Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
theiman

Best Wishes to Frank Mirahmadi

https://twitter.com/FrankMirahmadi/s...74860640137216

Frank Mirahmadi ‏@FrankMirahmadi 6h6 hours ago
I am taking a leave from Golden Gate Fields for surgery. Michael Wrona starts fill-in this Thursday. I'll likely be out until December 26.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Best wishes Frank! You are appreciated and will be missed (despite me not playing GG )
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Best wishes Frank....
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
ultracapper

Best wishes. I always enjoyed his segments on TVG when he was a regular anchor. He's one of those guys when I'd see him on TV that came across as one of the good ones. Good vibes.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
whisperlunch

Please Get well soon I hope they don't bring back the Shiela to announce GGif he can't make it
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
forced89

Good luck to one of the good guys!
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
Big Peps

Frank is my favorite race caller and I love Tony at the Lakes too, I know everybody has their opinions but I was pissed when Frank didn't get the Santa Anita gig.. heading to Finger Lakes today actually, got one in. Should be me and most likely two others

Last edited by Big Peps; 11-15-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
theiman

LA Times Article on Miramahdi

Part of the article mentions he has Stage 3B Colon Cancer and is being treated for it.

The fact they found only two cancerous lymph nodes meant the staging was 3B. Four would have meant 3C. According to the American Cancer Society the five-year survival rate for 3B is 69%. For 3C it goes to 53%.

Mirahmadi is currently undergoing chemotherapy at UCLA. He goes every three weeks for the actual treatment and takes a strict regimen of pills in between. So far, things are going well, with some side effects, especially after an infusion.

“The way I look at it, like in a video game, I’m completely in bonus time right now,” Mirahmadi said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/l...320-story.html

Get better Frank. The game needs someone like you who makes it so much fun for the rest of us to enjoy.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
LA Times Article on Miramahdi

Part of the article mentions he has Stage 3B Colon Cancer and is being treated for it.

The fact they found only two cancerous lymph nodes meant the staging was 3B. Four would have meant 3C. According to the American Cancer Society the five-year survival rate for 3B is 69%. For 3C it goes to 53%.

Mirahmadi is currently undergoing chemotherapy at UCLA. He goes every three weeks for the actual treatment and takes a strict regimen of pills in between. So far, things are going well, with some side effects, especially after an infusion.

“The way I look at it, like in a video game, I’m completely in bonus time right now,” Mirahmadi said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/l...320-story.html

Get better Frank. The game needs someone like you who makes it so much fun for the rest of us to enjoy.
A really good race caller. Interesting article. Don't know if it's good for him to talk about gambling problem but it's his business.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

i hope this doesnt mean theyre bringing back angela herman
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
A really good race caller. Interesting article. Don't know if it's good for him to talk about gambling problem but it's his business.
I think that's great.

30 years ago Bill Christine (a racing writer who didn't bet very much) wrote a great article about all the betting in race track press boxes. Unsurprisingly, almost all of his colleagues were losing players and some of them had serious addictions.

And the sports betting thing needed to be said too. A lot of people who can beat one gambling game insist on playing others they can't beat. Casual fans cannot beat the vig in sports betting.

I believe passionately in legal gambling, and strongly feel that anyone should have the right to place a bet on an outcome and experience that action. But we have to tell the truth about addicts and encourage them to get out before they ruin their lives. Miramahdi lost a good job due to a gambling problem. That's a story worth telling.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think that's great.

30 years ago Bill Christine (a racing writer who didn't bet very much) wrote a great article about all the betting in race track press boxes. Unsurprisingly, almost all of his colleagues were losing players and some of them had serious addictions.

And the sports betting thing needed to be said too. A lot of people who can beat one gambling game insist on playing others they can't beat. Casual fans cannot beat the vig in sports betting.

I believe passionately in legal gambling, and strongly feel that anyone should have the right to place a bet on an outcome and experience that action. But we have to tell the truth about addicts and encourage them to get out before they ruin their lives. Miramahdi lost a good job due to a gambling problem. That's a story worth telling.
Bill Christine and I became good friends. One of a kind writing style. For a sample do a search for Bill Christine Get out the lifeboats. Nobody has that kind of style.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Bill Christine and I became good friends. One of a kind writing style. For a sample do a search for Bill Christine Get out the lifeboats. Nobody has that kind of style.
I know it isn't mentioned often but among horse racing turf writers, the very best to me was always Bill Christine.

To get to the thread, I hope and pray Frank Miramadhi beats this. He has a lot of fans cheering him on. Good luck Cheech.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I know it isn't mentioned often but among horse racing turf writers, the very best to me was always Bill Christine.

To get to the thread, I hope and pray Frank Miramadhi beats this. He has a lot of fans cheering him on. Good luck Cheech.
In 2010 during the boycott Baffert was on my list (Dubaibob@). He got so pissed of that he replied to all asking that Bill Christine and I be banned from going to Santa Anita. I kid you not. It was great.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Anywhere to read that article besides the LAT web site? It is horrendous. I've tried everything to get it to load properly and it just keeps jumping all over when I try to read it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: