Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

This man is about to die...

Much controversy surrounding the NY Post's decision to publish this photo on their front page...

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...een-published/

What a nightmare all around...nobody is trying to help this guy...of course you have to worry if you try and help, he'll pull you onto the tracks as well...but it looks like the doomed man could have made it to the other side, knowing the subway system as I do...but he was dazed and confused after being pushed onto the tracks by a demented ****...

So sad...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Interesting comment from a photographer on that NYT blog:

Quote:
As a serious, if amateur, photographer, and one who is very familiar with the history of photography, the image grabbed me this morning when I saw it. As an image, it is in many ways perfect. It shows the horror of oncoming death. Maybe this is why so many dislike it, we no longer like to see these types of images that show us we are mortal, or what it is like to die a violent death, whether in or out of war. (Look at the toll of our current wars and our history of censoring photos from them).

One thing that the editors must have considered is that the face of the victim is not shown. That makes it just palatable enough for publication, imo

Again, speaking as a photographer, it certainly brings the question of the role of a photojournalist into sharp relief. Do you put down the camera and get involved, or do you steel yourself and get the shot? Consider that if this photographer got this shot, he must have gotten others even less pleasant. No doubt they will be used as evidence in front of a jury, and when the murderer gets an extra long sentence because of the horror of these images, we will be pleased.

Another reason I am glad the photo was published, is it shows how absolutely alone the victim was. Where were the other people who could have helped? Instead of blaming the photographer, let's think about that. Easy to wave at the train operator. Less easy to take direct action. All it would have taken is two average sized males to pull the victim up from the tracks.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
nijinski

I personally think it's a horrible image for his family to have deal with and know it's out there in circulation .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
thaskalos

What a startling example of the apathy and gross indifference some of us are capable of displaying...even at the most critical times.

A man desperately trying to escape the most gruesome sort of death...and no one anywhere near to help him.

Shocking beyond words...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

One has to consider the circumstances. This man was pushed to the tracks by, apparently, a raving lunatic, who was still nearby. Do you not only risk your life trying to save the man, considering he might accidentally pull you down onto the tracks with him, or perhaps the raving lunatic might try and push you in front of the train as well?

It's not so easy to sit back and say someone should have tried to help, given the circumstances...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
One has to consider the circumstances. This man was pushed to the tracks by, apparently, a raving lunatic, who was still nearby. Do you not only risk your life trying to save the man, considering he might accidentally pull you down onto the tracks with him, or perhaps the raving lunatic might try and push you in front of the train as well?

It's not so easy to sit back and say someone should have tried to help, given the circumstances...
I couldn't disagree more.

There should have been 5 people right there, at least attempting to pull the man up. Yes, one person would have been risking his own life...but two people might have pulled him up with no trouble.

Not to have even one person close by is unthinkable...IMO.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I couldn't disagree more.

There should have been 5 people right there, at least attempting to pull the man up. Yes, one person would have been risking his own life...but two people might have pulled him up with no trouble.

You're discounting the crazy ****er who has already proven he has no problems pushing people onto the tracks. There's a reason there is nobody else in the picture, and it probably doesn't have all to do with the fact that there is a man on the tracks and nobody is rushing to help him.

There have been similar stories in NYC of people who have fallen onto the tracks while drunk or accidentally, and people have saved them...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Overlay

The commentator quoted in post #2 above seems to take the point of view that the photographer was valuing getting his shot over helping the victim. From what I read, the photographer was running toward the victim using the only implement he had (the flash on his camera) in an attempt to alert the conductor of the oncoming train (however ineffectual that effort may have been). The images that he was capturing in the process were incidental to that, as horrifying as they turned out to be (again, according to what I read).

Last edited by Overlay; 12-05-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Pace Cap'n

Quote:

Would help to know how long he was down there before the train showed up.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Ideally you have one leader who can order the guy over to the other side , or organize a 2-man pickup.

Apparently the guy was down there over a minute.

I don't blame the photographer, but his story sounds hard to believe. I'm not a photographer, but I can't logically arrange how sprinting towards the train and flashing distress signals results in perfectly centered, perfectly timed shots.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Apparently the guy was down there over a minute.
Criminal...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Criminal...
I find it hard to believe that you, as a father, would rush without thinking twice, to save this man all the while knowing there is a raving lunatic nearby who just pushed this person onto the tracks...

I'm not saying you wouldn't...just saying I find it hard to believe you wouldn't think long and hard about it...and there wasn't really time to think long and hard about anything from what I'm reading.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

What time of day was it, and approximately how many able-bodied men were on that platform?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

With all this said, I too am very surprised nobody rushed to try and pull this man up. It wouldn't be all that hard to do...two guys could easily grab him under the shoulders and yank him up...he apparently wasn't an overly large man...

That's why I question how many people were around at that moment...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I find it hard to believe that you, as a father, would rush without thinking twice, to save this man all the while knowing there is a raving lunatic nearby who just pushed this person onto the tracks...

I'm not saying you wouldn't...just saying I find it hard to believe you wouldn't think long and hard about it...and there wasn't really time to think long and hard about anything from what I'm reading.
Don't get me wrong...I am not exactly the "hero" type.

But there is no way I would have just stood there, as a man was desperately trying to pull himself up from certain death...for over a MINUTE? That's hardly a heroic act.

I can't believe that they didn't report how many people were down there when it happened.