Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Hank

And then you wonder WHY.

Well well well.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
woodtoo

Point Not Taken.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Clocker

Wonder why what? Wonder why that "bill of rights" isn't in the Constitution?

It's simple. Not even FDR proposed that it should be an amendment. It was just another political speech arguing for a bigger role for the federal government, more entitlement programs and more redistribution of wealth.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wonder what Hank is ever talking about?
Or why he bothers talking about it.
Or wonder who he is talking to?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Who does all the oil under the ground belong to? Should not it belong to all of earth's people? Why should private corporations be the only ones allowed to profit from its extractions and use....same with other minerals and natural resources...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
davew

a call for revolution

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Who does all the oil under the ground belong to? Should not it belong to all of earth's people?
The oil under the ground belongs to whoever owns the ground. What claims would anyone else have to it?

Quote:
Why should private corporations be the only ones allowed to profit from its extractions and use....same with other minerals and natural resources...
They are not the only ones that profit. They pay the owners, private or public, for the right to drill. And they take the risk of losing their investment. It's called free market capitalism.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
woodtoo

The Left have been totally off the rails since Hillarys' fail. There has been no acceptance at all, resist they much. Idjits.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The oil under the ground belongs to whoever owns the ground. What claims would anyone else have to it?

They are not the only ones that profit. They pay the owners, private or public, for the right to drill. And they take the risk of losing their investment. It's called free market capitalism.
So all the Old Growth Redwood trees "belong" to human owners that raze whole tracks of them for profit....? Don't the trees have a "right" to live in peace as well....? I would never insist that a 500 year old tree is somehow "mine" to do with as I please....
Old 04-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
Clocker

Quote:
So all the Old Growth Redwood trees "belong" to human owners that raze whole tracks of them for profit....?
How many of those trees are on private property?

Quote:
Don't the trees have a "right" to live in peace as well....? I would never insist that a 500 year old tree is somehow "mine" to do with as I please....
I would insist that a tree on my property is mine to do with as I please. What is the age of consent for a tree, the point at which it has rights? If you have a seedling and don't plant it, is that the moral equivalent of abortion?
Old 04-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

I would insist that a tree on my property is mine to do with as I please. What is the age of consent for a tree, the point at which it has rights? If you have a seedling and don't plant it, is that the moral equivalent of abortion?
You are not that far off about moral equivalence.

Quote:
We live in truly surreal times. In an age when all human beings still do not have access to human rights—and when some of the world’s foremost bioethicists declare that the unborn and cognitively disabled are not persons—radical environmentalists and others are agitating to grant “rights” to objects in nature.

In the latest phase of this descent into metaphysical madness, two rivers have been declared to be legal “persons” endowed with human-style rights. In New Zealand, the Whanganui River was granted the same legal rights as a human being. The reason? The Maori tribe considers the river sacred and an “ancestor.”

Religion was also why an Indian court declared the Ganges River, considered sacred in the Hindu faith, to be a “person.”
[emphasis added]

Quote:
[T]he rights of ecosystems and natural communities are enforceable independently of the rights of people who use them. That means that people within a community could step “into the shoes” of a mountain, stream, or forest ecosystem, and advocate for the rights of those natural communities. It calls for a system of jurisprudence in which those ecosystems are actually “seen” in court. Damages are assessed according to the costs of restoring the ecosystem to its pre-damaged state.
https://www.firstthings.com/web-excl...-to-be-persons
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
johnhannibalsmith

For the record, I killed the damn Cottonwood in self-defense after it assaulted me with dead branches while I was minding my own business beneath it in a chair with a Parliament Light.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
In the latest phase of this descent into metaphysical madness, two rivers have been declared to be legal “persons” endowed with human-style rights. In New Zealand, the Whanganui River was granted the same legal rights as a human being. The reason? The Maori tribe considers the river sacred and an “ancestor.”
But according to Heraclitus, it is not the same river any more, so their claim to ancestry is invalid.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:

Indeed, rights are a quagmire....they cannot be invoked for one and not for another... If done so...one is being speciesIST....
Old 04-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:
Indeed, rights are a quagmire....they cannot be invoked for one and not for another... If done so...one is being speciesIST....
It is only a quagmire if you opt to make it one. Only humans have rights under our laws. Everything else is property under law.

If you think that the Giant Redwoods have rights, then you must believe that ownership of them constitutes slavery. Perhaps you should solicit contributions and lobby for Redwood Emancipation. I'm sure there are a lot of tree huggers out there who would be very happy to participate.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: