea....I like it....Especially your little "side-bar" contest, NICE !!!...

Question tho, I would like to submit a pick or two or three, but do you have to do all the races ?....Hey Ray, you know me, I just can't pick-em all...

Good Luck Ray and Mel.....I'll be rootin for ya !!!

best,
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Thanks Johnny

Pretty much need to do at least 8 or 9 races a day (80% allows 2 passes) to stay eligible for the box of Goodies.
Your running ROIs will still be available.

Hey, make picks in 4 or 5 and let your granddaughter do the rest. or are you afraid she'll beat you.
Bret Harte
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
DeanT

Release is out here with some further information:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...592#post883592

It's on the blog too. Thanks to Mike at Pace for donating cold hard cash for the retired standardbreds!

Edit - I guess it is easier to reproduce it here.

What's Mightier, the Pen or the Micro-Chip? Contest and Handicapping Tools Announced for Tioga Meet

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(April, 28, 2010 - Charlottesville, VA) - In March, Tioga Downs, a harness track in Nichols, New York, announced they were offering decreased takeout on all bets for their meet, which opens May 1st. To show support for the track, who has been listening to their customers, HANA would like to announce the "Pen and Micro-Chip Challenge".

Each raceday, picks for Tioga will be given out from four handicappers. Two are computer programs, or data crunchers, and two will be from talented 'pen and paper' handicappers. At the end of the series we will tabulate the results, and declare a winner. A donation, supplied by HANA and Mike at Paceadvantage.com, will be made to the Standardbred Adoption Society of the winners choice.

The protagonists for the challenge:

In the micro-chip division we have Ray. Ray is a 67 year old retired chemist and self-taught computer programmer, living in Clarion, Pa. His interest in Standardbreds began in the 70's leading to part ownership of some trotters racing at The Meadows in the '80s. He laughingly claims to hold a perfect attendance award at the track from 1985-1991. Ray's home-grown handicapping program has shown positive ROI for several years, and he was recently featured in Trot Magazine's Horseplayer Edition.

Also representing the computers, Trackmaster (and the United States Trotting Association) has graciously donated the services of the "Chatsworth Consortium". These picks regularly sell for $10 per card, but they will be available free via the pick board, for the meet.

In the human category, we have assembled two handicappers with a wealth of knowledge. "Bobby Z", 55, started working at the Meadows Racetrack near Pittsburgh in the early 1970's. He was hooked, and has been since. Bobby also worked as an online race analyst for several tip sheets.

"There has been some off time the last two years and I actually thought I was done with it, but Tioga Downs' dropping of the takeout rates has brought me back online for the summer." he said.

Our final human handicapper is Mel. Mel is 64, from the Philadelphia area and has been playing for over 40 years.

"I started out with harness at the old Liberty Bell Park and Brandywine Raceway and was there for so many live racing days I cannot remember."

Mel mainly plays online, and is a dedicated and frequent poster to the picks section of Paceadvantage.com.

The challengers will be posting their picks in the harness racing section of Paceadvatage.com, and Tioga Downs is working on their handicapping website to post the picks there as well. If any thoroughbred players would like to lend a hand by betting into a harness track that is listening to them, now is your chance. These picks should give a good indoctrination into the harness game, from seasoned veterans, and excellent software.

HANA would like to thank both Tioga Downs for working with us, and the handicappers who are taking the time to support the track" said HANA President Jeff Platt. "We would like to give a special thank you to Trackmaster, for donating picks from a product that are normally part of their standard product line."

We will have continuing updates on our blog, and a side contest, with prizes, will be occurring on Paceadvantage.com in the harness section for any players who want to join in.

We wish Tioga Downs and everyone who supports them good luck and good racing.

To contact us at HANA, please email us at info @ hanaweb.org.

The Horseplayers Association of North America is a grassroots group of horseplayers, not affiliated with any organization, who are not pleased with the direction the game has taken. HANA believes that both tracks and horseman groups have become bogged down with industry infighting and have completely forgotten something: The importance of the customer. HANA hopes, through proactive change on several key issues (including but not limited to), open signal access, lower effective takeouts, wagering integrity, affordable data and customer appreciation, the industry’s handle losses can be reversed. HANA is currently made up of over 1500 horseplayers (both harness and thoroughbred) from almost all states and Canadian provinces. It currently represents over $70,000,000 of yearly racing handle.

Our web address is http://www.horseplayersassociation.org and interested horseplayers can sign up there for free. We are horseplayers, just like you and we are trying to make a difference. We need, appreciate, and ask humbly for your support.

Last edited by DeanT; 04-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

Thank you!

Thank you Tioga Downs and H.A.N.A.! I will begin in earnest studying the harness races with the intention of supporting the Tioga track!
I have mostly been advocating for reducing racehorse injuries and for ways to increase handle by more general public interest in racing. But I have very recently been comvinced that lowering the takeout wherever and whenever possible is a very necessary part of racing moving forward. The variation in takeout rates from track to track or state to state points this up.
Calling the part of any gaming wagering not returned to the bettors "takeout", racing has to do more than other forms of gaming to get the attention of new bettors. And with this economy as it stands today, every effort must be made to get new "fans" and keep current ones by lowering takeout, in the end increasing handle and helping everyong in racing financially.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2000
Thanks Johnny

Pretty much need to do at least 8 or 9 races a day (80% allows 2 passes) to stay eligible for the box of Goodies.
Your running ROIs will still be available.

Hey, make picks in 4 or 5 and let your granddaughter do the rest. or are you afraid she'll beat you.
Thx Ray...

