Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Good Magic

Is it just me or does anyone else feel he's most likely to end up like McKraken or Carpe Diem... etc
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else feel he's most likely to end up like McKraken or Carpe Diem... etc
I think Classic Empire would be a better potential conparison.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
PowerUpPaynter

i am probably putting him in the winners circle saying this but I think there is a 0.0% chance he can win this race.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
f2tornado

Quote:
i am probably putting him in the winners circle saying this but I think there is a 0.0% chance he can win this race.
He's a Raise A Native, Buckpasser-x, and has no trouble running wide so his chances are above zero. If this horse was trained by anyone but Chad Brown I would not be as supportive given his Brisnet LP figure and raw 3/8th time in the Bluegrass were just shy of best best contender values. Chad Brown simply knows how to crank a horse for a big run. I think he will be well positioned at the 3/4 pole to make his move. If he can put himself several lengths ahead of the likes of Audible at the mile pole then he may have just enough in the tank to pull it off.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
señorclipclop

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
He's a Raise A Native, Buckpasser-x, and has no trouble running wide so his chances are above zero. If this horse was trained by anyone but Chad Brown I would not be as supportive given his Brisnet LP figure and raw 3/8th time in the Bluegrass were just shy of best best contender values. Chad Brown simply knows how to crank a horse for a big run. I think he will be well positioned at the 3/4 pole to make his move. If he can put himself several lengths ahead of the likes of Audible at the mile pole then he may have just enough in the tank to pull it off.
Agreed. He's my #1.
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
thats true but hes gonna have to take a big step forward from that 95 beyer... Prob gonna take a 104 or 105 to win this race... very strong crop
Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
f2tornado

Quote:
thats true but hes gonna have to take a big step forward from that 95 beyer... Prob gonna take a 104 or 105 to win this race... very strong crop
No disagreement there... although I largely gave up looking at BSFs for the Derby long ago. The best last out BSF rarely wins the race. Chrome and Big Brown are the only ones that come to mind. That would be two out the last 15 renewals. You would have received $13 back on your $30 worth of $2 win bets. Enjoy that -56% ROI. Your best last out Brisnet figure is better at 5-29 but that still nets you -15%. I expect GM to run back to his Breeders Cup figure. I'm just not convinced it's enough. I like Vino Rosso a little more at the moment but I have both horses covered sufficiently in the future wager pools.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
No disagreement there... although I largely gave up looking at BSFs for the Derby long ago. The best last out BSF rarely wins the race. Chrome and Big Brown are the only ones that come to mind. That would be two out the last 15 renewals. You would have received $13 back on your $30 worth of $2 win bets. Enjoy that -56% ROI. Your best last out Brisnet figure is better at 5-29 but that still nets you -15%. I expect GM to run back to his Breeders Cup figure. I'm just not convinced it's enough. I like Vino Rosso a little more at the moment but I have both horses covered sufficiently in the future wager pools.
true but over the past 10 years only mine that bird improved by 10 points from his final prep to derby winning fig. i think its asking a lot. not so much concerned about who ran the best last out fig but how much room for improvement is there.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 04-16-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
I just handicapped the race using Timeform PP's and I think he will be my main play or close to it. I feel like there is still a forward move in there and his Bluegrass is better than it appears. He middle moved while wide onto a very legit pace. A lessor horse would have cracked. Brown can get them ready for the big days and he may get overlooked at 12/1 or so. I will build most my tickets around him and Bolt.

Plush I cashed good on him in the BC so I got that sentimental thing as well.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
CincyHorseplayer

I thought his BCJ Beyer was inflated. I didn't think much of that performance even though I respect him for beating some I liked better(on my route rating he got a 199. Bolt Doro got a 218 in the Frontrunner by comparison). And the 2 performances this year I thought were mediocre. Flameaway I had respect for but he's been getting slower in each prep and GM struggled to get by him after he dueled the whole way. If this were on turf I'd have more fear of Chad Brown but not here. This guy is 2nd tier in my book.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I just handicapped the race using Timeform PP's and I think he will be my main play or close to it. I feel like there is still a forward move in there and his Bluegrass is better than it appears. He middle moved while wide onto a very legit pace. A lessor horse would have cracked. Brown can get them ready for the big days and he may get overlooked at 12/1 or so. I will build most my tickets around him and Bolt.

Plush I cashed good on him in the BC so I got that sentimental thing as well.
i doubt he'll be 12-1.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #12
f2tornado

Quote:
true but over the past 10 years only mine that bird improved by 10 points from his final prep to derby winning fig. i think its asking a lot. not so much concerned about who ran the best last out fig but how much room for improvement is there.
I'll Have Another had an even lesser figure than GM. He went from a 5th best last out 94 BSF to roses. Barbaro was 13 points behind Sinister Minister. Giacomo was 25 points behind Bellamy Road. Beyer absolutely blows chunks when it comes to rating 9F preps. I wouldn't be shocked if just using the fastest raw time has a higher Derby impact value than highest BSF.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #13
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
i doubt he'll be 12-1.
There are a lot of good horse this year. If he is lower than horses like Justify and Mendelssohn are higher than we are suspecting.

Justify 3/1
Magnum Moon 5/1
Mendelssohn 6/1
Audible 8/1
Bolt DOro 8/1
Good Magic 12/1
Vino Rosso 12/1

I just clicked off a lot of points in that tote board, and there are still 13 others
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
i doubt he'll be 12-1.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Justify is gonna take a lot of money, as will Audible, Mendelssohn, Magnum, and Bolt. At best, he'll be 5th favorite and upwards to 7th choice come post time.

Gotta a feeling Justify goes off at 5/2. It is Baffert. It is Mike Smith. He won the Santa Anita Derby handily by a widening margin and has yet to really be tested as an undefeated horse. His figures are getting better as the distances increase, and while you can point to a number of questions with 'curses' and distance, there isn't a single horse in the field that has answered the 10 furlong bell till it rings the first Saturday in May.

I think Audible will end up as 2nd favorite. His Holy Bull and Florida Derby were awfully impressive.

Justify, Audible, Magnum Moon, and Mendelssohn will all take more money than Good Magic. And likely Bolt will as well. That leaves Vino Rosso, Noble Indy, Solomini, and My Boy Jack as possible contenders for 6th, 7th, 8th favorites.

Thus, I can certainly see 12/1 on GM. Sounds crazy, until you really break it down.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 04-16-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
There are a lot of good horse this year. If he is lower than horses like Justify and Mendelssohn are higher than we are suspecting.

Justify 3/1
Magnum Moon 5/1
Mendelssohn 6/1
Audible 8/1
Bolt DOro 8/1
Good Magic 12/1
Vino Rosso 12/1

I just clicked off a lot of points in that tote board, and there are still 13 others
i was thinking high single digits. Chad Brown is worth a few points even if it isn't turf. Justify and Mendelsohn will be too low for me. At 12 GM is a bet. I hope your right. After Justify I like him best.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: