Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-25-2024, 06:16 AM   #16
Cutter14

HA

If you think Ohtani is innocent and not involved then I have a bridge ready for sale in Brooklyn
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 07:18 AM   #17
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Roger Clemens is another one.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 07:41 AM   #18
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Not singled out because there are others.

McGwire for one.

[edit]
Sosa as well.
Are there others?
Actually Andy Petitte was nabbed...

but somehow got off because he said it was curing an injury

But Bonds was the main target because of breaking the HR record...
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 05:01 PM   #19
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
Actually Andy Petitte was nabbed...

but somehow got off because he said it was curing an injury

But Bonds was the main target because of breaking the HR record...

How was he passing drug tests? His steroid use was so obvious Ray Charles noticed. As soon as he retired he shrunk at lightning speed back to his size in his early years.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 07:16 PM   #20
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
How was he passing drug tests? His steroid use was so obvious Ray Charles noticed. As soon as he retired he shrunk at lightning speed back to his size in his early years.
They had other stuff to fool the testing

but was eventually figured out later on....

Plus baseball loved it , the BONDS-McGuire-SOSA fight was talk of sports...

Now its football and nothing else....

Last edited by Saratoga; 03-25-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 PM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
They had other stuff to fool the testing

but was eventually figured out later on....

Plus baseball loved it , the BONDS-McGuire-SOSA fight was talk of sports...

Now its football and nothing else....

I kid thee not, I used to go to a SF 49er fan website that also was full of SF Giant baseball fans. Many actually believed Bonds was clean since he never failed a drug test. I have known two admitted steroid users, one who denied it while he was using but admitted after he quit. The other an ex employee who told me after the fact who was using in High School trying to get a college scholarship as a tight end, but was passed over and stopped using.

Ill gotten muscular gains happen quickly and vanish quickly,the damn eye test should be good enough for anyone who was around juicers. I played football through college and bounced between boxing gyms, power lifting gyms, and family fitness centers. You can spot the juicers a mile away. The funny thing is the ones who claim advancement in nutritional supplements is the reason for the Barry Bonds types. If you look at all the supplements today they are just a varied mixture of the same things I bought in health food stores in the late 70's early 80's.

The biggest legal advancement is in surgeries to repair damage. And the illegal ones are the dopers staying ahead of the testers.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:10 AM   #22
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
By Nelson Rose
Baseball’s Betting Scandal: Is Shohei Ohtani in Jeopardy:
https://www.gamblingandthelaw.com/ba...i-in-jeopardy/

Quote:
Every lawyer should carry a parrot trained to say two words.

Especially criminal defense attorneys.

That way at their first meeting, the lawyer can put the parrot on the new client’s shoulder to repeat over and over again, “Don’t talk! Don’t talk!”

If you have been involved with illegal gambling, you don’t talk to anybody. Not your spouse. Not a guy in a bar. And you certainly don’t give an on-the-record interview with ESPN.

This is especially true for illegal sports betting; the one form of gambling which is clearly covered by federal law.

Shohei Ohtani, the world’s most famous and highest paid baseball player, has now been implicated by his friend and former interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, who clearly needed to be given a trained parrot.

As always happens in cases like this, the stories keep changing.

The feds busted an illegal bookie in California and discovered money wires totaling $4.5 million from Ohtani. The parrot-less Mizuhara told ESPN that Ohtani was merely paying off his friend’s gambling debts.

Mizuhara may not have a parrot, or a competent lawyer, but Ohtani has. The LA Dodger superstar’s spokesmen and lawyers quickly said it was not true. Mizuhara stole the $4.5 million from Ohtani. And Mizuhara recanted, even before he was fired.

I am getting inquiries from the largest news outlets in the world, especially in the U.S. and Japan. And no one cares whether the bets were made on baseball. Reporters want to know if Ohtani might be guilty of violating any criminal laws.

The answer is, “Yes,” depending on the facts.

Interesting piece from Nelson Rose.

He usually has a pretty good take on the law as relates to sports betting.

-jp
Old 03-27-2024, 12:27 AM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

MLB has a real dilemma on its hands. If I still cared about baseball, I might be more interested.

I think everyone involved is going to do whatever it takes to try and make this go away as quickly as possible.

His pal the interpreter will absolutely fall on the sword and will likely also be the recipient of substantial "deferred payments" for doing so...just like his best friend on the Dodgers...LMAO
Old 03-27-2024, 02:46 PM   #24
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
MLB has a real dilemma on its hands. If I still cared about baseball, I might be more interested.

I think everyone involved is going to do whatever it takes to try and make this go away as quickly as possible.

His pal the interpreter will absolutely fall on the sword and will likely also be the recipient of substantial "deferred payments" for doing so...just like his best friend on the Dodgers...LMAO
It is quite interesting how after a 90-minute interview with ESPN, the interpreter recanted everything. Also, how does a person, even a super wealthy person, not notice that $4.5 million is gone from his bank account. How does he not know or get informed about multiple $500k transfers? How was MLB so far behind the story that they took 2-days to say anything? There are a lot of things that don't add up here.

Normally I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but this one joins Eptstein as a real possibility.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:10 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
It is quite interesting how after a 90-minute interview with ESPN, the interpreter recanted everything. Also, how does a person, even a super wealthy person, not notice that $4.5 million is gone from his bank account. How does he not know or get informed about multiple $500k transfers? How was MLB so far behind the story that they took 2-days to say anything? There are a lot of things that don't add up here.

Normally I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but this one joins Eptstein as a real possibility.

Wasn't a lot of Ohtani's money deferred? It isn't like he got a huge signing bonus and has $50 million in cash in his spare bedroom, right?
Old 03-28-2024, 12:56 AM   #26
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Wasn't a lot of Ohtani's money deferred? It isn't like he got a huge signing bonus and has $50 million in cash in his spare bedroom, right?
I'm not sure what you are saying. I was wondering why someone wouldn't notice $4.5 million missing from his bank account, but you're talking about him not having a much larger sum of cash in his home? Sorry, but I may need you to clarify. As for Ohtani's wealth, his new contract with LA is mostly deferred, but he has made plenty of money on the field so far while playing in the U.S., and before that when he played in Japan. Also, as one of the biggest stars in the game anywhere, but especially Asia, he has probably made more money off the field than on it, which makes it easier to accept deferred money.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:32 AM   #27
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
BART Giamati did not like Rose at all. That was well known.
Giamatti was a man of integrity long before that ceased to mean anything.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:17 PM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying. I was wondering why someone wouldn't notice $4.5 million missing from his bank account, but you're talking about him not having a much larger sum of cash in his home? Sorry, but I may need you to clarify. As for Ohtani's wealth, his new contract with LA is mostly deferred, but he has made plenty of money on the field so far while playing in the U.S., and before that when he played in Japan. Also, as one of the biggest stars in the game anywhere, but especially Asia, he has probably made more money off the field than on it, which makes it easier to accept deferred money.

No excuse, I should have known better. I am not the baseball fan I used to be in my younger years, I usually don't follow very close till play-offs. I probably listen to more of the local AA team on the radio than watching MLB games on TV. I thought Oshanti was a lot younger than he was, that is where I should have known better as in back in the day I worked with a lot of Asians, they don't seem to start aging as adults until they pass 40. I had no idea of his past history I thought he was just a phenom in the last couple years. I thought he was like 22 or so from looking at him, not 29, I just looked him up.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:37 AM   #29
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I saw this in a meme stream this morning:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1341-768x891.jpg (105.1 KB, 14 views)
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply