Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #16
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
The good thing about the American presidency is that has immense power for 4/8 years than they are gone.

By that time a dem will take power and restore what ever knuckle dragging cuts that Trump has instituted.

PP funding will be restored as soon as a dem gets the power to do so.

Allan
I wouldn't count on it......Nikki Haley is warming up in the bullpen..... oops meant to say cowpen.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I wouldn't count on it......Nikki Haley is warming up in the bullpen..... oops meant to say cowpen.
One of the reasons Hillary lost is that she was seen as Obama's third term. Majority disapproval of Trump will similarly hurt the next GOP candidate.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #18
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
One of the reasons Hillary lost is that she was seen as Obama's third term. Majority disapproval of Trump will similarly hurt the next GOP candidate.
Not quite. Hillary ran by saying she would be an extension of Obama's policies, and essentially be a 3rd term for Obama. That's different than what you stated.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Not quite. Hillary ran by saying she would be an extension of Obama's policies, and essentially be a 3rd term for Obama. That's different than what you stated.
What I stated was my take on voter perception, whether Hillary said it or not. But in reality, would a GOP candidate have any choice but to support Trump's policies and promise to continue down the same road?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #20
tucker6

Quote:
What I stated was my take on voter perception, whether Hillary said it or not. But in reality, would a GOP candidate have any choice but to support Trump's policies and promise to continue down the same road?
Why would anyone vote for a candidate that has no individual plan for our future?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
MargieRose

Quote:
I guess it all depends on why the supposed majority disapprove of Trump. Is it his personality/mannerisms, or is it his policies?

Yes, Hillary was seen as the prolongation of Obama's policies...really little to do with her or his personality. Obama was well liked, was he not?

The next GOP candidate will have no trouble falling back on Trump's policies, if he continues to succeed, as he has done so far. His personality and mannerisms will be of little concern, when the time comes, as well.

Three strong, intelligent and likeable women that I'd like to see run for the GOP presidency at some point: Nikki Halley, Condoleezza Rice, Kirstjen Nielsen. Am keeping an eye on Heather Nauert, too...some great potential, if she is so inclined, methinks.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #22
Clocker

Quote:
Why would anyone vote for a candidate that has no individual plan for our future?
A candidate from the incumbent's party is not free to have a truly individual platform, especially if a member of the incumbent's administration. It has to evolve from the incumbent's policies, which the candidate supported in the past.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #23
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
They got rid of line item vetoes a few presidents back. All or nothing with what the top 4 in Congress (and their lobbyists) present.
It was found to be unconstitutional during Clinton's term, as it violated the presentments clause (i.e., the president can only sign what he's presented).
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #24
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
I guess it all depends on why the supposed majority disapprove of Trump. Is it his personality/mannerisms, or is it his policies?

Yes, Hillary was seen as the prolongation of Obama's policies...really little to do with her or his personality. Obama was well liked, was he not?

The next GOP candidate will have no trouble falling back on Trump's policies, if he continues to succeed, as he has done so far. His personality and mannerisms will be of little concern, when the time comes, as well.

Three strong, intelligent and likeable women that I'd like to see run for the GOP presidency at some point: Nikki Halley, Condoleezza Rice, Kirstjen Nielsen. Am keeping an eye on Heather Nauert, too...some great potential, if she is so inclined, methinks.
How is Nielsen qualified to be president? If you looked at her resume and she were a male, no one would ever give her a second look. You did say "at some point," so maybe you meant after she has more experience. Rice is too hawkish for me, but I understand how you would consider her presidential material.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
tucker6

Quote:

I live in SC, and Nikki had some ethical lapses in judgement as governor. If she can brush up on that, she has a chance, but those lapses will dog her for some time on the national stage.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2014/07/18/...ems-hypocrisy/
Old 04-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
How is Nielsen qualified to be president? If you looked at her resume and she were a male, no one would ever give her a second look. You did say "at some point," so maybe you meant after she has more experience. Rice is too hawkish for me, but I understand how you would consider her presidential material.
For now, I'm going by my impressions of the women and how they handle themselves within their current positions. Except for Condoleezza Rice (exceptional, IMO), time will reveal more.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #27
MargieRose

Quote:
I live in SC, and Nikki had some ethical lapses in judgement as governor. If she can brush up on that, she has a chance, but those lapses will dog her for some time on the national stage.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2014/07/18/...ems-hypocrisy/
"Ethical lapses in judgement" is, more or less, an evaluation stemming from subjective beliefs which exist in the eye of the beholder. Times change, people change, and people grow. I'm watching how Nikki handles herself now...four years later.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #28
tucker6

Quote:
"Ethical lapses in judgement" is, more or less, an evaluation stemming from subjective beliefs which exist in the eye of the beholder. Times change, people change, and people grow. I'm watching how Nikki handles herself now...four years later.
Even among Republicans here, her ethics were grating. You really think someone of her age doesn’t understand what is ethical and what is not? Does four more years improve that? I don’t know. Reminds me of Pruitt. He should know better but apparently hubris gets the best of him. And this comes from a supporter of Pruitt and Haley. I’d take them over a democrat, but they have bad judgement at times.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
The good thing about the American presidency is that has immense power for 4/8 years than they are gone.

By that time a dem will take power and restore what ever knuckle dragging cuts that Trump has instituted.

PP funding will be restored as soon as a dem gets the power to do so.

Allan

And then they will cut the next time........
Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #30
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
And then they will cut the next time........
Its a constant fight between good and evil.

Nobody said it would be easy.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply