Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
lyronva

On (or after) raceday, where to find pool $ and # of bets?

These are probably easy questions to answer and hopefully not too dumb.

I go to the track (Pimlico & Laurel Park) only a few times a year and I put down win, place & show bets as well as exactas here and there. All I'm asking is, for example: in a given race, where can I see up-to-date pool $ amounts and # of $2 bets for say, a place bet? Is it on a tote anywhere? If not, is it available in the DRF (which of course would only be up-to-date for press time)?

Secondly, after the fact, where could I go online to see these #s? Is there a universal source or does this tend to be track-specific?

Thanks -

B
lyronva is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyronva View Post

I go to the track (Pimlico & Laurel Park) only a few times a year and I put down win, place & show bets as well as exactas here and there. All I'm asking is, for example: in a given race, where can I see up-to-date pool $ amounts and # of $2 bets for say, a place bet? Is it on a tote anywhere? If not, is it available in the DRF (which of course would only be up-to-date for press time)?

Secondly, after the fact, where could I go online to see these #s? Is there a universal source or does this tend to be track-specific?

Thanks -

B
I think the full charts on equibase have it
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
whodoyoulike
Veteran

If I understand your question correctly, the only place I can think of is an ADW but, only as the race is completed. If you wait even for the next day that info is gone. At least on my ADW which is TVG. It may even be deleted shortly each race or shortly after the last race for all the previous races for that day.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyronva View Post

Thanks -

B
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...x.html?SAP=NBC

The Equibase historical charts database is free to use. Here is last years chart for the Preakness. Unfortunately the WPS pool total is combined so you cannot make the per bet calculations you need.

You can calculate for the individual exotic pools but not WPS because of the combined totals. I am not aware of any vendor charts that will provide separate totals for win, place and show pools. Separate pool totals with payoffs may be available from someone but idk.

If you had the payoffs and specific pool totals you could make the calculations to return what you are asking for. I don't have another idea on how to get that past info. A live tote display that returns percentage of pools may give you an opportunity to record the info for yourself before the race is official.

To make a per bet calculation use a pool total then subtract the % of track takeout then divide by the payoff. You will have the number of dollars per base wager amount. Not difficult calcs but much easier if you could find this work completed. Good luck.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

As stated by others, Equibase historical charts have the info, except that WPS amounts are lumped together, so no separate place and show pool info. Some years ago a friend of mine did a study, and came up with using the following rough estimates:

Win Pool --> 65% of total WPS pool.
Place Pool --> 25% of total WPS pool.
Show Pool --> 10% of total WPS pool.

I have no idea how relevant these percentages are today.

I know the ADW Xpressbet shows separately the current and final Win, Place, and Show pools for each US/Canadian track they offer on their wagering menu. Subject info stays up for the current day until the menu switches over to the next wagering day. (Not sure what specific time this is, but I suspect it is still there at 2 or 3 a.m. Eastern Time.).

About 6 weeks ago I decided to start capturing daily the individual place and show pool totals for all thoroughbred races at virtually all tracks in the US and Canada. I also capture the number of wagering entities in that race, as pool totals are typically higher with larger field sizes. This process is essentially a manual one requiring 1-3 hours of work each day. I had originally considered doing this for perhaps a year, but lately I am leaning towards stopping the data collection for a given track once I have info on X number of races. The end result is that at some future point in time, I'll have decent info on which to make pool dilution calculations for any future Place and Show wagers.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 12:50 AM   #6
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

HPI, the Canadian ADW, stores the win, place, and show pool totals for some time after race day. Just randomly looked, and they have the details for Will Rogers Downs still available from Mar 13 onward (maybe the start of their meet?)

Edit: these would be converted into Cdn $, so you would need to convert back to US $ at the exchange rate for that date if you wanted more exact info
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
As stated by others, Equibase historical charts have the info, except that WPS amounts are lumped together, so no separate place and show pool info. Some years ago a friend of mine did a study, and came up with using the following rough estimates:

Win Pool --> 65% of total WPS pool.
Place Pool --> 25% of total WPS pool.
Show Pool --> 10% of total WPS pool.

I have no idea how relevant these percentages are today.

I know the ADW Xpressbet shows separately the current and final Win, Place, and Show pools for each US/Canadian track they offer on their wagering menu. Subject info stays up for the current day until the menu switches over to the next wagering day. (Not sure what specific time this is, but I suspect it is still there at 2 or 3 a.m. Eastern Time.).
Those percentages are pretty spot on from all the data I looked at in 2016.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Welcome to Pace Advantage, Lyronva.There's a lot of people here who have forgotten more about horse racing than I'll ever know and most are willing to share their knowledge. As for dumb questions, if you don't know the answer, it's not a dumb question.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
As for dumb questions, if you don't know the answer, it's not a dumb question.
When the answer does not exist then the question is definitely dumb!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
When the answer does not exist then the question is definitely dumb!
C'mon - let's not dissuade newbies so quickly.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply