Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #46
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
Oh my, oh my! Gee, I wonder what you could have meant that I misconstrued.

Then he runs to get his buddy Ralphy to chime in with his own little nugget of clarity. My father (retired), brother and niece are firefighters, so on your point you're full of it. But hey, I'm the idiot liberal.

I'll choose to believe in my values and you can continue to believe in yours. And here I thought I was safe staying in the Sports section. Carry on troops!
You really think he contacted me to post? Nope.....sorry.

I know what I know. I've lived it. Telling the truth is a bitch, but I'll keep it up
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #47
PressThePace

Back to topic gentleman.

Becky Hammon was hired as asst. coach for the Spurs. I'm on record saying that I doubt she's doing a ton of actual instruction.....BUT....if Popovich wants her to instruct, I'll bet my last dollar that the players will be coachable. The culture in that organization is so much bigger than any player. That's the real beauty of that team. They put their egos aside and do what they are told to do because that's the Spurs way.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #48
Dark Horse

I can just imagine a rugby team like the New Zealand All Blacks, with fierce Maori Warriors (who do a Haka dance before the game, symbolizing that they're going to eat their opponents - once they were cannibals...), getting back in the locker room only to have one of their women start bossing them around. Like they don't get that at home? Is the whole point of being with the boys lost to a metrosexual society?

Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-07-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #49
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
I can just imagine a rugby team like the New Zealand All Blacks, with fierce Maori Warriors (who do a Haka dance before the game, symbolizing that they're going to eat their opponents - once they were cannibals...), getting back in the locker room only to have one of their women start bossing them around. Like they don't get that at home? Is the whole point of being with the boys lost to a metrosexual society?
DH- your example is exactly what my point/question was about. The NBA is a man's world, a female traveling with the team would havwe to be awkward at best.

I guess this makes me a sexist.

Good thing I raised 3 sons and not 3 daughters as per Jay Trotter's prejudicial logic.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #50
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
DH- your example is exactly what my point/question was about. The NBA is a man's world, a female traveling with the team would havwe to be awkward at best.

I guess this makes me a sexist.

Good thing I raised 3 sons and not 3 daughters as per Jay Trotter's prejudicial logic.
She's been traveling with the team for months. I'm sure other female employees that are non-coaches travel with the team all the time. Their d-league team had a woman HEAD coach for a year. Your assertion that any of this would be awkward or problematic has been disproven already.

As far as it making you sexist, you are undoubtedly so, although this assertion taken alone in a narrow sense doesn't necessarily prove it. What you are basically saying though is that you think the team members themselves are too sexist and immature to be able to handle being around a woman. Lots of other workplaces were once thought of as a "man's world" also and used as an excuse to exclude women, but that doesn't make it right...
Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #51
Marshall Bennett

His opinion was that the situation would seem awkward. I don't find that sexist as much as a point of reality.
It is awkward !!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #52
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
His opinion was that the situation would seem awkward. I don't find that sexist as much as a point of reality.
It is awkward !!
For a dinosaur. In the real modern world, it is normal and commonplace. Men in all lines of work once thought that having a woman boss would be unthinkable -- unthinkable! But to most people born in the last 50 years (in this country), no big deal. (I'm 44 and never given such things a second thought.) And pretty much everybody born in the last 30 has had a woman boss, maybe even a majority of the time. But once upon a time, omg awkward!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #53
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Prejudicial logic, eh! Perhaps, the term "informed" logic would be more accurate. I also have a son just fyi. You obviously are "sexist".

These are "professionals". I'm sure they can deal with a wanton vixen among their midst.

I'm guessing you would be against taking golf lessons from a Lady Pro as well??? Why is it that many "big time" female teams can be coached by men without any issue? Rock/You/Under

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #54
cj's dad

Big time female teams ?? The WNBA ?? Does anyone really watch other than friends and relatives ??

How about the lingerie football league ?? Sexist ??

Refreshing to know so many here have personal insight to the feelings and opinions of Spurs players and Pop himself.

FYI- I worked in shipyards, refineries, chemical plants and the construction trades my entire life and the women who carried their own weight were very, very few and very, very far between. I didn't have some panty waist job like apparently some of you obviously do.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #55
davew

Curtis is right - there aren't any female jockeys, trainers, owners, breeders, or racing analysts with thoroughbreds that can hold their own against men.... well, maybe there are a quite a few but surely not MANY.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #56
jballscalls

Just curious but couldn't a woman who has played and been involved in basketball her whole life offer some quality instruction to the pros? I mean Pop never played in the pros as far as I remember, but he's obviously qualified.

Also, the above post cracked me up using the term panty waist LOL hadn't heard that for decades! Unless you worked a "manly" job, you're a panty waist.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #57
GameTheory

Quote:
Big time female teams ?? The WNBA ?? Does anyone really watch other than friends and relatives ??

How about the lingerie football league ?? Sexist ??

Refreshing to know so many here have personal insight to the feelings and opinions of Spurs players and Pop himself.

FYI- I worked in shipyards, refineries, chemical plants and the construction trades my entire life and the women who carried their own weight were very, very few and very, very far between. I didn't have some panty waist job like apparently some of you obviously do.
Nope, no sexism there. What was I thinking? Just like there is no racism in many of your other posts. None at all...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #58
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
Curtis is right - there aren't any female jockeys, trainers, owners, breeders, or racing analysts with thoroughbreds that can hold their own against men.... well, maybe there are a quite a few but surely not MANY.
Your snarky post brings zero. What % of jockeys are female ? Trainers ?

Keep in mind females are 51% of the population in the USA
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #59
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
Nope, no sexism there. What was I thinking? Just like there is no racism in many of your other posts. None at all...
I deal with reality not "isms" - I do not live in the libs world of campfire sing-a-longs and tooth fairies.

Amazing how this thread went south simply because I posted that this coach hiring may not turn out well.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #60
GameTheory

Quote:
I do not live in the libs world of campfire sing-a-longs and tooth fairies.
Neither do I, and this has nothing to do with that. And if you're not sexist, then there is no such thing as you are pretty much the definition. (Maybe you do think there is no such thing.)

Quote:
Amazing how this thread went south simply because I posted that this coach hiring may not turn out well.
If you don't want reactions, don't post in the first place.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: