Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
.....I speak for me here...and you speak for you.

I don't recall speaking for you.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #17
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You can't overlook (and even cultivate) the hostility in one part of your site...while endeavoring to maintain civility on the rest of the board. You either want your guests to be CIVIL here...or you DON'T. This "distinction" between "on-topic" and "off-topic" exists only in your MIND...because this is still the same website. And this notion that "we all cry about what a dump this place is" exists only in your mind as well. NONE of us have ever called this place a "dump".
This is SO TRUE...good points by Thaskalos....
Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #18
newtothegame

For whatever its worth, here are my two cents...(and not even sure its pure copper) lol
There is a HUGE difference between the horse racing side and the off topic side. Mostly the difference occurs in peoples passion about topics as the off topic side affects us much more then the horse racing side. Last years derby winner has NO impact on me, my family, or my life. However, most of the topics that are brought up in off topic do! Therefore, that side of the forum will have much more passion involved. That passion sometimes degrades into people being not so "nice".
However, I would suggest that terms like "nice" and 'mean", "ugly" whatever you wish to use are subjective. It is up to the moderators to determine what is appropriate and not appropriate. I would live by whatever they decide as long as it is even handed. I would also suggest a warning before removing a persons right to post along with the "offensive" term or terms used.
I personally love off topic as it truly gives a good representation of what makes this country great. Difference of opinions and varying backgrounds.
At one point or another, I am sure I have disagreed with EVERYONE. I usually allow my verbage or wording to follow what was thrown at me. Call me an idiot and ill call you one right back! I can keep it above water or as far in the mud as anyone wishes to take it.
I say let off topic be off topic and let racing be racing...they are totally separate in my mind!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
onefast99

I have to ask the million dollar question, What brought you over to PA in the first place? Was it the information you could obtain from reading the racing forum combined with sharing your ideas and thoughts on anything and everything related to horse racing or was it the ability to say anything you want in the off topic forum where mud slinging is a daily event? I prefer the racing side!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #20
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

If this were my site I'd get rid of the off topic forums entirely except the poker and computer forums.

I know my biggest regret here was venturing into off topic forums. I was a member for about six months before I did.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #21
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I guess I'm snow blind then. I don't see off-topic as hostile as you see it. Strong differences of opinion, yes. And that should be encouraged.

Maybe I can interest you in becoming an off-topic moderator? cj doesn't like to go in there...
I'll just say from my experience, the off-topic threads can be rife with anger, hostility and name calling, and it comes from people on all points on the political continuum. I came to the realization that most of the conversation was not about a spirited intellectual debate on the issues. Most people weren't interested in doing more than reinforcing their position while making fun of the opposite side. The participation also felt overwhelmingly from one side.

My solution was to simply stop participating. It was hard at first but I'm really far better off (and perhaps the off topic threads are too) for limiting my participation to the horseracing side only.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #22
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
If this were my site I'd get rid of the off topic forums entirely except the poker and computer forums.

I know my biggest regret here was venturing into off topic forums. I was a member for about six months before I did.
Serious question......
Why get rid of something that you don't even participate in?
That's the great thing about each and every individual thread. Everyone has a CHOICE as to whether they wish to participate. You choose not to and that's awesome for you. But why limit it to those of us who do?
Isnt that a form of censorship?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Very early on here, I got into it with Whitehos and PA.

We ended up apologizing and having posts deleted.
The skeleton of the thread.....

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #24
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post

Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap. Although I have made a few comments pointing out how futile and ridiculous it is. People really believe all that crap makes difference? That's just hilarious. Like any of that really matters. Its more important that I hit a few races then pay attention to that nonsense any day. You have Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the two parties in that order.........give me a break, passionate over which side bends you over....that's a hoot........I hate to burst the bubble.......there is no difference ....figure it out

Last edited by burnsy; 04-26-2017 at 07:58 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

If the game was thriving, this and many other threads wouldn't even exist.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap
So who is making go to OT?
I'll tell you who - YOU.
You have not got will power to stay away. You waste your time because you do not self control to stay away. IF you stay on the racing site, it is exactly the site you want it to be.

But as PA aptly said, it is to you what YOU make to be.

No one is to blame for your life's failure but you.
The BS here is highlighted for you to read easily, so as not waste too much of your precious time.

HAND.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #27
thespaah

Quote:
I would just like to state something for the record. All those complaining about message boards or twitter or this website or whatever...BLAME YOURSELVES.

Don't blame me. This website, and everywhere else you go...it's made up OF ALL OF YOU.

If ALL OF YOU wanted to have quality conversations about upcoming races, or handicapping principles, or the state of affairs of the world (in off topic), it's UP TO YOU to start those kinds of threads, and contribute quality content to it.

It's up to ME to rid the board of people and comments that are not appropriate.

It's up to YOU to NOT RESPOND to bullshit and troll replies. Once you start RESPONDING, it blows up quickly...then when I show up, or another moderator shows up, I don't have just ONE troll comment or inappropriate post to delete, now I have all these REPLIES and BACK AND FORTH from the very people who are now going to COMPLAIN what a cesspool this place is...and BLAME ME for not being around 24/7 to delete every single thing that upsets them.

Here's a novel idea...LET SOME THINGS GO...ignore the BS, and it will get deleted within a few hours at best. And the repeat offenders will eventually be kicked off the island.

But don't go around blaming me for what ALL OF YOU decide to post here...ALL OF YOU make this place EXACTLY WHAT IT IS...good and bad alike.
"and BLAME ME for not being around 24/7 to delete every single thing that upsets them."
Ahh. The delicate flower thingy.....Yep there seems to be a particular type of personality that believes they have the right to NOT be exposed to things that make them uncomfortable.
The result goes one or two ways.
1. They tattle to the people in charge
2. Instead of dismissing or ignoring, they feel compelled to respond in an effort to shut up the offending individual. At that point the thread in question spirals downward, circling the bowl.
Invariably this type of person takes to complaining to others. Offering their low opinion of the message board. Irony....THEY themselves are part of the problem.....That's a head scratcher.
My policy is to ignore the troll, etc. In almost every instance, they eventually go away.....No cesspool. All is right with the world.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 01:18 AM   #28
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
I would just like to state something for the record. All those complaining about message boards or twitter or this website or whatever...BLAME YOURSELVES.

Don't blame me. This website, and everywhere else you go...it's made up OF ALL OF YOU.

If ALL OF YOU wanted to have quality conversations about upcoming races, or handicapping principles, or the state of affairs of the world (in off topic), it's UP TO YOU to start those kinds of threads, and contribute quality content to it.

It's up to ME to rid the board of people and comments that are not appropriate.

It's up to YOU to NOT RESPOND to bullshit and troll replies. Once you start RESPONDING, it blows up quickly...then when I show up, or another moderator shows up, I don't have just ONE troll comment or inappropriate post to delete, now I have all these REPLIES and BACK AND FORTH from the very people who are now going to COMPLAIN what a cesspool this place is...and BLAME ME for not being around 24/7 to delete every single thing that upsets them.

Here's a novel idea...LET SOME THINGS GO...ignore the BS, and it will get deleted within a few hours at best. And the repeat offenders will eventually be kicked off the island.

But don't go around blaming me for what ALL OF YOU decide to post here...ALL OF YOU make this place EXACTLY WHAT IT IS...good and bad alike.
Simply stated, you are frustrated about the tone of the discourse that you have been seeing lately. I understand that. Your message begs a response, and I am going to keep mine simple. I understand where you are coming from and will do my best to contribute in a positive manner, or possibly just not contribute at all and be a lurker. The one thing that I would ask of you is that you consider what Thaskalos and others have said regarding OT. I am not advocating removing it as it seems at least, if not more, popular than the horseracing part of Pace Advantage. I do think that the tone of OT does spill over into the racing section even if political talk is not allowed. I understand that you do not necessarily agree with this. My recommended solution would be to moderate the entire site; OT and racing in the same, fair (you are nothing if not fair), as close to consistent manner possible.

The Triple Crown is coming next week. We should all try to use it as a starting point to excellent racing discussion and embrace the enjoyable events that the sport has to offer.

Good night.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap. Although I have made a few comments pointing out how futile and ridiculous it is. People really believe all that crap makes difference? That's just hilarious. Like any of that really matters. Its more important that I hit a few races then pay attention to that nonsense any day. You have Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the two parties in that order.........give me a break, passionate over which side bends you over....that's a hoot........I hate to burst the bubble.......there is no difference ....figure it out
Sharp post.

Amusing watching how "passionate" people are about ganging up on people that lean a different way politically and watching them think they're actually doing something other than reinforcing their own beliefs.

Different strokes I guess.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #30
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So who is making go to OT?
I'll tell you who - YOU.
You have not got will power to stay away. You waste your time because you do not self control to stay away. IF you stay on the racing site, it is exactly the site you want it to be.

But as PA aptly said, it is to you what YOU make to be.

No one is to blame for your life's failure but you.
The BS here is highlighted for you to read easily, so as not waste too much of your precious time.

HAND.
True, and for about 98% of the time I do stay away........as I said , I make a few comments just to point out how dumb that crap is. But I'll stick to my major premise. There are tons and tons of that political crap on here, you can watch that garbage 24/7 on TV and even choose which inaccurate "spin" you want. and even call it the "news" . But lets face reality, how many forums or coverage is there of horse racing? This should be a HORSE RACING FORUM, there are literally thousands of places to quibble over the other nonsense. I'm guessing there's more than one other person that agrees with me. If I want the "WWE" BS, I can find that every where.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply