Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:20 AM   #151
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
You are right...I have gotten used to this sort of treatment here. The only reason I don't complain publicly about is because I know that it would all be for naught.

We horseplayers lament the fact that there is no "unified" industry running this game...but we fail to notice that the players are even more fragmented than the racing industry is. There is no light at the end of this tunnel...unless the horseplayers THEMSELVES decide to unite in some way...so they could prove that they are a force to be reckoned with.

In unity there is strength.
And that is why Thaskalos, that I have decided that through one man's actions, I will start that unity. Even if it is for naught and no one else joins me, I will sleep at night, I will die in peace knowing that I stood up for my rights to be treated appropriately and be appreciated. If someone doesn't want me around, I will walk away with my head held high.

They will not treat me like an inconsequential lowlife horseplayer and then laugh as I continue to wager on them/through them. I'd rather die than give them my handle.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #152
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
And that is why Thaskalos, that I have decided that through one man's actions, I will start that unity. Even if it is for naught and no one else joins me, I will sleep at night, I will die in peace knowing that I stood up for my rights to be treated appropriately and be appreciated. If someone doesn't want me around, I will walk away with my head held high.

They will not treat me like an inconsequential lowlife horseplayer and then laugh as I continue to wager on them/through them. I'd rather die than give them my handle.
I am 100% behind you, my friend...and I only wish that ALL the horseplayers were like you. I have severed my relationship with Illinois Racing for over two years now...and I ain't NEVER going back. It's not enough that we love the game...the game has to love us back.

There is a time for talk...and then there comes a time for action. If we behave as if we are degenerate addicts...then we shouldn't be offended when they treat us as such...
Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #153
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Gee, no wonder racing needs new fans.
They drive away the old ones.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #154
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I went from studying a replays 20 hours plus a week (without betting, just taking notes on all races) to not watching a single replay, not making a single bet this week. I have no urge to. It's amazing how the mind turns off as the heart says: I'm not wanted.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #155
lamboguy

Quote:
I went from studying a replays 20 hours plus a week (without betting, just taking notes on all races) to not watching a single replay, not making a single bet this week. I have no urge to. It's amazing how the mind turns off as the heart says: I'm not wanted.
i have been watching your thread now for almost a week. i just wonder with all the people that view this board, has anyone from the track made any contact with you to try to smooth things out for you? if they haven't by now, you now know exactly where they stand and more important where you stand.

any successful business would make some type of effort to attempt to make you somewhat happy when you have a problem with their service or product.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #156
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i have been watching your thread now for almost a week. i just wonder with all the people that view this board, has anyone from the track made any contact with you to try to smooth things out for you? if they haven't by now, you now know exactly where they stand and more important where you stand.

any successful business would make some type of effort to attempt to make you somewhat happy when you have a problem with their service or product.
I agree with your thoughts. I won't patronize any business which treats me with disrespect. But, I'm a degenerate gambler so sometimes I slip.

Has anyone else noticed that this is the prevailing attitude from race track managements from California to Kentucky to New York. Why is that?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #157
Stillriledup
Veteran

There is no excuse for this Travers fellow to be treating customers with anything less than 100% respect. He's not being hired to have an attitude, he's being hired to do a job, and i have to imagine that part of his job description is not to alienate customers, he's not hired to his company betting handle and customers.

Even if the OP got shuttled off to Aqu, or missed his suntan time, he would probably still be betting if "Dean" Travers treated him like his business was wanted.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #158
MOG4023

And remember that for every customer that complains............x amount walk away without even complaining.

I put x because I couldn't remember the exact figure.
MOG4023 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #159
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOG4023
And remember that for every customer that complains............x amount walk away without even complaining.

I put x because I couldn't remember the exact figure.
This is a good point. The OP complained because he cares, and is emotionally and financially invested in the product and probably wants to go back at some point, so he needs this to be "made right".
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #160
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
There is no excuse for this Travers fellow to be treating customers with anything less than 100% respect. He's not being hired to have an attitude, he's being hired to do a job, and i have to imagine that part of his job description is not to alienate customers, he's not hired to his company betting handle and customers.