And I am afraid....She,(my grandaughter), scored a $72.00 goodie the other day, so her ROI put her in front for the time being...It will be a grind, but I'll get that little 7yo filly...Just you wait and see...

best,
Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
melman

Sweeten the Pot

Ray for our little "side bar" contest I'll put up $100.00 cash money to the winner. For the "side bar" maybe we can lower the requirement to 6 races at least per card. This will get more people like LK I think. If you think that 8 races min are needed however I'm cool with that also. Now if someone has a Cheryl Ladd poster to make as a side bar prize I'll work doubly hard to win.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
botster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman
Ray for our little "side bar" contest I'll put up $100.00 cash money to the winner. For the "side bar" maybe we can lower the requirement to 6 races at least per card. This will get more people like LK I think. If you think that 8 races min are needed however I'm cool with that also. Now if someone has a Cheryl Ladd poster to make as a side bar prize I'll work doubly hard to win.
Planning my first trip to Tioga with my dad in early June, so all of this news is very good news indeed.
botster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman

mel

I'm fine with that, 6 race per day minimum picks.
The goal is to bring in as much interest and support as possible for

a Track that's listening to it's customers.

How about...
Winner of Win wagers ROI gets his choice, Harness Books or C-Note. (I'll list the books soon)
Winner of Exacta wagers ROI gets the other?

Contest hasn't started yet so rules can still be finalized.
Bret Harte
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
RaceTrackDaddy

Tioga 2010

Not that I needed it but I actually feel younger as in the days I first started learning about the races in the early 70's. I can feel the excitement building for the opening of Tioga Downs. Who would of thought of this happening in 2010 last year? Not I.

I look forward to a great meet for all involved. We are given a chance to change the industry and all we need do is to wager some of our money at Tioga. By doing so, I hope the rest of the industry will no longer take the fans for granted.

Let the games begin.
rtd (bobby z)
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
DeanT

Sheesh, Ray and the guys are getting some press.

Do you think they will remember us little people after this?

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/not...icro-chip.html

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=80145
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
The Tioga Team

A good start...

...is key in the game and Dean has us off to a great one. Lots of notice and interest. We appreciate your interest and efforts here at PA and are making some changes to our website to help nudge things along. Hopefully (fingers crossed) we'll have a page dedicated to "Handicapping" soon that will contain pertinent info and follow the contest. Give us a week or so and then check it out here... http://www.tiogadowns.com/index.htm

The first card was drawn today and we had a really good response, full fields for the most part and interesting races. http://www.tiogadowns.com/Supporting...urdayentry.htm

The existing site has a link to Trackmaster (thanks for your support in the contest, David) for programs. Saturday's will be available tomorrow and the Sunday program available on Friday.

Your comments and observations are welcome.

Nick

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low TO Poster - Web.jpg (58.8 KB, 213 views)
The Tioga Team is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
RaceTrackDaddy

Pompano North

If other stables from Ppk move up to Tioga like Bruce Ranger's, it will be an awesome meet. Will be interesting to see how many will be shipping later in the meet if this thing takes off. Stall space will be at a premium!
thanks again.
rtd (bobby z)
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
willphorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by botster
Planning my first trip to Tioga with my dad in early June, so all of this news is very good news indeed.
Great Idea Ray! I'm def in if this gets going!

Botster, you will def have to look me up when you're in town! I will buy you a drink or buy you dinner... or something

That goes for anybody that makes the trip to Tioga this summer!

First card looks good with 10 races 8-9 horses per race (With the exception of 1 race with 7). We starting the selections this weekend?

Last edited by willphorse; 04-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.
willphorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Yes, willphorse.... Picks will start this Saturday.

For the PA play along 'cappers, and the side-bar prizes, we'll set the minimum number of races that must be played to 400 (out of expected 600+ races this year). That means you can miss a few days and/or pass on 3 or 4 races per day and still be eligible to win these books or mel's wallet.

Racetrack Betting The Professors' Guide to Strategies.....Asch and Quandt.....1968.....Hardbound
Stanley's Law.....Al Stanley and Sam Dragich.....1980.....
Harness Racing Winning Secrets.....Jack Rubin.....1985.....
Beating the Races with a Computer.....Steven Brecher.....1980.....
The Bettor's Guide to Harness Racing.....Ronald Roblin PhD.....1979.....Hardbound
Beat Your Betting Rivals Vol 1 and 2.....Wally Rottkamp.....1970.....
The Complete Book of Harness Racing.....Phillip Pines.....1978.....
Horse Sense .....Burton Fabrican.....1965.....
Success at the Harness Races.....Barry Meadow.....1977.....Hardbound
Picking Winners A Horseplayer's Guide.....Andrew Beyer.....1975.....Hardbound
The Science of Winning.....Burton Fabrican.....1979.....Horses and Stock Market Analysis
The Bettor's Guide to Harness Racing.....Steve Chapman.....1977.....Hardbound
The Horseplayers Guide to Picking winners.....Bernard Gould.....1977.....
Winning at the Harness Races.....Nick Cammaano.....1976.....
Ainslies Complete Guide to Harness Racing.....Tom Ainslies.....1970.....Hardbound
The Tote Board is Alive and Well.....Milt Gaines.....1981.....
Scientific Handicapping.....Cohen and Stephens.....1963.....
Beating the Harness Races.....Aaron Berstein.....1978.....
The Racing Maxims of Pittsburg Phil.....George Smith.....1908?.....
Ainslies Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing.....Tom Ainslies.....1968.....Hardbound
Winning at the Races.....Dr. William Quirin.....1979.....Hardbound

The last place finisher will receive.
Professional BlackJack.....Stanford Wong.....1981.....Hardbound

Good Luck to ALL
Bret Harte

Last edited by Ray2000; 04-29-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: