Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
davew

Uncut Gems - movie review

A movie about a compulsive gambler, juggling his business, family, girlfriend and bookies. It reminded me of an updated version of Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel and baseball. This version has Adam Sandler as a jeweler in New York and basketball (with Kevin Garnett) is what he is betting on this week. I liked it and not many watching as a Star Wars version was pulling most of the people in the theater I went to.

I give it a and recommend it if you have ever made a sports bet in your life.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
A movie about a compulsive gambler, juggling his business, family, girlfriend and bookies. It reminded me of an updated version of Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel and baseball. This version has Adam Sandler as a jeweler in New York and basketball (with Kevin Garnett) is what he is betting on this week. I liked it and not many watching as a Star Wars version was pulling most of the people in the theater I went to.

I give it a and recommend it if you have ever made a sports bet in your life.
Thanks Dave
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
ElKabong

Can't wait to see it. I heard Sandler's interview on Fresh Air (npr), sounds good
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Bennie

Sounds like my friend who I hang out with at OTB. Diamond dealer, horse player, had a wife and girlfriend. He is not a compulsive gambler and lost his wife a few years ago and gave up the girlfriend but I am sure he knows a few other men like that. Used to work the diamond district in NY.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
davew

currently ranked #7 for number of f-bombs

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...kip=1578007604
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
mountainman

I found it muted and disjointed. I kept waiting for Sophia Coppola to pop up.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
currently ranked #7 for number of f-bombs

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...kip=1578007604
There's a guy on youtube who does movie highlights with only f-bombs...
Have only seen the Glengarry Glen Ross video he has, and it was funny(/surprisingly-comprehensive).

Movie sounds interesting. At least worth a watch.

edit -
(content warning: Contains foul language, and may be 'offensive', please don't ban me Mike)

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-03-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2020, 12:01 AM   #8
ElKabong

Maybe the worst movie I've ever seen, on many levels. Disappointing
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 AM   #9
senortout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Maybe the worst movie I've ever seen, on many levels. Disappointing
Entirely in agreement with your assessment of this lousy movie. I was wanting to enjoy it!
The cobbled plot was unveeringly boring as you kept waiting for a positive result for this guy and his life, always knowing what the results would be.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

From seeing Trailer:
A little bit hard for me to take Adam Sandler as a 'serious' Harvey Keitel type.

I will give this movie a watch. I'll give it a chance.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
lansdale

Caveat emptor

Read the script awhile back due to interest in the subject and thought it was pretty good. Haven't had a chance to see the film, but it's become something of a sleeper hit and is widely admired among film people. Seems to have an outside shot at an Oscar nomination for BP -- which should be announced tomorrow.

Re subject line -- the film is a tragic tale of gambling addiction, somewhat similar in nature to Jim Toback's 'The Gambler,' but more much more unrelenting in execution and without pleasant distractions like the presence of Lauren Hutton. Unfortunately, some may have been misled by Sandler's involvement to think that it will have comic elements. But as is the case with, say, 'Macbeth,' not too many laughs.

I've seen this happen with some kinds of films, and have heard complaints from friends like those above in this thread -- I'd recommend taking a quick look at a couple of reviews on metacritic.com, which should give a sense of a movie's general tone, and possibly prevent a bad experience.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Read the script awhile back due to interest in the subject and thought it was pretty good. Haven't had a chance to see the film, but it's become something of a sleeper hit and is widely admired among film people. Seems to have an outside shot at an Oscar nomination for BP -- which should be announced tomorrow.

Re subject line -- the film is a tragic tale of gambling addiction, somewhat similar in nature to Jim Toback's 'The Gambler,' but more much more unrelenting in execution and without pleasant distractions like the presence of Lauren Hutton. Unfortunately, some may have been misled by Sandler's involvement to think that it will have comic elements. But as is the case with, say, 'Macbeth,' not too many laughs.

I've seen this happen with some kinds of films, and have heard complaints from friends like those above in this thread -- I'd recommend taking a quick look at a couple of reviews on metacritic.com, which should give a sense of a movie's general tone, and possibly prevent a bad experience.
As I stated above I heard Sandler's interview on NPR. No bones were made about his character, in fact Sandler said he was hesitant to take it. His kids' perception of him could change from this movie and he didn't want that.

To me the movie just flat out sucked. I knew the intensity level of it from the interview. It fell far short of a good movie and/ or entertaining
Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
As I stated above I heard Sandler's interview on NPR. No bones were made about his character, in fact Sandler said he was hesitant to take it. His kids' perception of him could change from this movie and he didn't want that.

To me the movie just flat out sucked. I knew the intensity level of it from the interview. It fell far short of a good movie and/ or entertaining

Fair enough -- you gave it a shot.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

4/5 STARS

★★★★☆
3 1/2 or 4 stars
Entertaining movie.

The details of the plot had to have some uniqueness/suspension of disbelief (or else it wouldn't have been movie worthy in the first place), but the acting and script was devoted to realism for that world.

Realistic behavior, realistic dialogue, but nothing 'deep'. Sort of had the pacing of a 'heist movie', but with various exhales, and tangent branch-offs.

Not a movie that I feel an urge to re-watch, nor to download certain favorite scenes or dialogue. I was entertained last night watching it. I'd maybe see it again with a friend who hasn't seen it.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My dad made me stop it after the first 10-15 minutes...lol

I will likely go back and watch the rest at some point.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: