Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #46
precocity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
it should be noted that if the TRC (and tracks in TX) thought this law would bring bettors to the tracks in droves to bet in the simo (OUT OF THEIR HOMES), they'll be sorely disappointed. As i type this I'm in Lone Star's simo pavillion. It's no more populated than a normal friday nite. Less so, to be honest

And the QH meet that's going on has about 20 people on the apron

Awesome decision, TRC
everybody is at winstar
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #47
schweitz

Just received an e-mail from BetAmerica that they are also suspending Texas accounts.
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #48
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
it should be noted that if the TRC (and tracks in TX) thought this law would bring bettors to the tracks in droves to bet in the simo (OUT OF THEIR HOMES), they'll be sorely disappointed. As i type this I'm in Lone Star's simo pavillion. It's no more populated than a normal friday nite. Less so, to be honest

And the QH meet that's going on has about 20 people on the apron

[YT="Dumber Than Simms"]J6_1Pw1xm9U[/YT]

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #49
levinmpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Good writeup.

The argument that the sports leagues are making against NJ is laughable and its amazing to me how anyone "voted" in favor of the sports leagues. We all know a certain sports league that's completely built on gambling, from top to bottom yet they sit there on their soap box and believe that their league would be just as successful if people werent betting the games or engaging in fantasy sports. Its comical.
The Australian Football League(Austrailian Rules Football) played their Grand Final in Melbourne today. I watched some highlights on the afl.com.au website. Ausie Rules Football is a great game, but aside from that, you see advertisements from gambling entities right on the field and on the afl.com.au website as well. It's part of the culture there, and in other right thinking countries. The NFL plays a regular season game in London tomorrow with bookmaker shops across the street from the venue. It's okay for the Brits to wager on the NFL games, but not Americans? What a joke the NFL is when it comes to gambling. If people couldn't gamble illegally on the games, they'd have no ratings whatsoever. I just don't understand their stance on the gambling issue. I hope that someday the individual American states will realize that people will always gamble anyway, so lets regulate and tax it properly.

I got an email from a friend of mine on Wednesday stating that he can no longer wager through Twinspires in Texas. He was really upset and vowed to find a way to place his wagers. He has now opened an offshore account with a bookmaker in Costa Rica. I'm sure he's not alone. Nice job Texas. Send those dollars offshore and don't get a penny of it.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #50
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly
I can do this.

Instead of listening to Andy Serling and Jason Blewitt all day, Chet Baker and Coltrane are on the noise box;.

A switch any sane person would gladly make.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #51
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Also I believe ADW's track the IP Addresses of their users to make sure they are not betting from an illegal location.
That second point is speculation on my part.
They might do that.. or (in case of tvg) they automatically resolve your url to a state based website.
I am in PA and i type www.tvg.com it would ALWAYS resolve to pa.tvg.com and in some browsers it would not load. And when I was visiting Texas for a week a while ago, I tried logging in and I had massive issues trying to access the correct tvg site for me to login.
Xpressbet and Twinspires have large software teams so check this diligently. Others either ask you input your state during log in or just block certain states or certain tracks (for that state).
Highly disjointed system it is.. and that goes for every aspect of the game/sport.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #52
nearco

Gambling in USA is such a joke.
Friggin Puritans still going strong 350 years later.

Just let people bet, on anything, for chrissakes. What's the big deal?
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #53
Cholly

Day Eight of the Hostage Crisis

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...ing-landscape/
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #54
thespaah

Just wait for the screaming from the horsemen starts when Texas tracks start threatening to shut their doors.
Racetracks cannot survive when less than 1,000 people per day attend and bet less than $100 per capita.
I must ask the horsemen...Geniuses, from where does the purse money come? The sky?
Ok...I am not laying all of the blame on the horsemen. Obviously the politicians in Texas have other agendas, of which none of those are pro racing/betting.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #55
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Ok...I am not laying all of the blame on the horsemen. Obviously the politicians in Texas have other agendas, of which none of those are pro racing/betting.
I heard the judges written decision was released. Does anyone know where to find it? Supposedly he take shots at all gambling and horse betting making the likes of us horseplayers as second rate, scum, citizens. Sure sounds like this guy makes a great, impartial judge..... . Sometimes i come across as paranoid and harsh when judging the "system" and our leaders but if i what i heard is true.....no i'm not...i'm spot on. We live in a society where certain people decide whats best for you......the idea of freedom is a thing of the past.......some 80 year old jack ass is going to decide what you can or can not wager on and if he really could have his way....you would be going to jail. I hope my friend was just BSing me but he said it was true. Where can i find it?
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #56
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
I heard the judges written decision was released. Does anyone know where to find it? Supposedly he take shots at all gambling and horse betting making the likes of us horseplayers as second rate, scum, citizens. Sure sounds like this guy makes a great, impartial judge..... . Sometimes i come across as paranoid and harsh when judging the "system" and our leaders but if i what i heard is true.....no i'm not...i'm spot on. We live in a society where certain people decide whats best for you......the idea of freedom is a thing of the past.......some 80 year old jack ass is going to decide what you can or can not wager on and if he really could have his way....you would be going to jail. I hope my friend was just BSing me but he said it was true. Where can i find it?
Unfortunately judges which are supposed to be 'referees' allow personal agendas to enter into their rulings.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #57
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
Been playing racing for 30 years and this might be the end for me. I live in Austin (no tracks around). Wow....

Having said that, I may have a work around. PM me if you're in Texas and interested.
I just read your post regarding a workaround. Would you be so kind as to PM me this workaround?
I'd be most appreciative.
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #58
NTamm1215

Quote:
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/hor...t-decision.pdf
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #59
Irish Boy
Smartass

Quote:
It was a sloppy opinion but it does nothing close to what you claim.
Irish Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #60
thespaah

The opinion fails on this one point.
The judge opines that since bettors may go to brick and mortar places to make wagers, CDI is not being injured.
The failure is that while the judge recognizes that wagering done on the internet and betting done at brick and mortar are different in scope and regulatory challenges, he treats them as the same in his ruling.
IMO this ruling is a moral opinion rather than a legal opinion.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: