Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
You do not understand the difference between an NFL post-game interview and an interview with a former (?) WWE wrestler? If not, seek help.
There's no difference......two athletes yelling into the camera, its one in the same.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #62
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Would have it have made you feel better if he said,

"black and with tons of money, and an attitude of entitlement all of which leads them into very bad situations both legally and morally"

Let's face it. These are normally young men. There is a difference culturally. You can deny it all you want. That doesn't make the problem go away.

No, he clearly said that because there is a high percentage of blacks, that increases the likelihood of stupid things being done. There is no spinning what he posted.

Lets see.........Two of the stupidest things I can remember being done this year in pro sports and entertainment and they were done by Riley Cooper and Justin Bieber. That kind of shoots down the theory that "race" or "culture" has something to do with people doing stupid things. It doesn't matter what color anyone is, there will always be idiots and the only thing that may make it more likely perhaps is if the people are young and have money.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #63
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
I dont know if he is racist or not but that comment taken on its own was just atrocious IMO and really hard to defend.
He has a different outlook than most. He lives in a black neighborhood. He has many friends who are black(and agree with him btw) he has witnessed killings a block from his house. When I say witnessed I mean from 20 feet away.

He lives in a city where they speak a different dialogue when it comes to race. The blacks are actually more forthright than anything CJ's Dad says on this board. I have sat with him and his friends. They are much closer to these problems than just about anybody I know on this board. There are others on this board who could chime in. They don't, they're younger and less apt to speak out.

We have a national story going on right now about a mall shooting 25 minutes west of Baltimore. 2 people shot in a domestic at the mall. Shooter dead also. People all over social media screaming about guns etc. Yet in Baltimore in the first ten days of the year 12 people were shot ( you can guess the racial makeup) and for fear of being labeled a racist, it's not a black problem. The people who live there know different. It's a cultural problem that is ignored for fear of being labeled a racist.

Back to the original comment. Black NFL players get in trouble at a rate 10 times the rate of white players. The NFL is 67% black.

Lots of reasons. Mostly cultural. The blacks participate in a culture that is completely different than the white players. The yield is more trouble, more arrests etc.

Sherman's on field statements after the game brought many comments. Many associating him with the culture of troublesome issues. Regardless of his grade point average, brains and brawn, he was appealing and directing his comments into a theme that is part of the same culture and attitude that causes problems with NFL players. He may be an outlier in some respects, but he chose to appeal to a certain attitude. Good or bad. I'm sure he had his reasons.

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-25-2014 at 09:19 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #64
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
No, he clearly said that because there is a high percentage of blacks, that increases the likelihood of stupid things being done. There is no spinning what he posted.

Lets see.........Two of the stupidest things I can remember being done this year in pro sports and entertainment and they were done by Riley Cooper and Justin Bieber. That kind of shoots down the theory that "race" or "culture" has something to do with people doing stupid things. It doesn't matter what color anyone is, there will always be idiots and the only thing that may make it more likely perhaps is if the people are young and have money.
Justin Bieber is white?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #65
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Don't forget Hernandez.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But CJ's dad has his reasons for speaking the way he does. He lives it. You and I may not have the same dialogue as he does. But it's real. And it's accurate in many many ways. But if you are going to go after him for it, you need to understand he's got many valid reasons for what he says. He is a stone cold inner city Baltimore guy. 65 plus years. He has loved that place forever. It's written all over him. He is echoing the same things his friends say. I guess since they're black they can do it. He can't. Btw, they don't sit around and say "blacks are stupid" they discuss individual issues and events. If they did the former, they would be racist.

Off my soap box.

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-25-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #66
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Justin Bieber is white?
So is the other guy. But I get you were trying to be funny.

It doesn't change Relwob's point though. It makes a different point which I'm sure was his meaning.

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-25-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #67
cj's dad

I just saw this! I hang out in a bar 100 yards from my home that is predominately black' most of my friends there are black. As Ralph and the Whiz can attest to they like me; work/pay taxes/ and obey the law/If you want to label me a racist go right ahead- I think it is comical
Old 01-26-2014, 01:13 AM   #68
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
I just saw this! I hang out in a bar 100 yards from my home that is predominately black' most of my friends there are black. As Ralph and the Whiz can attest to they like me; work/pay taxes/ and obey the law/If you want to label me a racist go right ahead- I think it is comical

