Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
lamboguy

if i ran so. cal racing

i turn the santa anita and hollywood meets into strickly turf meets and run 4 days a week. i would make a deal for the horses to use outside facilities to train on conventional dirt and ship in the day of the race. i would raise the every day pusrses by at least 20% and attract horses from all over the continent to run there. i would get rid of the whole stakes program and re-disign it for turf. they are not going to get any kentucky derby winners there any more after the surface change so why bother with the santa anita derby. you must play to your strengths, and for sure they have great turf courses out there.

even with the cutback of one day a week i would think that the total handles will still increase from this move.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
fmolf

I agree,I think more and more tracks will go to the 4 day race week.Hopefully they will coordinate within themselves to offer a balanced weekday racing schedule.I do not think all turf racing will get the job done for them.This is like beating a dead horse but all their problems really started with the polytrack mandate.Mr california Doug O'neill has a string of horses at philly park.Thats all anyone needs to know about the poly!last year he sent a small string out here and did not win a race this year he has more horses and is doing very well.Where have all the horses gone?I really do not follow cal. closely at all not since the poly came in.I know Harty has shipped to other tracks,Baffert as well.What became of all the smaller stables?
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
I agree,I think more and more tracks will go to the 4 day race week.Hopefully they will coordinate within themselves to offer a balanced weekday racing schedule.I do not think all turf racing will get the job done for them.This is like beating a dead horse but all their problems really started with the polytrack mandate.Mr california Doug O'neill has a string of horses at philly park.Thats all anyone needs to know about the poly!last year he sent a small string out here and did not win a race this year he has more horses and is doing very well.Where have all the horses gone?I really do not follow cal. closely at all not since the poly came in.I know Harty has shipped to other tracks,Baffert as well.What became of all the smaller stables?
i think what i neglected to say is that there are alot of people that don't like the pollytrack. but there are alot that love turf. they could put on the greatest turf meet in the country if they wanted to. the turf will actually add to the handle and they don't have to do anything special like dig up the track. the only problem they have is that even the guys that have turf horses don't like to train on that stuff. but they can train in places like pomona, and st.louis rey, or even los alamidos. i just offered a very simple sollution to their problem with the surface in that place. i also think they will get more people to go to the track as well. alot of guys that play turf love to look at feet and confirmation.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
lamboguy

one more thing i wanted to add, today is opening day at tampa, i have never seen so many happy people for a track to open. when i looked at the card i saw why, full fields and competetive raceing. 10 years ago people would have avoided that place like the plague. things do change.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
elksclub
Veteran

Hi Guy.

If you ran So.Cal. racing...there would be no So.Cal. racing!!

I mean ,really...come on.
elksclub is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elksclub
Hi Guy.

If you ran So.Cal. racing...there would be no So.Cal. racing!!

I mean ,really...come on.

Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
kitts

He could not do any worse than those now in charge

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
elksclub
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire

=:>
Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
i hate to tell you this, i almost went to work at santa anita when ABE GOSMAN bought the pear shared reit inthe early 90's. i got a feeling if i was there you would not have 5 horse fields on a saturday.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Elksie, i'd rather have lambo in charge than what we currently have. At least he would make some kind of effort to change things for the better. Currently, there's zero effort to change, lambo would have effort and that would be a welcome change.

I'd be able to PM him and tell him to get rid of the pot smokers at Hollywood and Santa Anita and he would do it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
elksclub
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Elksie, i'd rather have lambo in charge than what we currently have. At least he would make some kind of effort to change things for the better. Currently, there's zero effort to change, lambo would have effort and that would be a welcome change.

I'd be able to PM him and tell him to get rid of the pot smokers at Hollywood and Santa Anita and he would do it.

!!

I'm really only kidding around.

But at the same time...in any situation one perceives as ludicrous, there always is a reason..and so, it may seem so easy to plug yourself into it and make one big swooping change very quickly.

Normally,it just don't work that way.

Maybe I wasn't kidding.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
elksclub
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts
He could not do any worse than those now in charge

And you know this....how?

Only a thought......don't answer.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
And you know this....how?

Only a thought......don't answer.
Because its at rock bottom now, only way to go is up.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
elksclub
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Because its at rock bottom now, only way to go is up.
I should have said no one should answer.

Phooey.

Anyhoo..rock bottom is no racing at all;out of the biz.So, yes....someone has room to really muck it up.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
I should have said no one should answer.

Phooey.

Anyhoo..rock bottom is no racing at all;out of the biz.So, yes....someone has room to really muck it up.

Free means free elksie!