Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 10-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Dave Schwartz

Win10 forced upgrade to v2004.

Windows forced an upgrade to Win10-2004. Thought I'd share about the process.

First, I emphasize that this was a FORCED upgrade. It said, "You can restart NOW or in 1 HOUR." There were no other alternatives.
IOW, you can go as pig or pork, but you are going.
(That means "dead or alive." Thank you, Matt Dillon & Gunsmoke.)

(Apparently, this upgrade will be forced upon most of you by mid-November.)
So, it started... During breakfast I was running in to check about every 5 minutes. (Yes, I admit I was a little terrified at the potential. Especially on a Friday, when getting help can leave you dead until Monday or later.)
After 24 minutes it was at 22%. Warning said this WILL take a while and your computer will restart several times. My mind went to doing the math which worked out to be 109 minutes.
Meanwhile, went to another computer and Googled "Win v2004 upgrade how long will it take?" Got answers ranging from 20 minutes to TWELVE HOURS!

It restarted and began crawling along at 1 minute = 1% until it got to around 28%. Then it restarted and jumped to 35%, then 46% just a few seconds later.

I began to have hope.
Then I started to read about how many things have been broken in v2004. (Could literally feel the "Hope" being choked out of my being.)
Then I saw that the article was from April, 2020 and thought, "Surely, they've improved it by now." (Forbes article)
Restart; 66%. Okay, so far so good.

I'm on a desktop, Win10-64, Pro. Dang, that's the version with the most documented problems.

BUT THEN --- It seems that the majority of problems are with Win10 LAPTOPS! We have some of those, but as of now MS is not forcing upgrades on those!
Restart: 89% then very quickly DONE!

TOTAL TIME: 38 MINUTES!

Not the end of the world. Thus far everything works just as it did yesterday. Nothing appears to be broken, although one of my key software tools broke on Wednesday when Google Chrome & Brave decided to not open shortcuts passed from The Brain software.

Went through the list of 17 new features. There were 3 or 4 that were quite nice.

Keeping an open mind.

PS: One of the new features is changing cursor and I-bar size to really HUGE. This is a nice feature but creates some problems on THIS PAGE.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What is the difference between COVID-19 and Microsoft?

People can survive COVID.

XP
Old 10-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Stevecsd2

It did mine in August. When I do those forced upgrades I set it with the timer to do it in the middle of the night. I have the home version, so it may have less/different issues than the PRO version.

So far, knock on wood, I've never had one fail yet.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
It did mine in August. When I do those forced upgrades I set it with the timer to do it in the middle of the night. I have the home version, so it may have less/different issues than the PRO version.

So far, knock on wood, I've never had one fail yet.
Yes, mine was scheduled for Monday at 3am.

Guess, MS decided I couldn't wait.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
OverlayHunter

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave. Your warning proved to be very helpful.

My laptop was updated last night but with your insights I altered my backup procedure to allow a full backup before the MS update procedure IGNORED the time I scheduled. I believe what they should be saying is that you can schedule a time for the update BUT the update will occur at the earlier of the scheduled time or reboot/restart of the machine.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply