Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #286
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

They should eliminate the 3pt shot altogether and we can get back to real basketball.
Never gonna happen though
Old 05-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #287
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
They should eliminate the 3pt shot altogether and we can get back to real basketball.
Never gonna happen though
I don't want it eliminated. The players are just so skilled at shooting today that it needs to be made more difficult.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #288
lansdale

NBA Finals

Surprising 180 in WCF, which turned into an epic battle. Although mostly chilling on the NBA for a week, I did watch G.6 in sports bar (bedlam) with friends -- very well-played game with historic shooting by KT and at least non-life-threatening officiating. Props to OKC for a very hard-fought series -- BD coaching above and beyond what I expected.

Always hate to be on the favorite, but don't see how Cavs have much of a chance vs. GSW -- they're overmatched at every position except SF. After having to deal with the much tougher OKC defensive back-court, the Splash Brothers could easily be dropping 75 ppg on Cav guards. GSW in 6.

-210 series/-5.5 Game 1 seem like huge overlays in this context. After post-season series', OKC now looks better than Cavs, and they were in the -7 range as a road team.

210 o/u also looks very low for these two high-scoring teams. Shouldn't this be higher than the OKC series which was ca. 220 in most games? Not my strong point - maybe Valuist can weigh in.

I'll actually be trying to watch these games unless the zebras go FUBAR again.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #289
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
Surprising 180 in WCF, which turned into an epic battle. Although mostly chilling on the NBA for a week, I did watch G.6 in sports bar (bedlam) with friends -- very well-played game with historic shooting by KT and at least non-life-threatening officiating. Props to OKC for a very hard-fought series -- BD coaching above and beyond what I expected.

Always hate to be on the favorite, but don't see how Cavs have much of a chance vs. GSW -- they're overmatched at every position except SF. After having to deal with the much tougher OKC defensive back-court, the Splash Brothers could easily be dropping 75 ppg on Cav guards. GSW in 6.

-210 series/-5.5 Game 1 seem like huge overlays in this context. After post-season series', OKC now looks better than Cavs, and they were in the -7 range as a road team.

210 o/u also looks very low for these two high-scoring teams. Shouldn't this be higher than the OKC series which was ca. 220 in most games? Not my strong point - maybe Valuist can weigh in.

I'll actually be trying to watch these games unless the zebras go FUBAR again.

I agree 210 seems a bit low. As long as Irving and Love are on the court, that helps the offense for both teams. Neither can defend at all.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #290
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
Always hate to be on the favorite, but don't see how Cavs have much of a chance vs. GSW
Cavs sweep.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #291
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
Cavs sweep.
I see how you get your moniker "HIGHnote".
Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 PM   #292
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I see how you get your moniker "HIGHnote".

Yes. You probably had to have gotten high on something too many times in order to be a die-hard Cleveland sports fan since the days of Jim Brown.

Cavs in 4.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #293
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
Yes. You probably had to have gotten high on something too many times in order to be a die-hard Cleveland sports fan since the days of Jim Brown.

Cavs in 4.
My wife is from Cleveland so I understand. Sort of. But at least she's a realist.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #294
tophatmert

Quote:
I agree 210 seems a bit low. As long as Irving and Love are on the court, that helps the offense for both teams. Neither can defend at all.
Total going down -didn't se that happening.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #295
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert
Total going down -didn't se that happening.
The more I look at it, I can see it. Cleveland hasn't played in around a week. I could see them coming out rusty in the first half. But this applies to game 1 only.

I think 210 would be on the low side after game 1.

My only play on game 1 is Golden State -5 1/2.

Last edited by Valuist; 06-02-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #296
lansdale

Nate Silver

Interesting analysis of NBA Finals by Nate. Using Bayesian-style heuristics (similar to the process Pondman has described using in his handicapping) he indicates that the Warriors may be much heavier favorites than the current series price implies. Instead of an implied win probability of 68% (-210), adding these heuristics gives them a 95% wp (-1900). I think the latter number is closer to being right.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...yoffs-is-true/
Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #297
lansdale

Zach Lowe

Lowe's analysis of NBA Finals -- probable strategies for each team. Lue has stated that Cavs won't be going small to counter GSW small ball. If so, interesting to see what they decide to do. As Valuist has said, Love and Kyrie likely to be torched by the Warrior P&R.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...-what-saw-2015
Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #298
RXB

This review BS is just totally out of control in sports. Kills the flow of the action. A nothing situation turns into a five-minute review.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #299
highnote

Quote:
My wife is from Cleveland so I understand. Sort of. But at least she's a realist.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #300
highnote

Quote:
Like I said... Cleveland in 5... sweep the next 4.