Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
TheEdge07
Veteran

Mike Tomlin

Will he be the first coach to be fired by the STEELERS?

BIT OVERRATED?
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Don't think they'll fire him, but in a few yrs I may wish they had.

Their defensive personnel is comprised of old players and inexperienced players.
Run D has been pitiful...giving up about 160yds a game so far.

I thought the offense would be good this year, but they've scored 9pts in their last six quarters and no TD's....next Sun vs Carolina looks like a tough road trip right now.

Team may get worse before they get better.
Looks like it will be a long season.

The guy that is gone and no one talks about is the one they miss the most:
Casey Hampton - held it down at nose guard for over a decade and was exactly what the 3-4 scheme needs...a huge fatty fat who controls his space and allows the LB's to shoot thru and make tackles.
He is retired and they haven't come close to replacing him.
Hampton is one of my all time favorite Steelers.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 09-14-2014 at 08:40 PM.
PhantomOnTour is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Maximillion

What about the offensive coordinator?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...75097201,d.aWw
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
RaceTrackDaddy

I knew they were trouble when the Rooney's had to hire Mike Tomlin as they were the loudest voice of using affirmative action to hire head coaches. I would rather had them hiring Bruce Arians (at the time was the offensive coordinator of the Steelers).

It is no secret that Big Ben and Todd Haley don't see eye to eye on many things regarding the offense and life in general but Mike loves him.

All I know is that after the Steelers had the huge lead against Cleveland (27-3) at half time laying seven points to let them come back in the second half to tie the score and have a field goal decide the game (and my fate) led me to tell people on twitter to UNLOAD ON THE RAVENS.

Now I am telling them to UNLOAD EARLY on CAROLINA as the line opened at -3 and moved to - 3 1/2. It might go to as much as -5 seeing how the money will be pouring in on the Panthers.

The Steelers will keep Mike on board through his contract (two years on the old contract and three more on the new extention that will last through the 2016 year). Looks like we will be seeing lack luster football in the 'burgh this year and the next two years. At least the Pirates and Penguins have chances at playing at the end of their seasons in the playoffs, something the Steelers will not have until Mike is long gone.

This is from a Steeler fan that had Kent Nix at quarterback, Earl Gross at fullback, Dick Hoak at Half back and Roy Jefferson as wide receiver to root for while growing up.
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

They have a real vanilla offense.

Their plays aren't particularly creative, and they don't get any mismatches from WR or Tight End.

Seeing that their star player (Big Ben) is a quarterback, you would think that the Steelers would attempt to take advantage of the big passing opportunities in today's NFL.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
They have a real vanilla offense.

Their plays aren't particularly creative, and they don't get any mismatches from WR or Tight End.

Seeing that their star player (Big Ben) is a quarterback, you would think that the Steelers would attempt to take advantage of the big passing opportunities in today's NFL.
One of the main reasons is that this generation of the Rooney family thinks wide receivers are expendable. No longer are the days of keeping Swann, Heinz and Stallworth until they retire. Plexico Buress was the first to go once his ability commanded the salary, Antonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Emanuel Sanders, etc. The Steelers will keep bringing in new talent at a low cost but the learning curve is longer than the time they stay here. The Rooney family will spend money on other positions that have not produced results the last few years due to injury like the offensive line.

The two drastic needs of this team is on defense at defensive backs and offensive line. Age has caught up with the defense and the team did not address that need in the draft or free agency with the addition of Mitchell (who is fast but can't cover nor tackle) and the team knew that going in. Although they have drafted offensive line talent, injuries have kept them on the sideline the last few years.

Add to the teams worries the two running backs getting busted for pot possession and DUI of pot.

Add to the lack of talent of this team to the lack of direction from both the front office and the coaching staff and you have a mediocre team that just might not make it to 8-8 this season. Cincy will eat this team up this year.

I took Carolina minus 3 1/2 for next Sunday night's game. I see the line moving up to minus 5 by game time. Call you man and bet early before the line moves. The over under was at 40 and is now at 41 and 1/2.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
ldiatone

many talk show hosts and news guys here in the burg picked steelers 10-6 or 9-7. i think 4-12, 5-11 is more realistic after the first 2 games. as race track daddy also knows this saying while growing up, SOS "Same Old Steelers"

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone
many talk show hosts and news guys here in the burg picked steelers 10-6 or 9-7. i think 4-12, 5-11 is more realistic after the first 2 games. as race track daddy also knows this saying while growing up, SOS "Same Old Steelers"
First off, I love the Mike Lang quote....
SOS Same Old Steelers would be the head line on the cover page of the Press and Post Gazette each Monday after the opener each season...UNTIL "The Emperor" Chaz Noll came to town. Boy do we miss a guy like him. With his passing it seems so did the Steelers of Super Bowl lore.