Even if the OP got shuttled off to Aqu, or missed his suntan time, he would probably still be betting if "Dean" Travers treated him like his business was wanted.
I wouldn't want his job. As a consultant in IT, I have to deal with all sorts of customers - 90% are okay or at least tolerable, with 2 or 3 percent making life miserable. But I've never been personally attacked by one on a public forum.

EMD4ME, I can sympathize with you to a degree, but I sure am glad not be in your shoes. Emerald Downs tonight is featuring a 7 race card with 5, 6 and one "giant" 7 horse field. If you can live with that, good for you. But I'd advise to kiss and make up with NYRA.

If Hawthorne and Arlington offerred up cards like NYRA, it would have made my decision to boycott Illinois racing much, much more difficult.....
Old 08-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #161
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

UPDATE:

Multiple calls have come forth to me from NYRA: credit must be given to Chris Kay, Stephen Travers and Tina (the players club manager). I was provided an offer of assistance with Money Gram (meaning can we help you get your money back if you didn't receive it yet). I was told that the Belmont room would be re-opened with air conditioning, the TV's would be turned on and they will try and place a handful of machines up in the room. I went up there yesterday and all was the case except for the betting machines. I was alone for those that wondered (except for the buddy that I brought with me), wagered on my tablet and was in a better place vs my other option.

I was also invited to Saratoga to discuss my qualms in person, with a complimentary owner's box and buffet.

I will update again later.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #162
SandyW

Quote:
UPDATE:

Multiple calls have come forth to me from NYRA: credit must be given to Chris Kay, Stephen Travers and Tina (the players club manager). I was provided an offer of assistance with Money Gram (meaning can we help you get your money back if you didn't receive it yet). I was told that the Belmont room would be re-opened with air conditioning, the TV's would be turned on and they will try and place a handful of machines up in the room. I went up there yesterday and all was the case except for the betting machines. I was alone for those that wondered (except for the buddy that I brought with me), wagered on my tablet and was in a better place vs my other option.

I was also invited to Saratoga to discuss my qualms in person, with a complimentary owner's box and buffet.

This proves that sometimes the squeaky wheel will get the grease.

We need a lot more squeaky wheels.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #163
lamboguy

Quote:
UPDATE:

i am glad they payed attention. that is a very good sign that they care about the place. i am very pleasantly surprised with the effort and ingenuity that Chris Kay has put into running NYRA. under his leadership i expect NYRA to meet the international standards of racing and improve his race tracks by leaps and bounds.

i hope you get a good suntan and have a great time at the track
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #164
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i am glad they payed attention. that is a very good sign that they care about the place. i am very pleasantly surprised with the effort and ingenuity that Chris Kay has put into running NYRA. under his leadership i expect NYRA to meet the international standards of racing and improve his race tracks by leaps and bounds.

i hope you get a good suntan and have a great time at the track
Although not out of the woods 100% yet, I hope we are getting there (betting machines, an attendant and some coffee would be nice to bring the room back to what it was).

I want to sincerely thank every one on PA who paid attention, responded (for or against me) to my rational or irrational qualms and I consider all of you fellow peers in our quests to enjoy this game as much as possible.

Thank you for the well wishes everyone and most recently LamboGuy.

Finally..... for now... I need to really give credit to Tina the Players Club manager for many many many reasons. If she wasn't in her position, I would've never spoke up and I would've just disappeared. It was my confidence in her passion that gave me the impetus to speak up. She cares and it shows. Someone like her can NEVER be taken for granted. Someone like her should be appreciated and promoted.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #165
thespaah

Quote:
UPDATE:

Good. I'm glad somebody was finally successful at "fighting city hall"..
These people( management)should know better in the first place.
Keep us posted!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply