Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #5536
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Fake news, Mr. Gullible.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...k-seawall-cost

Sea Level Rise Is Creeping into Coastal Cities. Saving Them Won’t Be Cheap.

Seasonal high tides regularly flood the streets of Miami as sea level rises.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN1A601L

In Miami, battling sea level rise may mean surrendering land

MIAMI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - In low-lying Miami, flooding from rising sea level is as much a part of everyday life as mosquitoes and Cuban coffee.

Pretty much any longtime resident has an anecdote to share about floods they’ve encountered, during hurricane season, heavy summer storms or when strong “king” tides send growing volumes of water surging across parts of the city. Miami Beach, the U.S. city that stands to lose the most from sea level rise, is spending $500 million to raise more than 100 miles of roads, install dozens of pumps, build higher sea walls and revamp drainage systems in a fight to keep ultra-valuable real estate dry.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #5537
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Fake news, Mr. Gullible.
The statement came from Philip Levine, mayor of Miami Beach.

He's a Republican.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #5538
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...k-seawall-cost

Sea Level Rise Is Creeping into Coastal Cities. Saving Them Won’t Be Cheap.

Seasonal high tides regularly flood the streets of Miami as sea level rises.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN1A601L

In Miami, battling sea level rise may mean surrendering land

MIAMI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - In low-lying Miami, flooding from rising sea level is as much a part of everyday life as mosquitoes and Cuban coffee.

Pretty much any longtime resident has an anecdote to share about floods they’ve encountered, during hurricane season, heavy summer storms or when strong “king” tides send growing volumes of water surging across parts of the city. Miami Beach, the U.S. city that stands to lose the most from sea level rise, is spending $500 million to raise more than 100 miles of roads, install dozens of pumps, build higher sea walls and revamp drainage systems in a fight to keep ultra-valuable real estate dry.
Many moons ago when visiting Tampa during the summer months, it was not unusual to get those afternoon rains which are so common along both coasts of Florida. One afternoon, while driving around in my low, road-hugging five-speed roadster, the rain came down so hard in the downtown area, I could barely find high ground to get out the area. I was amazed at how fast the streets flooded. And this was back a good 30 years or so ago.

So...what's the big deal? After all, Florida isn't called Swampland for nothing.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #5539
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
The statement came from Philip Levine, mayor of Miami Beach.

He's a Republican.
Yeah...but is he a RINO?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #5540
hcap

Would you mind telling us what is fake? Miami regularly floods and Miami is attempting to deal with it.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #5541
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yeah...but is he a RINO?
You might want to check out how high above mean sea level your own property is. If it's not high enough those RINOs just may raise your taxes in order to raise your property?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #5542
boxcar

Quote:
Would you mind telling us what is fake? Miami regularly floods and Miami is attempting to deal with it.
Tampa regularly floods, as well. And has been in that state for over 30 years!

But the 64K question is this: Are these areas flooding because of rising oceans or because of receding beach lines due to natural erosion!? For your info, the latter is a perennial issue here in Swampland ever since I can remember -- again on both coasts.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #5543
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
You might want to check out how high above mean sea level your own property is. If it's not high enough those RINOs just may raise your taxes in order to raise your property?
I know exactly how much above sea level my property is. FEMA has rated my property as "moderate risk", which is not so bad for Swampland.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #5544
hcap

Quote:
But the 64K question is this: Are these areas flooding because of rising oceans or because of receding beach lines due to natural erosion!? For your info, the latter is a perennial issue here in Swampland ever since I can remember -- again on both coasts.
Both operate simultaneously in Miami. Chicken /egg problem. Sea level rise adds to the erosion, erosion allows sea water to flood further inland. BOTH. So there is nothing fake in the statement that sea waters are rising AND FLOODING mIAMI ON A REGULAR BASIS. And Miami is only one city jeopardized. There are plenty of others.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2016/0...cities-report/

“Changing Tides: How Sea-Level Rise Harms Wildlife and Recreation Economies Along the U.S. Eastern Seaboard” report.

