Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Stephon Clark

No thread on this yet or am I missing it?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/sa...ing/index.html

I'm not one for much off topics, but man, this stuff has got to stop.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

From the description in the article I would venture a guess if the guy had simply obeyed the police like most normal people do, he'd be alive today.

At night, in the dark, you don't run from the police when they want to talk to you...and you certainly don't run from the police, in the dark, while holding something in your hand that could be interpreted as a ****ING GUN.

I know, I know...if he was white, the cops wouldn't have shot him...their racist tendencies assumed the worst...if the dead guy was white, they would have assumed it was a phone and not a gun...or the racist cops are lying about seeing a phone...blah blah blah more bullshit blah blah blah.

The media will show this 1000x and we will have more riots and more people will get hurt and die...businesses will be burned to the ground.

Not because of racism. Because of some dope who ran from the police, at night, while holding a ****ing cell phone.

No personal responsibility will be talked about on the part of this dead MAN (note, not a kid, a man). GROWN MEN should be a lot ****ing smarter than this. But they're not, apparently. Darwinism in action I suppose.

But the narrative will all be about racism. **** this shit I say.

But you're right. The stupidity has to stop.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The only question I have is, did he extend his hands as they say. That’s commonly known as a shooting stance or posture.

If so, I might think suicide by cop. He may have received the exact reaction he wanted.

I haven’t seen the vid
Old 03-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
classhandicapper

One thing wasn't 100% clear. Was he the guy that was breaking into cars or were they also mistaken about the identify?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Pretty sure you don't see the victim during the actual shooting...cops are taking cover by a corner and it blocks the view...but I've only seen it once.

The aerial view from the chopper provides a little more of a view, but it's tough to see if he extends his hands...it looks like he might, but I only saw it once.

I wrote my first reply before watching the video...only reading the story.

After watching the video, it seems there are a good number of seconds from when the first cop yells "GUN" until he or some other cop yells it again "GUN GUN GUN" and then they open fire.

The cops may have been too quick to open fire. They had cover around that corner. And all those seconds that pass between the first yell of GUN until they actually open fire would have led me to believe there was a chance to assess the situation a little more, especially since they had some cover.

I don't know what the ****ing answer is...you have idiots who run from the cops, and to make it worse, hold something in their hands that can be seen as a gun in the heat of the moment.

Then you have cops who are just a little too quick to pull the trigger...but then again, in a situation like that, if they believe they see a gun, it turns into a "do I choose to risk never going home to my family again and give this guy the benefit of the doubt, or do I take down the perceived threat and live to see another day" all in the dark, amid chaos, and a suspect who is running and therefore desperate...

It's a terrible situation all around. I can't understand how anyone would want to be a police officer these days.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
From the description in the article I would venture a guess if the guy had simply obeyed the police like most normal people do, he'd be alive today.

At night, in the dark, you don't run from the police when they want to talk to you...and you certainly don't run from the police, in the dark, while holding something in your hand that could be interpreted as a ****ING GUN.

I know, I know...if he was white, the cops wouldn't have shot him...their racist tendencies assumed the worst...if the dead guy was white, they would have assumed it was a phone and not a gun...or the racist cops are lying about seeing a phone...blah blah blah more bullshit blah blah blah.

The media will show this 1000x and we will have more riots and more people will get hurt and die...businesses will be burned to the ground.

Not because of racism. Because of some dope who ran from the police, at night, while holding a ****ing cell phone.

No personal responsibility will be talked about on the part of this dead MAN (note, not a kid, a man). GROWN MEN should be a lot ****ing smarter than this. But they're not, apparently. Darwinism in action I suppose.

But the narrative will all be about racism. **** this shit I say.

But you're right. The stupidity has to stop.
The guy certainly carries some blame, but shot at 20 times blame? He was being chased for breaking windows, not anything violent. I just don't see the jump to it being a gun so hastily. I think you really need to be positive before you fire your weapon. As you mentioned later on, it sure looks like they had cover.

Would he have been shot if he were white? We'll never know. I grew up in a mixed race, lower class neighborhood and I know I got breaks not afforded to others because I was white.

Last edited by cj; 03-23-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
One thing wasn't 100% clear. Was he the guy that was breaking into cars or were they also mistaken about the identify?
From the video I'd guess he was, but it is a little foggy at this point.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
MONEY

Many of the people that cops come into contact with are idiots or criminals.
You can't shoot someone because the person is stupid.

In this case the cop yelled "show me your hands, drop the gun" I can't tell by the video but the decedent might have been doing as ordered, "with a cell phone in his hands". He couldn't drop the gun, because he didn't have one.

The proper order would have been "Police Don't Move!", and to keep repeating the order.

I saw the video last night & the cops muted their recorders after the shooting.
That action is likely to get them fired and indicted.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
In this case the cop yelled "show me your hands, drop the gun" I can't tell by the video but the decedent might have been doing as ordered, "with a cell phone in his hands". He couldn't drop the gun, because he didn't have one.
Come on...if you or I were in that situation, and the cops are chasing me and tell me to show them my hands and drop the gun, I sure as hell am not going to keep holding the cell phone because he mistakenly yelled "DROP THE GUN" and not "DROP THE CELL PHONE."
Old 03-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Come on...if you or I were in that situation, and the cops are chasing me and tell me to show them my hands and drop the gun, I sure as hell am not going to keep holding the cell phone because he mistakenly yelled "DROP THE GUN" and not "DROP THE CELL PHONE."
It's a different time now, more people are willing to die just to make a point. But I have been in that situation and lucky for me, I didn't have to shoot.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
What are you talking about? The cop yelled, "Show me your hands!" Then he simply said, "Gun!", and they opened fire.

There was no order to drop anything.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #12
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
What are you talking about? The cop yelled, "Show me your hands!" Then he simply said, "Gun!", and they opened fire.

Just listened to it again, and you're right.
Still "show me your hands" was the wrong order.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

This isn't true either.

The first one said "GUN"

Then a whole bunch of time passed until another one (or the same one) said "GUN GUN GUN"

Then they opened fire.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Just listened to it again, and you're right.
Still "show me your hands" was the wrong order.
Especially since "show me your hands" apparently meant = if there's anything in your hands, we're gonna shoot you 20 times.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Especially since "show me your hands" apparently meant = if there's anything in your hands, we're gonna shoot you 20 times.
I know...cops who see what they think is someone holding a gun and pointing it at them are supposed to just stand there and take the bullets.

What were they thinking?

Oh, and only shoot them one time. Give them a chance to get a few rounds off...

No...a cop sees a gun or thinks they see a gun, you're going down. That's reality.

That's why you don't run from the cops in the middle of the night holding something that might look like a gun.

Life sucks. That's why there is something called street smarts, which this idiot apparently had zero (though he probably thought he had plenty).