Cjs dad is not racist

I seen why my own eyes him having close friends that are black

We went on a road trip to the strip club which consisted of myself him and a black gentleman
Old 01-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #69
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
There's no difference......two athletes yelling into the camera, its one in the same.
Oh yes, it's a distinction without a difference (a football player vs. a WWE wrestler). It's such a nuanced difference. Barely perceptible. All sarcasm...in case you missed it.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #70
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Out of respect to another poster, I'll leave it at this: the word choice in your original posting was poor. You should have just said, "what do you expect from an NFL player?" There was no need to inject race. There are plenty of white NFL players who behave like idiots. I'm sure you'd agree with that.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #71
mountainman

Poor wording, but the guy deserves a pass. As much as I'd love to bury a ravens fan, he doesn't strike me as a racist, and I get what he was trying to say about cultural differences. Not saying I agree, just that I get his intended point and take him at his word when he says he's not a racist.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-26-2014 at 04:13 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #72
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Common sense prevails.......

Who says off topic is a bad place to be. Some very interesting discussions happen sometimes. Especially when it comes Rastling
Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #73
Relwob Owner

Quote:

I dont know if you are racist or not. That post sure seemed to lean that way and I must say that you seem incredibly interested in race, as you seem to interject it a lot in your posts and comments and most of them seem to be commenting, often negatively, about blacks.

At the very least, the post was ignorant, not because of any racism but that you implied Sherman went to Stanford because he is a good football player. You didn't respond when it was pointed out how intelligent he is and I could only assume it was because you figured you stood corrected.

Last edited by Relwob Owner; 01-26-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #74
cj's dad

Quote:
I dont know if you are racist or not. That post sure seemed to lean that way and I must say that you seem incredibly interested in race, as you seem to interject it a lot in your posts and comments and most of them seem to be commenting, often negatively, about blacks.

At the very least, the post was ignorant, not because of any racism but that you implied Sherman went to Stanford because he is a good football player. You didn't respond when it was pointed out how intelligent he is and I could only assume it was because you figured you stood corrected.
You are correct- I am ignorant and I stand corrected ! Thanks for the update!

The strange thing is that I have no idea what you are about. You post nothing of substance in OT. Maybe you have skeletons in your closet? I say what I mean and mean what I say, although I may not say it as elequently as others. When I used the word "stupid", my meaning was to suggest that some athletes act like children and tend to pander to the lowest level of society.Why they do this I have no clue. My guess would be that they want "street cred"; a term I have heard many many times before. I hated when Ray Lewis did the pre-game Raven scream and he played for my favorite team. I hate the taunting by an opponent that is losing by 3 TD's late jn the 3rd qtr I hate the "it's all about me attitude shown by many in the NFL. That the NFL is 67% black I did not know. Were the NFL 67% white I would post the same thing. Your characterization of me is incorrect.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #75
Relwob Owner

Quote:
You are correct- I am ignorant and I stand corrected ! Thanks for the update!

The strange thing is that I have no idea what you are about. You post nothing of substance in OT. Maybe you have skeletons in your closet? I say what I mean and mean what I say, although I may not say it as elequently as others. When I used the word "stupid", my meaning was to suggest that some athletes act like children and tend to pander to the lowest level of society.Why they do this I have no clue. My guess would be that they want "street cred"; a term I have heard many many times before. I hated when Ray Lewis did the pre-game Raven scream and he played for my favorite team. I hate the taunting by an opponent that is losing by 3 TD's late jn the 3rd qtr I hate the "it's all about me attitude shown by many in the NFL. That the NFL is 67% black I did not know. Were the NFL 67% white I would post the same thing. Your characterization of me is incorrect.
CJD,

I think I do post things of substance in OT-sports, as I follow sports pretty closely, the Browns(unfortunately for me) in particular. I think you may have been glossing over my posts and missed the fact that I never characterized you as a person at all. I try to always mention the "post" because it is silly and ignorant to judge a person as a whole on any random remark, especially on a message board. I simply pointed out that the post leaned towards a racist bent and that you often post about race and that you also appeared to have your facts wrong about Sherman. Thats what I saw and commented on, knowing full well that I don't know you at all and can't characterize you as a person based on what you say on here.

I respect the fact that you say what you mean and mean what you say and I have the right to comment on it in response. That being said, I believe in the fact that you cant judge someone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. I dont know if you are racist or not(as I mentioned in my post). I absolutely agree with you about athletes acting like idiots, I was just disagreeing with the assertion that it had anything to do with the percentages of blacks in the NFL and I didnt see a need to correlate the two. Like I have said, there are idiots of all color shape and size and like you, I hate it when anyone celebrates when making a tackle when down by three TD's, when players do the repetetive dances, the all about me attitudes, etc. See, something we agree on....

Lets put this to bed and maybe we can debate how many touchdowns my Browns are going to beat your boys by next time they play next year.