Us 'yinzers in the 'burgh really have two other professional teams that probably will make it to the playoffs. The Bucs have the inside track to the second wild card position and need only to keep winning to get to the playoffs so their destiny is in their hands. The Pens will be starting camp this week I think and that will start the new Rutherford GM year at the control of the team. Really do not know what to think but he is starting with a lot of talent in Crosby and Malkin. Things in the 'burgh are looking up and I will keep betting against the Steelers until they start covering.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTrackDaddy
One of the main reasons is that this generation of the Rooney family thinks wide receivers are expendable. No longer are the days of keeping Swann, Heinz and Stallworth until they retire. Plexico Buress was the first to go once his ability commanded the salary, Antonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Emanuel Sanders, etc. The Steelers will keep bringing in new talent at a low cost but the learning curve is longer than the time they stay here. The Rooney family will spend money on other positions that have not produced results the last few years due to injury like the offensive line.

The two drastic needs of this team is on defense at defensive backs and offensive line. Age has caught up with the defense and the team did not address that need in the draft or free agency with the addition of Mitchell (who is fast but can't cover nor tackle) and the team knew that going in. Although they have drafted offensive line talent, injuries have kept them on the sideline the last few years.

Add to the teams worries the two running backs getting busted for pot possession and DUI of pot.

Add to the lack of talent of this team to the lack of direction from both the front office and the coaching staff and you have a mediocre team that just might not make it to 8-8 this season. Cincy will eat this team up this year.

I took Carolina minus 3 1/2 for next Sunday night's game. I see the line moving up to minus 5 by game time. Call you man and bet early before the line moves. The over under was at 40 and is now at 41 and 1/2.
Did you mean Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes?

C'mon dude - you are a Steelers fan and write their names like that?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Did you mean Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes?

C'mon dude - you are a Steelers fan and write their names like that?
When the team starts covering the spreads, then I will worry about spelling...till then, I care not as the Rooneys care not for a winning team.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTrackDaddy
When the team starts covering the spreads, then I will worry about spelling...till then, I care not as the Rooneys care not for a winning team.
Cut the drama, will ya?

Do you worry about them winning or just covering the spread?
Your post is kind of confusing...you want them to cover the spread but blame Rooney for not wanting to win.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Ebb and flow of the league. RTD, we survived the Brister, Stoudt, and Mark Malone years, we'll get back where we belong again...I hope?

We better as I'm an hour south of Cincinnasti and I hate those MF'ers...but, I'm afraid they'll take both from us this year...
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
TheEdge07
Veteran

Are you giving Ben over 100 million the next 5 years while teams rebuilds?

You forgot we survived Stewart,Maddox,tomzack..
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
Are you giving Ben over 100 million the next 5 years while teams rebuilds?

You forgot we survived Stewart,Maddox,tomzack..

I'd finally got those guys out of my mind, Edge..

But since you mentioned them...O'Donnell..
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Cut the drama, will ya?

Do you worry about them winning or just covering the spread?
Your post is kind of confusing...you want them to cover the spread but blame Rooney for not wanting to win.
I do blame the Rooney family for not providing a team that can win. I gave up as a fan and now am just a bettor when the Steelers play.

A team can cover a spread without winning and a team can win without covering a spread. When money is wagered, team loyalty sits on the sidelines.

Some of the best betting prospects over the years was on Monday night football with the Steelers at home. I lost count of the times they crushed on those days and double down what I was up with the book that week or got out when being down by sending it on that game. You cannot do that with this coach or team. We are left looking back at the glory days of the Steelers and as long as Haley guides the offense, Tomlin is the head coach and the front office refuses to address the team's needs, this is not Steeler football anymore.

In summation, the lack of ownership caring to create a team that can win, I resigned myself to being a sports bettor until such day that the Rooney family attempts to put a winning team on the field. As long as they fail to cover the spread (as a favorite or a dog) there is money on the table to be had, why not take advantage of this team's lack of talent and direction??