Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-09-2024, 12:44 AM   #76
Inner Dirt

Now that Harbaugh won a national championship does he return to the NFL?
Our local Washington team needs a new head coach and I here they could be moving to Virginia. He did a great job turning around the 49ers. I didn't see the game, sounds like Penix had his draft stock drop a ton just like Bo Nix's last game. I kept checking the gamecast while doing paperwork, looks like Michigan ran over them running the ball.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2024, 04:10 PM   #77
lamboguy

after looking through the Men's College Basketball this year, I see an up-and-coming team in Texas A+M. Not that i am a fan of making future bets, but this one looks bettable to win the Southwest Conference.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM   #78
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

And maybe even the Southeast Conference.

rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2024, 07:16 PM   #79
PalaceOfFortLarned

Could make a number of excuses for Washington and the missed opportunities, but Michigan was simply the better team and took advantage of their obvious strengths in this matchup.

When Michigan was allowed to simply rush 4 and put a lot of pressure on Penix, it was pretty much over coupled with the completely hobbled Dillon Johnson at RB. That got a bit tough to watch him 'hero' it through the game. Johnson took a lot of really hard shots (many times multiple shots a play) during that game and kept coming back for more. A lot respect for that guy that struggled through injuries the entire year.

But, you have to give Michigan all the credit. They played the tough-nosed 'dominate the box' football that Harbaugh and Michigan is all about. They are going to lean on you on offense and force you to stop the run, and they will keep you from running the football on defense and pressure your QB. And if you can't execute and make plays that are there at times, they are gonna wear you down and keep punching you in the mouth.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2024, 07:43 PM   #80
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Now that Harbaugh won a national championship does he return to the NFL?
Our local Washington team needs a new head coach and I here they could be moving to Virginia. He did a great job turning around the 49ers. I didn't see the game, sounds like Penix had his draft stock drop a ton just like Bo Nix's last game. I kept checking the gamecast while doing paperwork, looks like Michigan ran over them running the ball.
Penix was likely the biggest loser last night from an NFL draft stock.

Little doubt he can throw stripes in rhythm like thousands of QBs before him. He had an amazing season in the P12, but many times it was simple 7 on 7 tosses. Yes, he can throw the long ball on a 'dime'. Hundreds of guys can do that. The NFL requires QBs that can control the pocket, make plays with their feet, extend plays, and make throws under pressure play in and play out.

His legs are his biggest problem, along with the fact he has had 4 season-ending injuries and spent 6 years in college.

'24 QB class looks pretty weak IMO, so he could crazily still sneak into the Top 15-20 in the 1st round as many teams are in desperate need of a QB. Heck we see it every year where 4 to 5 guys get picked and 1 or 2 are deserving.

I'd go with Jayden Daniels and then Bo Nix maybe in the Top 10 on a draft board. Wouldn't risk taking another '24 QB guy in the 1st round as I don't see another legit NFL starter. Simply can't understand the Drake Maye hype. At all.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:32 PM   #81
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Penix was likely the biggest loser last night from an NFL draft stock.

Little doubt he can throw stripes in rhythm like thousands of QBs before him. He had an amazing season in the P12, but many times it was simple 7 on 7 tosses. Yes, he can throw the long ball on a 'dime'. Hundreds of guys can do that. The NFL requires QBs that can control the pocket, make plays with their feet, extend plays, and make throws under pressure play in and play out.

His legs are his biggest problem, along with the fact he has had 4 season-ending injuries and spent 6 years in college.

'24 QB class looks pretty weak IMO, so he could crazily still sneak into the Top 15-20 in the 1st round as many teams are in desperate need of a QB. Heck we see it every year where 4 to 5 guys get picked and 1 or 2 are deserving.

I'd go with Jayden Daniels and then Bo Nix maybe in the Top 10 on a draft board. Wouldn't risk taking another '24 QB guy in the 1st round as I don't see another legit NFL starter. Simply can't understand the Drake Maye hype. At all.

I keep hearing the local talking heads saying the Washington formerly known as Redskins should take Caleb Williams at 2, to that I say nooooooooooooooooo. The Bears pick first. I would have no problem trading down and taking Penix, but I did not see his last game. I can understand him forcing things considering how dominate Michigan was. I have seen him make some amazing throws.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2024, 09:34 PM   #82
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
... Wouldn't risk taking another '24 QB guy in the 1st round as I don't see another legit NFL starter.Simply can't understand the Drake Maye hype. At all.
Hard to disagree with that.

Spent a few minutes looking up top QBs that didn't go in the 1st round:

Tom Brady 6th Round 2000
Joe Montana 3rd Round 1979
Brett Favre 2nd Round 1991
Fran Tarkenton 3rd Round 1961
Johnny Unitas 9th round 1955
Kurt Warner undrafted 1994
Russell Wilson 3rd Round 2012
Bart Starr 17th Round 1956
Roger Staubach 10th Round 1964
Dak Prescott 4th Round 2016
Brock Purdy 7th Round Final Overall Pick 2022
Steve Young 1st Overall Pick Supplemental Draft 1984*

Kind of an amazing list when you consider many of the above 12 are all time greats.

* Of the 12, Steve Young would have been taken in early in the 1st round of the 1984 NFL draft had he not already been drafted and signed to a 10 year $40M contract by the USFL Los Angeles Express. Fyi, the USFL Draft was held in January whereas the NFL draft wasn't until May.

-jp

Old 01-09-2024, 10:33 PM   #83
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

Tom Brady 6th Round 2000

Kind of an amazing list when you consider many of the above 12 are all time greats.

* Of the 12, Steve Young would have been taken in early in the 1st round of the 1984 NFL draft had he not already been drafted and signed to a 10 year $40M contract by the USFL Los Angeles Express. Fyi, the USFL Draft was held in January whereas the NFL draft wasn't until May.

-jp

The draft isn't anywhere near as clueless as it used to be. Much of the past was just misinformation, poor scouting, and straight up luck and the team surrounding many.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 01-09-2024 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:35 PM   #84
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I keep hearing the local talking heads saying the Washington formerly known as Redskins should take Caleb Williams at 2, to that I say nooooooooooooooooo. The Bears pick first. I would have no problem trading down and taking Penix, but I did not see his last game. I can understand him forcing things considering how dominate Michigan was. I have seen him make some amazing throws.
Penix is a complete and absolute bust in the NFL.

Simply has no feet to the play the game in or out of the pocket that is needed to play in the NFL.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:45 PM   #85
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

Tom Brady 6th Round 2000

-jp

But to be honest, you only have to go back the last decade of QBs taken in the 1st round.

Franchises are so willing to give up almost everything for anybody as their QB.

It has to be about a 15% strike rate the last decade. Maybe 20%.