Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
letswastemoney

How do liberals defend the forced hijab?

Every day, I read in my Facebook feed how Muslims are just like any of us. They support equality, freedom, etc. There is a lot I find wrong with this logic, but most notably the forced hijab is already a sign of oppression right off the bat.

In fact, there was a woman kicked off the Iranian national chess team for refusing to wear it.

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/irani...-wear-a-hijab/

"An 18-year-old chess grandmaster has been banned from Iran’s national team for refusing to wear the hijab, which has been a mandatory for women there since Shiite Islamists seized power in the once-secular nation in 1979."

Not only that, but any woman looking to compete in the world chess championship this year, held in Iran of all places, must wear the hijab.

"The world chess championship is set to take place in Iran in 2017, and competing women are not merely encouraged to don the headscarf to compete at the event—they are forced to do so. Women with their hair on display face fines and even arrest for appearing in public."

Granted, the quote comes from a biased website, but I've already read of other chess players refusing to travel because of this very issue. The forced headwear is wrong. It can't be compared to nuns because they are a select group of women who choose to put on that clothing. Christians don't have to wear that.

While there are a few exceptions, my understanding is that every Muslim woman must wear the headwear.

Last edited by letswastemoney; 02-24-2017 at 04:11 PM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

They don't defend it...they ignore it
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Maybe we can get a cute FanDan cartoon to defend it.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
woodtoo

World Hijab Day Feb.1 celebrated in 140 mostly Muslim counties asking woman of all
religions and background to submit to the Islamic pedophile Allah.

Endorsed by Democrat Congresswoman Roxanne Persaud.
NYS Assemblyman David Weprin

Last edited by woodtoo; 02-24-2017 at 04:45 PM.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Maybe we can get a cute FanDan cartoon to defend it.
That's an easy defense. Permit me, please. Start: Only hateful religious and racist bigots would question the hijab in the first place. Stop!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Every day, I read in my Facebook feed how Muslims are just like any of us. They support equality, freedom, etc. There is a lot I find wrong with this logic, but most notably the forced hijab is already a sign of oppression right off the bat.

In fact, there was a woman kicked off the Iranian national chess team for refusing to wear it.

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/irani...-wear-a-hijab/

"An 18-year-old chess grandmaster has been banned from Iran’s national team for refusing to wear the hijab, which has been a mandatory for women there since Shiite Islamists seized power in the once-secular nation in 1979."

Not only that, but any woman looking to compete in the world chess championship this year, held in Iran of all places, must wear the hijab.

"The world chess championship is set to take place in Iran in 2017, and competing women are not merely encouraged to don the headscarf to compete at the event—they are forced to do so. Women with their hair on display face fines and even arrest for appearing in public."

Granted, the quote comes from a biased website, but I've already read of other chess players refusing to travel because of this very issue. The forced headwear is wrong. It can't be compared to nuns because they are a select group of women who choose to put on that clothing. Christians don't have to wear that.

While there are a few exceptions, my understanding is that every Muslim woman must wear the headwear.
It's an interesting conundrum.

First, the World Chess Federation (or whichever is the governing body) could say that the order should be rescinded or the tournament will move to a different venue. It's their tournament and their responsibility to find a proper venue.

It is a repressive regime. However, until the people rise up against the repression they should expect such requirements to be imposed upon them. Pretty clear none of us would want to live there.

They are clearly not Western, but we should apply the same standard we would apply in America. We have customs and laws, and if you come here you are expected to obey customs and laws. To us, requiring women to wear a hijab is arbitrary and oppressive, but as foreign as it sounds to us, it's their country. If that's the way they want to run it, we can protest or we can boycott or we can point out it's a crappy way to treat your guests, but at the end of the day we can't do a lot more than that.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Liberals are ok with racism, discrimination and oppression as long as the person doing it is not a white Christian male.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Fager Fan
Veteran

The story about the chess tournament is true. Another of recent is a conservative woman politician (from France, I think) refused a scheduled meeting with a Muslim cleric because they demanded she wear a head scarf.

It's good to be respectful of customs and traditions as long as there's nothing malicious about them. We finally started looking at the mistreatment of women in Muslim cultures. Thankfully. It is odd though that it's conservatives who are forcing us to look at this and liberals have ignored it. No, not odd actually. The fight liberals are fighting is against white Christians, this is why they ignore it. They're not the enemy, white Christians are. 911 gave rise to this fight within for some reason.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Liberals are ok with racism, discrimination and oppression as long as the person doing it is not a white Christian male.
You really aren't interested in having an intellectual discussion are you? As I mentioned, somehow you believe that by staining all liberals that is less offensive than using the pronoun "you" in your statement. Apparently you think dating a "liberal" makes you omniscient about liberals or some kind of conservative Good Samaritan, otherwise I can't imagine why you would make such a wrongheaded statement.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Who came up with "When in Rome, do as the Romans..".... Maybe when in Iran, do as the Iranians....

I'd like to have a discussion about religious garments in general...
I tried going to synagogue one day and they say that I must wear a kippa (small round hat on my head out of respect.....really.....god wants me to wear a funny little round lace hat....? Out of respect for Him...? Or respect for the Law in his books that maybe says that my head shall be covered...What is THAT all about....so if Jews are required to wear little funny hats, why on earth is it so terrible that women are required to wear head scarfs.....it is for the same reason, right...? Respect for god, right....go tell Jews to not wear their hats and see how far you get with that one....
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
You really aren't interested in having an intellectual discussion are you? As I mentioned, somehow you believe that by staining all liberals that is less offensive than using the pronoun "you" in your statement. Apparently you think dating a "liberal" makes you omniscient about liberals or some kind of conservative Good Samaritan, otherwise I can't imagine why you would make such a wrongheaded statement.
Get over it. Most libs are very predictable. Look at you. Everyone here has had you figured out for some time now.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
How do liberals defend the forced hijab?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
the Islamic pedophile Allah.
Quote:
Does anyone but me see a theme here?
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #13
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
Does anyone but me see a theme here?
Stunningly, I believe the conclusion is that it is possible to blame liberals for all problems, even those caused by the Ayatollah in Iran.

Plus, it can be assumed that liberals are not only in favor of woman having to wear a hajib. but they can't understand why everyone in every country isn't in favor of women wearing the hajib.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
MikeH

Quote:
+1
Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #15
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Stunningly, I believe the conclusion is that it is possible to blame liberals for all problems, even those caused by the Ayatollah in Iran.

Plus, it can be assumed that liberals are not only in favor of woman having to wear a hajib. but they can't understand why everyone in every country isn't in favor of women wearing the hajib.

What is the hajib suppose to do? I mean if a woman did not wear one, what would happen...? I mean outside of human intervention....The ones that really stir my imagination are the all black with narrow slits over the eyes only....Yet in a Theocracy, it does make some sense that religious garments would be in fashion....sort of like nuns here in the west, covered head to toe...it is like the world is just so profane, nasty and dirty.....do nuns dress like that because they think god wants them to...

I know the garments make the man....and sets him off as a minister of god...but what does the hajib really do for a woman...protect her from men...? Or just set her apart as something holy...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply