Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #46
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post
I'm surprised so many are shocked by this.

If you were to ask me who I think is most likely to win a race, it probably isn't going to be the horse I am betting on because it comes down to if the odds reflect the chances of winning - and I am probably trending towards longer shots with better chances to win than their odds suggest.

You are getting 'tips' on tickets with reasonable chances of winning that generally fit a given dollar range. TVG might request a PK6 ticket of roughly $50-$75 and their own personal tickets might be closer to $500 or $1000.
I don't care about the accuracy of their picks, because all of us lose many more times than we win. What I find laughable is the fact that most of them are totally unprepared in their pre-race commentaries...which forces them to make their selections on the fly. They sometimes pick horses that are scratched...or stammer when they try to find the horse that figures to benefit from the presumed "flow" of the race. I mean...this is their JOB, and they get paid a good salary. Can't they prepare ahead of time so they don't seem so confused when they discuss these races?

Another thing that irks me is when the race is won by a horse that they've never mentioned pre-race...and they then proceed to give a litany of reasons why the horse might have been a good bet to win, as if the longshot was somehow IGNORED. They aren't too smart before the race...but they become EXPERTS afterwards. Very childish, IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-21-2018 at 05:29 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #47
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Well they were laughing at classless people who were playing their picks so there wouldn't be a single winner.
DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #48
PointGiven

Have to agree. Being unprepared is just wrong. But it goes back to the two schools of thought, both have been expressed here. Entertainment or horse person.

To many of them think the "work" is being on television.

I am fine with giving out selections and check marks, play or not is up to the customer.

But give information, talk about each horse as they pass by. Not about wine.

It's great to be personable and talk about other stuff here and there. But way often than not it's the other way around.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: