Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #46
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Who was the last wise guy horse to win?
I guess if it means a horse who is training up a storm coming into the race and runs like he worked, then maybe American Pharaoh was the most recent. Barbaro was another one who everyone was raving about in his works, and he ran to it. I'll Have Another worked like a beast up to his Derby win, with gallops that looked like work outs almost everyday, so he was getting a lot of buzz.

The classic wise guy horse was Dollar Bill who had a lot of trouble in the Louisiana Derby, so more of a last race trip issue, cannot remember if his works were good up to the race though. Ran pretty much the same race in the KY Derby that he ran in the LA derby and got himself into trouble again, so he was low odds going into the Preakness, then ran fourth I think at low odds to Point Given.

And I am sure there are a lot more on the runs poor side than runs good side.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #47
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Super Saver? Because of the Borel hot streak?
Old 04-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #48
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Get off the fence and take a stand with this horse.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #49
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Get off the fence and take a stand with this horse.
I have a stand.

I think game winner will win. That’s my top choice. Therefore I don’t think by my standards will win. But he’s got a big shot and I’ll definitely use the on top in exotics
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #50
clicknow

Nice horse, don't think he has the speed and stamina combo to win this though. The problem is that my 3rd and 4th spots on ticket are getting full at this point, and I think I'd rather use tacitus and/or gray magic there, because all this hype sometimes lowers odds on a longshot and By My Standards may end up being lower odds than the risk of using him actually represents (for me).
OTOH maybe he is Golden Soul, Commanding Curve etc. and if you LIKE him I would put in 2nd.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #51
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
Why would they be changing his running style? He was doing well as is.
Actually, I think he WAS, but is no longer. The blinks thing, and now possibly changing his running style, and he appears to be a skittish anxiety ridden character...I think Bob is out of ideas for this one and can only ruin him further. I actually had him as a strong win candidate but now I just don't know. Watchmaker said he was quite rank in beginning part of his work, but then ended up running okay. The balking at gate in Ark Derby, and his generalized anxiety disorder really have me worried about him.
I liked Solomini a whole lot but that was another head case who, if his head had been on straight, may have really blossomed. Baffert isn't always great with every horse, only the ones that he gets sent that are best of the breed.... when you are given american pharoahs, justifys and arrogates to train, how hard can it be......but as a trainer with tough hard head cases, I really can't see that he does anything more brilliant with the "problem horses" than anyone else. As a matter of fact, Asmussen having so many Tapits, who can be troublesome, does a better job. Baffert sure did a bad job with solomini who really had a lot of potential

Last edited by clicknow; 04-28-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:40 AM   #52
clicknow

Just wanted to say that I thought By My Standards is one beautiful hunk of horse. I had never seen him on large screen and I thought he was one of the best looking horses in the Derby in the post parade. Almost made me want to put a wager in on him.