Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #271
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Agreed the long 2 is the worst shot. Disagree on Battier, who not only was a great defender but one of the smartest players in the league.
Yeah but he was old and washed up by the time he was on the Heat. By that time he was a hard trying defender but either fouled or got scored on by then. I used to get so frustrated when van gundy would call him a good defender when he was getting worked. He tried hard but that was about it.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #272
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
But if your opponent is so worried about the 3 that they start leaving your guys wide open in the 20-22 foot range, then the long 2 is a good shot. Like everything it's a matter of when and where.
Usually when they're so worried about the 3 you get good 10 ft shots or dunks. 22 ft shot and the 3 is almost the same thing6with 1 fewer point.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #273
tophatmert

These guys(Curry and Thompson) seem to have the ball more than the great 3 point shooters of the past and are so adept at passing out of double teams and spots where they are well guarded. Curry reminds me of a great mobile QB, can't get to close to him ,can't be to far away.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #274
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Usually when they're so worried about the 3 you get good 10 ft shots or dunks. 22 ft shot and the 3 is almost the same thing6with 1 fewer point.
Contested 3 vs open long 2 is a different story. You move the ball to a guy who's wide open for a 20-footer, as long as that's in his range it's a fine shot. And it is there sometimes because defenders are slacking off guys in that range to protect the arc and the rim. Everything is in context. A long 2 with a hand right in your face is the worst shot in the game but an uncontested shot is a different story.

Plus, teams that live and die with the 3 tend to have less success in the playoffs than they do in the regular season.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #275
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Contested 3 vs open long 2 is a different story. You move the ball to a guy who's wide open for a 20-footer, as long as that's in his range it's a fine shot. And it is there sometimes because defenders are slacking off guys in that range to protect the arc and the rim. Everything is in context. A long 2 with a hand right in your face is the worst shot in the game but an uncontested shot is a different story.

Plus, teams that live and die with the 3 tend to have less success in the playoffs than they do in the regular season.
The team who's made the most 3s in the finals has won 6 in a row. 2009 was the last time that didn't happen. It really sunk in when miami won game 7 over the Spurs when LeBron made 5 3s and Battier 6. The league has changed in the last 5 years. That's why I hope OKC upsets GS tmrw.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #276
ronsmac

Speaking of basketball. I'm watching an episode of happy days and a black6guy is nervous about getting married. So of course he stereotypically has to shoot a basketball around to calm down. The only problem. He's the worst basketball player I've ever seen. They got the first sterotype right but the second one wrong. Lebron would not approve.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #277
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
The team who's made the most 3s in the finals has won 6 in a row. 2009 was the last time that didn't happen. It really sunk in when miami won game 7 over the Spurs when LeBron made 5 3s and Battier 6. The league has changed in the last 5 years. That's why I hope OKC upsets GS tmrw.
6 is a rather small sample size. And it's not surprising when the team that shoots better in a series is the winner.

GSW, the best 3 shooting team in history thanks to Curry and Thompson, outscored OKC from behind the arc by 54 points on Saturday-- yet barely pulled out the game. And the series is tied. There's a lot more to basketball than just threes.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #278
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
6 is a rather small sample size. And it's not surprising when the team that shoots better in a series is the winner.

GSW, the best 3 shooting team in history thanks to Curry and Thompson, outscored OKC from behind the arc by 54 points on Saturday-- yet barely pulled out the game. And the series is tied. There's a lot more to basketball than just threes.
There is, but if you shoot poorly from the 3 you're going to lose way more than you win. GS doesn't win 73 games if they didn't have the most 3s in nba history.

Last edited by ronsmac; 05-30-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #279
ronsmac

OKC let me down. Now we have to hit the road Thursday.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #280
RXB

What is it about the NBA that home teams just crush it in Game 7?

In the NHL road teams have won more than 40% of seventh games. In the NBA the road teams are less than 20%.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #281
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
What is it about the NBA that home teams just crush it in Game 7?

In the NHL road teams have won more than 40% of seventh games. In the NBA the road teams are less than 20%.
I'm not sure the percentages are much different for any playoff game, not just 7. Seems like home ice doesn't matter much in the NHL.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 AM   #282
Valuist

In the NHL, home teams were barely over .500 in the postseason this year.

I think the importance of the 3 pointer increases home court advantage a bit. Guys like to shoot against a familiar background. We see it in the NCAA when they play in football stadiums and the shooting suffers. I also think a home crowd is more energized for a game 7.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2016, 12:13 AM   #283
RXB

NBA overall playoffs over the long term, home teams win close to 65%. NHL playoffs it's under 60%.

NHL seventh games are almost identical to the overall home playoff win rate whereas in the NBA the home team jumps up by a huge amount.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 AM   #284
Valuist

NBA Finals lines are out:

to win series:
Golden State -230 Cleveland +190

Game 1:
Golden State 5 1/2 over Cleveland with a total of 210.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #285
ronsmac

Golden St made 90 3s against OKC. That's borderline ridiculous. I know it won't happen but I wish they'd move the 3 pt line back to 25 or 26 ft & eliminate the corner 3 altogether unless the court is widened.