Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 10:25 AM   #16
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post

In todays world you can do that AND get eligible for starter handicaps as well if that can be achieved. I assume that but I'm not positive.
I don't believe you are eligible for the starters if you only have waiver claim races at the starter amount. You have to have "started for $XXXXX or less" in the conditions I've seen (e.g. Parx 5th and 8th today - Oaklawn 7th on Sunday was an example with "a claiming price of" inserted after "for")
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2024, 01:38 PM   #17
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I don't believe you are eligible for the starters if you only have waiver claim races at the starter amount. You have to have "started for $XXXXX or less" in the conditions I've seen (e.g. Parx 5th and 8th today - Oaklawn 7th on Sunday was an example with "a claiming price of" inserted after "for")
Makes sense.
Everybody would drop the turf horses in November , run for a nickel and then starters all next season.
First place my mind went. Lol.

Thanks !
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2024, 05:14 PM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt62 View Post
My question--------- is it possible to get an entire racetrack to agree not to claim / reclaim a horse ?
It doesn't happen often.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:23 PM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

this is NOT going to happen

You are NOT going to walk into the racing office to claim some wildly suspicious class-dropper and be treated with thuggish behavior to deter your claim slip.

What happens in the real world, is there becomes a concentration of power and relationships in something like the NYRA(insert 'circuit name' here) claiming circuit.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:32 PM   #20
mountainman

Quote:
Correct, sir. Starter/alw eligibility can not be acquired when a horse is waivered. For other purposes, however, a win when waivered is considered a win at the highest price offered in the race heading.

FYI, some tracks afford connections the option of wavering a horse in two consecutive starts should the animal not win its initial start off the bench.

Hi , Tom. Not sure if you play mvr, but today’s card, in particular, is worth watching the replays to note horses victimized by inside trips. I saw several potential bet-backs that might offer value.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2024, 11:56 PM   #21
bobbyt62

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 23-50-10 Daily Racing Form Horse Racing Entries Results PPs (Past Perfo.jpg
bobbyt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2024, 12:05 PM   #22
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt62 View Post
A perfect example of the difference between speed figures and class figures. On my numbers, this horse was never able to get back to his first three efforts. The horse is honest but definitely has an issue and it was evident back in 2021 by going the entire season without even getting back to the 11 let alone the 8.

Attached Images
File Type: png theride.png (112.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by MJC922; 02-07-2024 at 12:08 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2024, 10:40 PM   #23
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
FYI, some tracks afford connections the option of wavering a horse in two consecutive starts should the animal not win its initial start off the bench.

Hi , Tom. Not sure if you play mvr, but today’s card, in particular, is worth watching the replays to note horses victimized by inside trips. I saw several potential bet-backs that might offer value.
That first part is a HISA rule apparently - see my earlier post in this thread. Currently not a concern for WVa, right?

Thanks for the info on MVR, Mark!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2024, 10:10 AM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
A perfect example of the difference between speed figures and class figures. On my numbers, this horse was never able to get back to his first three efforts. The horse is honest but definitely has an issue and it was evident back in 2021 by going the entire season without even getting back to the 11 let alone the 8.
It was like looking at the PPs for two different horses.

My thinking would be closer to your set.

Sometimes I feel like that when looking at two different sets of speed figures too. That's harder to explain, but understandable. It's hard to know what you are really dealing with when sources disagree widely as they often do. I don't have much of a solution to the problem, which is why I always vent about it.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:05 PM   #25
Ruffian1

Without ever seeing the horse, all signals are pointing to a bowed tendon and/or some suspensory problems. The fronts went on after those first three races and stayed on with the exception of one trainer.
You can only do so much with those types of injuries. Bottom line is they need to hold up and a trainer can only do what they can do. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They can change from ok to no good anytime.
Pretty scary claiming those types.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2024, 06:02 PM   #26
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Correct, sir. Starter/alw eligibility can not be acquired when a horse is waivered. For other purposes, however, a win when waivered is considered a win at the highest price offered in the race heading.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:09 PM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:

What kind of inside trip issues??
How was the track playing?

thx

Old 02-08-2024, 10:38 PM   #28
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Zawitz scored win another dropper today after costing you that longshot cash. But Appealing Senorita did throw up the white flag-in midstretch.

Was bummed that late money found Rosy Apple in 4th, but thrilled at $7.60 on Sweet Unique in 7th today.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-08-2024 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:01 PM   #29
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
What kind of inside trip issues??
How was the track playing?

thx

https://twitter.com/jason_kassa/stat...90169859375606
Hi Jason. Since Jan 22, a negative rail bias has been in play at Mvr, some days more potent than others. Players who have not and do not take this into account might find it hard to correctly interpret some results.

On a similar note-and this might throw some old-school handicappers off balance- the surface almost never favors early speed. Certain days may find the footing neutral...but almost never straight up speed favoring.

I've also found that, for whatever reason, the anti-rail trend seems to intensify in later races. That track changes.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-08-2024 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:14 PM   #30
mountainman

Quote:
That first part is a HISA rule apparently - see my earlier post in this thread. Currently not a concern for WVa, right?

Thanks for the info on MVR, Mark!
Tom...Hisa didn't invent every rule it has implemented, and even non-hisa tracks for the most part attempt to (half-ass) apply lots of hisa policies. Sometimes by virtue of a state-vet sympatico to hisa, and other times as a "rehearsal" of sorts for when the feds bull their way in.

Right now no definitive word on whether mnr will fall this year under hisa domain.

Congratulations,btw, to my good pal and former subordinate Lori Dinoto, who will soon be appointed Ohio's chief steward. We started out with me teaching Lori, and now she teaches me.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-08-2024 at 11:19 PM.