Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
The dime super does not work well on BIG DAYS...too many casual fans do not know how to bet and use the machines...it is a nightmare waiting for the nice persons to carefully decide what to bet at the window, then hesitantly punch in 1 dollar's worth of dime supers one by one...it just doesn't work when there are lots of fans present...
That has been going on LONG before dime supers, or any supers for that matter.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #32
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That has been going on LONG before dime supers, or any supers for that matter.
There must be some truth to this because what then explains why the tracks choose to offer the dime super on non BIG DAYS yet omit on such days...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #33
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
There must be some truth to this because what then explains why the tracks choose to offer the dime super on non BIG DAYS yet omit on such days...?

I dont play supers at all, but knew about the derby having the $1 min. Does the Preakness and Belmont both have the same $1 base? Did a quick google search and saw the Belmont Stakes wagering menu from 2012 and saw that they had the 10 cent super. Super pool was $6.5 million. 2016 was $6.4 million but im not sure if it had the same base.

Only reason I can think of for increasing the base, aside from the long lines that is most often the reason stated, is the amount of casual fan money in the pools and the potential for a big score. The big score serves as its own marketing tool and when the casual fan hears it is only a buck to win big they jump in. That and the fact it might be the only time during the year that they play. With the field size in the TC races it is a chance to offer that wager with the $1 base and people jump at it. On a day to day basis with the smaller fields I cant see it working.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #34
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
I dont play supers at all, but knew about the derby having the $1 min. Does the Preakness and Belmont both have the same $1 base? Did a quick google search and saw the Belmont Stakes wagering menu from 2012 and saw that they had the 10 cent super. Super pool was $6.5 million. 2016 was $6.4 million but im not sure if it had the same base.

Only reason I can think of for increasing the base, aside from the long lines that is most often the reason stated, is the amount of casual fan money in the pools and the potential for a big score. The big score serves as its own marketing tool and when the casual fan hears it is only a buck to win big they jump in. That and the fact it might be the only time during the year that they play. With the field size in the TC races it is a chance to offer that wager with the $1 base and people jump at it. On a day to day basis with the smaller fields I cant see it working.
I do think for the casual KD day fan the idea of hitting a dime super that this year would have paid $7,597 (and I understand probably less because more dimes would have probably had it) would have been a score that they would have shared around the office and possibly driven some newbies to come out and give it a try.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #35
SoCalCircuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
They ran out of paper bags?
Message from EMD: Today, they did run out of paper bags.

Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1341.PNG (303.8 KB, 39 views)
SoCalCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #36
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCircuit View Post
Good.....Maybe he can afford an APOLOGY now for his last swell post he made. Yeah, that might be a lot harder than cashing a ticket...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #37
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Good.....Maybe he can afford an APOLOGY now for his last swell post he made. Yeah, that might be a lot harder than cashing a ticket...
Apology for WHAT?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #38
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Apology for WHAT?
You must not have seen the "beauty" of a post he left us all, you were mentioned in glowing terms as well. But it only lasted for 10 minutes, then vanished, permanently.....And so did EMD..

It's a mystery I tell ya...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #39
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I hope he can afford DirectTV. Wouldn't want him to miss any more races now that the NYRA channel is gone

Plus it can't be cheap paying off some of these guys to carry on his grudges. What's the going rate to be a weasel right now SoCal?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #40
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
A few ideas:

There have been supers at Santa Anita in 4 horse fields w dime min, please, for the love of God, alter the menu so that this doesn't happen, fields of 8 or less should have supers at 1 dollar. Check out super prices at Churchill for Fri n Sat they were great, including one that paid 88 grand which never would have paid 8800 for a dime if there was a dime break.

That is counter-intuitive thinking at its finest.

With more and more tracks offering pathetic and unplayable small fields, the supers need to be a dime so that anyone can offer such races the next-to-nothing that those races deserve, AND still be entertained.

Even a junky day at Great Falls is enhanced a great deal by dime supers, where what once was a battle of the 2 or 3 titans in each race, with each almost sure to trounce the outclassed lesser-thans, suddenly became a contest with nearly everybody in play for at least a tiny share of the mutuels.

Those cowboys who routinely made $20 bets on races which didn't deserve $4.80 could suddenly invest $2.40 and have their expectations reasonably represented, and perhaps even rewarded nicely IF they were precisely accurate.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2017, 12:46 AM   #41
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

what matters is total pool size...if it is shrinking AND it can be identified that it is the dime that is the culprit, then go to .20 like Woodbine or Hawthorne...or make the min. .50 cents
Old 05-14-2017, 01:24 AM   #42
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
I do think for the casual KD day fan the idea of hitting a dime super that this year would have paid $7,597 (and I understand probably less because more dimes would have probably had it) would have been a score that they would have shared around the office and possibly driven some newbies to come out and give it a try.
Super would have paid way less than 7500 if dime was offered.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2017, 01:40 AM   #43
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCircuit View Post
Good for EMD...And I didn't see his last post and don't know why he left...I'm happy he won the pick 6...
Old 05-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #44
castaway01

Quote:
what matters is total pool size...if it is shrinking AND it can be identified that it is the dime that is the culprit, then go to .20 like Woodbine or Hawthorne...or make the min. .50 cents
I know racetracks are often not run well, but do you really think all of these tracks are going to allowing dime wagers because they DECREASE pool size?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #45
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I know racetracks are often not run well, but do you really think all of these tracks are going to allowing dime wagers because they DECREASE pool size?
No, and that is my point...the dime most likely increases pool size and that is what the track wants...it doesn't matter to them what the minimums are as long as the pool sizes are somehow maximized (one would think, but if they really want THAT then they would lower the take, so go figure)....