Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
SG4

potty break

So I know this is a subject that can go south quickly, but I have a legit question - has anyone ever seen a horse need to pee anywhere from the paddock until the gate? I honestly think today is the first time I have ever seen that happen after decades of watching races, and I always wondered why all the #2's without a 1? I would think horses would be well hydrated before running & this would be common, but I also imagine all the lasix plays a big part in this, but still never see it happen overseas. Either way, the horse in question ran a pretty good 2nd today, so not a detrimental move at the moment. Just wondering if anyone has scientific reasoning behind this rarity?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Water is withheld from horses prior to a race.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
So I know this is a subject that can go south quickly, but I have a legit question - has anyone ever seen a horse need to pee anywhere from the paddock until the gate? I honestly think today is the first time I have ever seen that happen after decades of watching races, and I always wondered why all the #2's without a 1? I would think horses would be well hydrated before running & this would be common, but I also imagine all the lasix plays a big part in this, but still never see it happen overseas. Either way, the horse in question ran a pretty good 2nd today, so not a detrimental move at the moment. Just wondering if anyone has scientific reasoning behind this rarity?
It's extremely rare. PA is correct that water is withheld before the races. Plus most horses get Lasix 4 hours before post time. It's a diuretic which can cause some dehydration. Would never want to see one pee that's on lasix.

As for poop. That's a different story. If you watch closely you'll will see ALOT of pooping in the post parade and even more so just before they load and as they're walking into the gate. That's a function of nerves. Race horses know when it's a race day from about 5:00am on. Many will begin to fret. Others can get overly excited.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Race horses know when it's a race day from about 5:00am on. Many will begin to fret. Others can get overly excited.
It's interesting that they can sense something subtly different about the preparation in the morning and get a little stressed before they are even on the track with other horses and see the gate.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It's interesting that they can sense something subtly different about the preparation in the morning and get a little stressed before they are even on the track with other horses and see the gate.

Oh boy can they. Horsemen have been known to go to great lengths to keep it a secret.

But when that muzzle goes on and they see their hay rack being taken down they know it's game on.

I personally think it's why we see horses often run worse 2nd time out. As a first time starter it's all new to them. Yes you can school them but there's NOTHING like race day.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
SG4

Why is water withheld so severely on race day? I get the idea that you want to keep them light, but is this something that is still done just cause everyone has always done it for a hundred years & nobody asks twice? I can only speak to results from my human athletics, but I'd think being well hydrated would be beneficial to performance & recovery for equines as well.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Why is water withheld so severely on race day? I get the idea that you want to keep them light, but is this something that is still done just cause everyone has always done it for a hundred years & nobody asks twice? I can only speak to results from my human athletics, but I'd think being well hydrated would be beneficial to performance & recovery for equines as well.
Probably for the same reason they advise you to be well hydrated when you're giving blood or getting your blood drawn. Our being "liquified" allows that to be done more easily.

For a horse, Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage (EIPH) - comes from all the capillaries near the surface in the horse's respiratory system (as I understand it). The more you hydrate the horse, the fuller those capillaries are and the greater some of them will potentially be stressed to the point of bursting while the horse is running.

They definitely make sure they get hydrated as they are cooling out after work/race.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 01-02-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Closed an open parenthesis
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Probably for the same reason they advise you to be well hydrated when you're giving blood or getting your blood drawn. Our being "liquified" allows that to be done more easily.

For a horse, Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage (EIPH) - comes from all the capillaries near the surface in the horse's respiratory system (as I understand it). The more you hydrate the horse, the fuller those capillaries are and the greater some of them will potentially be stressed to the point of bursting while the horse is running.

They definitely make sure they get hydrated as they are cooling out after work/race.
VERY SHARP POST
Old 01-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #9
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post

Very interesting, thanks for the explanation

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: