Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
andtheyreoff

United Nations Stakes

Despite the purse cut, the race still drew an interesting field of ten. It'll be Sunday's ninth race at Monmouth, going off at 4:52 PM EDT. Here's my thoughts.

Can'thelpbelieving: He's been second or third in each of his last four, most recently running third in the Man O' War Stakes at Belmont. Joe Bravo's quietly been having a renaissance meet, hitting at 26% so far, and as such this one can't be discounted.

Cement Clement: Won an allowance race over this track in his last grass race. He's taking a big step up in class, and is almost certain to be on the lead.

Wake Forest: The likely favorite. He won the Man O' War at this 1 3/8 mile distance last out, and missed by a head in the Pan American two races ago while going 1 1/2 miles. He's a bit rusty compared to some of the others in here; he hasn't raced in seven weeks. One to respect, but he is vulnerable.

World Approval: Third in the Manhattan Stakes last out, second in the Woodford Turf Classic two races ago. His most recent BRIS figures are the best in the field, and he picks up the excellent grass riding of Florent Geroux. He's my play.

Mr. Maybe: The "other" Chad Brown horse in the race, behind Wake Forest. He won the Red Smith Handicap impressively last fall at Aqueduct, but has only been seen once since then, finishing a non-threatening third as the favorite in the Mac Diarmada Stakes. He may be up against it off the layoff.

Triple Threat: Was a non-threatening seventh after a slow break in the Manhattan. His recent BRIS figures put him in the upper echelon of runners in here, and may wind up being overlooked in the wagering. May be a good value play.

Noble Road: Was sixth against allowance horses last out at Pimlico at 33/1. May be in over his head.

Money Multiplier: The "other other" Chad Brown entrant was second in the Man O' War behind Wake Forest, and won an allowance by a neck in the start before that. He improved sharply in the Man O' War, and gets Javier Castellano riding for the first time all year. Worth noting that Irad Ortiz rode Money Multiplier last out, and Castellano had Mr. Maybe in his last race. The two riders switch assignments here.

Bigger Picture: Comes off two allowance wins in a row, the last one going 1 1/4 miles in gate-to-wire style. He'll hope to catch a slow pace here, just like last time.

Riviere Du Loup: Won an allowance last out here at Monmouth going away. He was third in his last try against stakes company at Gulfstream, and this will be his first foray into graded stakes.

PPs: http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1397088
Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
MonmouthParkJoe

You gonna be in the same spot tomorrow? I might be making an appearance again.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
You gonna be in the same spot tomorrow? I might be making an appearance again.
I will be there. Looks like a great weather day tomorrow.