Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #181
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
attendance was 21k yesterday with 1.3m bet
They always do big business on July 3rd. I assume the special 4 PM post time has a lot to do with it. So why don't they try it more often?

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #182
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
They always do big business on July 3rd. I assume the special 4 PM post time has a lot to do with it. So why don't they try it more often?
I would assume it is the fireworks show afterward more than the racing itself. Probably get a fair number of once a year bettors for that day.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #183
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Why not do a 4 pm post with fireworks afterwards more often?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #184
chadk66

i'm sure both helped a bunch
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #185
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
i'm sure both helped a bunch
The 4 pm start was only for the fireworks. The crowd was all for the fireworks. 21K with 1.3 million bet total. On track was 464k. That's a little more than $20 a person. I love this track and do play it as I find it very formful, but let's be real about what is happening here. They lowered the take considerably. Everyone cheered, and then they just kept betting at the same places they always did. 2 months in and this track is losing money still. They did what we keep clamoring for and they are losing money. If people don't start taking interest in this track, this experiment will fail and it will be that much harder to have anyone lower take in the future. Sorry if no one wants to hear this but it is what is happening.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #186
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I normally dont play CBY that often but I wagered about 7500 here in June. Its important to support something like this. You are 100% right OTMAL
Old 07-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #187
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
I would assume it is the fireworks show afterward more than the racing itself. Probably get a fair number of once a year bettors for that day.
No, that's not my point. They get a huge amount of out-of-state handle on these days. Much more than a typical Sunday.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #188
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
No, that's not my point. They get a huge amount of out-of-state handle on these days. Much more than a typical Sunday.
800K off track. Guess it's huge for them so maybe the 4pm (CT) start helps with that though clearly not the intent. Of course Churchill, "the great enemy", was up 3.8% during much the same period and averaged over 10 million a day, though that is skewed greatly by Oaks/Derby weekend. Still, bet they did way better than 1.3 million every day of their meet.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #189
castaway01

Al speaks the truth here.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #190
chadk66

Quote:
The 4 pm start was only for the fireworks. The crowd was all for the fireworks. 21K with 1.3 million bet total. On track was 464k. That's a little more than $20 a person. I love this track and do play it as I find it very formful, but let's be real about what is happening here. They lowered the take considerably. Everyone cheered, and then they just kept betting at the same places they always did. 2 months in and this track is losing money still. They did what we keep clamoring for and they are losing money. If people don't start taking interest in this track, this experiment will fail and it will be that much harder to have anyone lower take in the future. Sorry if no one wants to hear this but it is what is happening.
yes I agree with all that but some of those 21k will turn into regulars. You can go anywhere for fireworks
Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #191
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Fireworks at the track...now there's a boneheaded concept if there ever was one...

Nothing like huge booms to keep already easily spooked animals tranquil in their tiny stalls...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #192
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
yes I agree with all that but some of those 21k will turn into regulars. You can go anywhere for fireworks
They have a lot of people that are regulars there. It is a fun place to go. There ain't a whole lot else around there. But most of them don't spend on betting. Here's some comments from people on Tripadvisor from 2013 if you want a feel for what the general audience is that goes to this track

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Minnesota.html

I love the one that thinks the food is pricey.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #193
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Fireworks at the track...now there's a boneheaded concept if there ever was one...

Nothing like huge booms to keep already easily spooked animals tranquil in their tiny stalls...
Plus, it's not like there's any flammable material at racetracks or that they ever catch fire or something....
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #194
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

That skipped my mind....Great point!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #195
chadk66

Quote:
They have a lot of people that are regulars there. It is a fun place to go. There ain't a whole lot else around there. But most of them don't spend on betting. Here's some comments from people on Tripadvisor from 2013 if you want a feel for what the general audience is that goes to this track

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Minnesota.html

I love the one that thinks the food is pricey.
I know all about it I spent eight years there training horses