Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #46
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I think the problem many sports fans have is that they don't realize that Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball are NOT any different than Professional wrestling as far as entertainment goes. Sure, maybe those sports are less "crooked" and some people think they're 100% honest (you know, the ones who were born last night lol) but for the most part, its all a big "reality show" and the only reason these games exist is to sell you products, people take these games WAY too seriously, i don't see any reason to sit in front of a tv and watch all these commercials unless you have either a wager on the games OR plan on using the video information to make betting decisions in the future. Anyone who watches these games for "Free" is the biggest sucker on the planet.
Professional wrestling was never 'fixed' because it never was broken.

Major pro sports today is indeed broken, even to does that are supporters.

For many years I have been saying the NFL, PGA, NBA, et al, are little more than infomercials. My friends used to laugh when I would say that. No one laughs anymore.

Good post SRU.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #47
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Professional wrestling was never 'fixed' because it never was broken.

Major pro sports today is indeed broken, even to does that are supporters.

For many years I have been saying the NFL, PGA, NBA, et al, are little more than infomercials. My friends used to laugh when I would say that. No one laughs anymore.

Good post SRU.

Thanks!

What i meant to say is that pro sports are entertainment first...and yet, people think of them as "pure sport" when they are far from it. The olympics is more "pure sport" than professional sports leagues.....the olympics have their games set up so that the best person wins....in pro sports, you have refs making calls to favor teams in bigger markets, etc. ...that's not something that should ever happen in a "pure sport" league. These people arent interested in getting to the bottom of the results, all they care about is selling advertising.

A great example was during the New England Denver game.....Denver was way ahead, New England had 3 points to their name and on that drive in the 3rd quarter there were TWO major penalties on Denver that were called to keep the game "in doubt". and the refs essentially got New England into the end zone and got you and me to watch another round of advertisements.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #48
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times? have to stay ghettofabulous/licious right He went to Stanford- Think it has anything to do with the fact he is a great player?

Are you saying that because the NFL is 80-85% black, there is a greater likelihood of stupid things being done by its players? Seems to me that these days, stupid things are being done by people of all races and ethnicities.

Also, I read that he had a 4.2 in High School, a 1400 SAT score and graduated Stanford with a 3.7 GPA and a Masters Degree. If this is true, then his going to Stanford clearly was due to more than just being a great player.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #49
NJ Stinks

Quote:
People in America much too sensitive...they're looking for any reason to cut someone down to size. Sherman is playing a violent game and was in the heat of the battle mere seconds before this interview. Sherman seems to be an otherwise good person who stays out of trouble, helps his community, gives to charities, helps young people, etc.

A guy like this should get a pass, he's even apologized when he really didnt have to.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Sherman acted like a fool in that interview. Now that we know more about the guy, it's likely that he was putting on an act in order to make more money down the line.

This observation doesn't make me insensitive, it makes me skeptical.

One more thing. Anybody who ever did anything great on a football field or any other athletic endeavor knows nobody acts like Sherman did in that interview after the game is over - except on purpose.

Unless you lost, of course.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #50
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times? have to stay ghettofabulous/licious right He went to Stanford- Think it has anything to do with the fact he is a great player?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news dad,but you being WHITE and the author of this asinine post, effectively refutes your assertion.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #51
RXB

Most of the younger gens love Sherman's kind of bluster. I could do without it but hey, given everything that goes on in the world of football, a guy yelling in an interview seems like mild sauce.

What makes me laugh is the stuff about him being a "thug" and a "dummy." He's no thug and he's no dummy. Actually seems like quite a good guy off of the field.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #52
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Most of the younger gens love Sherman's kind of bluster. I could do without it but hey, given everything that goes on in the world of football, a guy yelling in an interview seems like mild sauce.

What makes me laugh is the stuff about him being a "thug" and a "dummy." He's no thug and he's no dummy. Actually seems like quite a good guy off of the field.
I'm not that young but I loved it. He and Crabtree have a little history, Crabtree said he didn't think Sherman was that good earlier in the week, so you know he was waiting to make a statement play. Sherman made the play of the game, Crabtree pulled another superbowl no show in crunch time, and the rest is history.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #53
Stillriledup
Veteran

If a pro wrestler like Rowdy Roddy Piper (for example) gets into the camera and yells like an "idiot" nobody has a problem with it. Not only does nobody have a problem with it, people LIKE it. Sherman does the same thing, although much less mild than Roddy Piper. Now, why people get mad at one guy and not mad at the other is anyones guess.

As Colin Cowherd might say, " that's a YOU problem".
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #54
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
If a pro wrestler like Rowdy Roddy Piper (for example) gets into the camera and yells like an "idiot" nobody has a problem with it. Not only does nobody have a problem with it, people LIKE it. Sherman does the same thing, although much less mild than Roddy Piper. Now, why people get mad at one guy and not mad at the other is anyones guess.

As Colin Cowherd might say, " that's a YOU problem".
You do not understand the difference between an NFL post-game interview and an interview with a former (?) WWE wrestler? If not, seek help.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #55
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Hate to be the bearer of bad news dad,but you being WHITE and the author of this asinine post, effectively refutes your assertion.
Yeah, that's right. NFL athletes are pure as the driven snow.

He's not a racist, he's a realist. It will never change as long as the truth is ignored.

In the words of one of my friends "Lord! What have my people done now?"
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #56
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

He's not a racist, he's a realist. It will never change as long as the truth is ignored.

"The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times?" ---CJD

Okay.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #57
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

And Ralph, help me - give an example of what a racist statement would look like.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #58
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
"The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times?" ---CJD

Okay.
Would have it have made you feel better if he said,

"black and with tons of money, and an attitude of entitlement all of which leads them into very bad situations both legally and morally"

Let's face it. These are normally young men. There is a difference culturally. You can deny it all you want. That doesn't make the problem go away.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #59
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
And Ralph, help me - give an example of what a racist statement would look like.
Yeah right. You need me for that? Right?

Plenty of those around I'm sure.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #60
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

I dont know if he is racist or not but that comment taken on its own was just atrocious IMO and really hard to defend.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply