Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #1
westernmassbob

Why is Churchill selling tickets for the Kentucky Derby?

The Derby is slated to run in 5 weeks and the corona is on the rise in Kentucky. Why bother selling tickets when it’s safe to say there will be no fans allowed in ? I mean IMO there should be fans let in but based on the direction of every racetrack out there it’s not going to happen. Refunds refunds please.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wat?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Wat?
Angkor Wat
Old 07-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #4
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
The Derby is slated to run in 5 weeks and the corona is on the rise in Kentucky. Why bother selling tickets when it’s safe to say there will be no fans allowed in ? I mean IMO there should be fans let in but based on the direction of every racetrack out there it’s not going to happen. Refunds refunds please.
Because as of now, you can go to the race.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
usfgeology

Those tickets will be worth less than my Oaks future bet on Lucrezia...
Old 07-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

They want some income to pay for this year's purses, etc.

The Cruise lines are still selling cruises for 2020, even though there's no chance in hell that they'll be sailing. Cost the industry millions of dollars per day to keep the ships afloat and ready.

I'm sure that Churchill will encourage customers to take a credit instead of a refund. They'll promise that they'll be first in line for 2021.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
jay68802

Already had tickets before they changed the date. When they changed the date I called and they happily gave me the same tickets for next year.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Churchill Downs Inc. has stopped selling general admission tickets to the Sept. 5 Kentucky Derby as the company hopes to keep the crowd to even fewer people than Gov. Andy Beshear and Kentucky public health officials would allow, CEO Bill Carstanjen said Thursday.

Carstanjen said the Sept. 4 Kentucky Oaks and Sept. 5 Derby will have “significantly fewer” spectators than normal, though he provided no numbers on Thursday, saying more details will be released “in the coming days and weeks.”
https://www.wdrb.com/derby_145/churc...3477f49a9.html
Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

The Kentucky Gov. just closed the bars this week. Will I be able to get a mint julep?
Old 07-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
burnsy
self medicated

I’m not buying another ticket to any venue til I’m sure this is over. Yeah, there’s refunds and the deal for “next year” but I wouldn’t of spent money for a “refund” or promise for the future. It’s just a let down in the end. The latest deal was my friends wanting to go in on our Bills season tickets. I told them , not a dime, just opt out.... it ain’t gonna happen and they’re letting us opt out cause ..... it probably ain’t gonna happen. One guy won’t just give up already. I’m tired of being disappointed
Old 07-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Jayhawk6191
Having Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
The latest deal was my friends wanting to go in on our Bills season tickets. I told them , not a dime, just opt out.
I’m tired of being disappointed
Like losing 4 straight Super Bowls disappointed or another kind?
Old 07-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #12
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk6191 View Post
Like losing 4 straight Super Bowls disappointed or another kind?
Worse, at least being one of the best teams is good. Getting to 4 in a row is a feat in itself but today they had 5 positives at training camp. Including a few players. This shit ain’t letting up . Hell , the way they’ve been I’d be happy with a division win. But I’m not planning on driving out there this year. Ain’t gonna happen

I’m already holding SPAC tickets, Peach Fest, Saratoga pass and a Saratoga parking pass. This year has pretty much shit the bed for events

Last edited by burnsy; 07-30-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
Tor Ekman

Just announced, no fans at the Derby
Old 08-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #14
MooseDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I’m not buying another ticket to any venue til I’m sure this is over.
Me too, burnsey. But it's unfortunately not going to be "over".

Going to hockey games is one of my great pleasures in life. I'm a 60+ season ticket holder though I am not one myself, come from a family of medical professionals. Like you, I'm not going to any events in the near future. It seems that teams are going to allow season ticket holders to opt out next season (if there is one) and not lose their seniority or seats, which is great. I will opt out.

Despite what some say, viruses don't just "go away".

COVID-19 is here to stay. Because of how this has been handled here in the US, there are only two reasonable outcomes...we continue the path we are on until we have some herd immunity, which will take years (and likely kill off a few million people in the process), or an effective vaccine is available. But even with a vaccine, it likely won't "wipe out the virus". Maybe, but I believe polio and smallpox are the only viruses that were effectively wiped out, and that was with mass immunization that won't be possible in today's world where some people won't get it for various reasons. Those people will continue to spread the virus and probably won't even know it.

COVID is a "Lucky 7" lottery ticket. If you get exposed:

1) You may be fine and never get symptoms. Might not never even know you were exposed.
2) You may get mild symptoms and recover quickly
3) You may get really sick for a few days and recover.
4) You may get really sick for a few weeks and recover.
5) You may get really sick and have symptoms linger for months.
6) You may get really sick and have permanent other health issues caused by the virus.
7) You may get really sick and die.

Those around here who play longshots will probably be fine taking their chances. "I'm going to live my life, if I get it, I get it." They may get it, never know they got it, and just spread it. That's what is happening in the US right now. Sturgis being the latest example.

On the other end of the scale those who are more conservative and look for higher % plays (like me) will probably become mostly housebound and really, really careful when going out.

The problem is those longshot players are going to be the ones that keep COVID from "going away".

The whole anti-mask think is ridiculous. Would you be OK if a doctor and the rest of his team doing open heart surgery on you didn't wear masks while performing the surgery? They wear the masks to protect you! Same applies when out in public.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
That's what is happening in the US right now. Sturgis being the latest example.
Sturgis? Was that another BLM protest that later devolved into looting/rioting...a place where tons of people gathered together, ignoring social distancing for the most part...with plenty of people not wearing masks?

Protests and gatherings ENCOURAGED by our Democrat politicians who otherwise treated as CRIMINALS anyone else who dared gather in the streets for any other purpose?

Events which immediately preceded (COINCIDENTALLY, of course...wink wink) the skyrocketing rise of new COVID-19(84) cases in the USA?

Is that what you mean by Sturgis?

'Cause if so, I understand.