In Florida, $69 billion worth of property is at risk of flooding in less than 15 years, and beachfront property in Miami-Dade alone is valued at more than $14.7 billion....Coastal flooding and beach erosion are among the biggest offenders for Florida, according to the report: Since the early ’90s, the state has spent $393 million on replacing sand. To maintain those beaches over the next 50 years, Miami-Dade County will need roughly 20 million cubic yards of sand, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #5545
boxcar

Quote:
Both operate simultaneously in Miami. Chicken /egg problem. Sea level rise adds to the erosion, erosion allows sea water to flood further inland. BOTH. So there is nothing fake in the statement that sea waters are rising AND FLOODING mIAMI ON A REGULAR BASIS. And Miami is only one city jeopardized. There are plenty of others.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2016/0...cities-report/

“Changing Tides: How Sea-Level Rise Harms Wildlife and Recreation Economies Along the U.S. Eastern Seaboard” report.

In Florida, $69 billion worth of property is at risk of flooding in less than 15 years, and beachfront property in Miami-Dade alone is valued at more than $14.7 billion....Coastal flooding and beach erosion are among the biggest offenders for Florida, according to the report: Since the early ’90s, the state has spent $393 million on replacing sand. To maintain those beaches over the next 50 years, Miami-Dade County will need roughly 20 million cubic yards of sand, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.
Then both are old news. Nothing new to see here. Beach lines up and down both coasts have been eroding ever since I can remember. I recall Hollywood Beach a few decades ago spent big bucks in "widening" the beach. Lower waterfronts gives the appearance of rising oceans. But water-caused erosion is as as natural as breathing, and does not necessarily speak to a rising ocean.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #5546
hcap

Why are you avoiding AGW as an agent of Miami flooding?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #5547
boxcar

Quote:
Why are you avoiding AGW as an agent of Miami flooding?
I explained why in my last post. Beach erosion is a natural phenom. Has been with Floridians for a long time.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #5548
hcap

I dealt with the subject of erosion, whereas you ignored sea level rise.
You obviously ignored my post stating BOTH function simultaneously.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #5549
boxcar

Quote:
I dealt with the subject of erosion, whereas you ignored sea level rise.
You obviously ignored my post stating BOTH function simultaneously.
There was nothing in the story you linked us to that provided any evidence of a rising ocean per se. Tides naturally "rise" (encroach farther inland) as land is eroded. Rising tides was mentioned in the story. That's it.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #5550
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Biologists seem to be in agreement that a system is considered living when it possesses all seven critical properties for an organism to come into existence and sustain its existence.
Of course such a system would be considered living. The question is whether lack of one of more of the seven automatically means it is non-living. I say it does not. Only the seventh, reproduction, is required to be considered living.

Quote:
And non-living molecules do not reproduce.
Again you repeat yourself. Of course non-living molecules do not reproduce since reproduction defines what is living.

Quote:
Molecular biology. therefore, presupposes the existence of cell systems.
I disagree. It does not. Perhaps some biologists who consider themselves molecular biologists presuppose that, but they are wrong.

Quote:
You're jumping the gun, Sparky. I didn't mention natural selection.
But I did. And you should have.

Quote:
Natural selection is the sum of various processes, the first being random mutations.
Wrong.

Quote:
There would not be any natural selection if it weren't for random mutations, differential reproduction and heredity.
Wrong again. You really should read Darwin. Then you just might know what you're talking about.

Quote:
A cell is the the smallest unit of life ...
I disagree. The smallest unit of life is a single molecule. Of course not all molecules are alive. Most are not. But it only takes one to get the ball rolling.

Quote:
... because only within a cell system can all seven properties be found that is necessary to create and SUSTAIN life. AND it is "THE BASIC unit...of all known living organisms".
Wrong. A virus is a known living organism. It is not a cell.

And even if (for the sake of argument) it were true the operative words are "all known". There is a long list of things that scientists once considered unknown.
  • Atoms.
  • Electrons.
  • Quarks.
  • Planets orbiting other stars.
  • Black holes.
  • Gorillas.
  • Etc. Etc. Etc.

Quote:
Wilson has it right. He's not a liar.
No, he does not. And he is.