Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #61
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldacoulda View Post
I have always considered this forum the place for hard core horse players. I have no interest in the off topic sections because 60% of people are stupid. I'm glad I'm in the other 30% with all of you. I see many familiar names still active here. Good to see that. Wondering if Alcapper has perfected his program yet.
I just love how those who aren't in off topic, or those who complain about off topic use terms like "civility", "Tone", demeanor etc etc and then we get stuff like the above????

So if someone in off topic calls others stupid, they are uncivil and terrible.
Yet when someone from the racing side does it its civil and appropriate??
For lack of better cliché, I guess that's a horse of another color
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #62
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
If you have nothing to say, you better stay quiet!

As an example of the moderation that I believe is needed, the last five messages (any many more) in the thread should have been deleted:
Should we put out an Amber Alert on your sense of humor?

Since I got the ball rolling, the poster (Shouldacoulda) said 60% of people were stupid and he was glad he was in the other 30%.Two possibilities: 1)He meant it as a joke or 2) he hit the 3 key by mistake.Just having a little chuckle.Laughter's the best medicine, y'know.

I explained this to you because I can't be sure you understood my motivation.

Have a splendid evening.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #63
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
If you have nothing to say, you better stay quiet!

As an example of the moderation that I believe is needed, the last five messages (any many more) in the thread should have been deleted:

Hey, this is the internet!! If you or anyone else didn't appreciate the humor, I don't know what else to say to you.

Well, actually, I do.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #64
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic1 View Post
You're correct.

Lol.

I appreciated the laughs and would hate if some heavy-handed moderation wouldn't allow such.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #65
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I just love how those who aren't in off topic, or those who complain about off topic use terms like "civility", "Tone", demeanor etc etc and then we get stuff like the above????

Granted I have missed obvious attempts at humor in my years as a PA member; however, this was not only an attempt at humor but a direct hit. His comment was F-U-N-N-Y; at least it was to me.

Here is how the joke works. He said that 60 % of the people in OT are stupid. That sounds pretty bad, but then he adds that he is in the other 30%. So that adds up to 90 % which is why of saying that he is with the other 60 %. It is kind of like saying, "I used to not know how to spell [fill in the blank] but now I are one."

Read back through and you will see it. You are vigorously defending OT which is fine, but you are missing some subtleties in doing so.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #66
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:

I've seen you post before because I've read some of yours in OT. But, you've mentioned that you don't post in the horse racing side which I don't understand.

What brought you to this Horse Racing Forum?

At the beginning, I never even ventured into the OT threads and then one day I did and then some guy started in on me regarding one of my posts. I had never encountered his handle before (and he had 000's of posts) and I had already been here for several years.

I asked him this same question and never received an answer.

So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 04-27-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #67
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?
It could be they have two different handles on here...one for racing and one for off-topic. That's one explanation that doesn't seem totally out of line.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #68
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There is also "zero evidence" that anyone is beating the horseracing game long-term. Is "evidence" EVERYTHING?
Really? That's your response. Wouldn't it just be easier to point out some examples to back up your position?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #69
AndyC

Quote:
....So, why would you be interested in a horse racing forum to discuss only non-horse racing topics?
Initially it is the racing that is the hook. But frankly many of the racing discussions are boring because they tend to discuss the same issues over and over. But what I have found is that people in or into racing are not boring and they aren't one-dimensional. It is no accident that many like to congregate in the off-topic section.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #70
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Initially it is the racing that is the hook. But frankly many of the racing discussions are boring because they tend to discuss the same issues over and over. But what I have found is that people in or into racing are not boring and they aren't one-dimensional. It is no accident that many like to congregate in the off-topic section.
Good post!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #71
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It could be they have two different handles on here...one for racing and one for off-topic. That's one explanation that doesn't seem totally out of line.
This never occurred to me.

So, they can for some reason have a discussion with themselves (but you're saying one for racing and one for OT so not probable) and draw some unsuspecting person into their thread if they wanted which is misleading as hell IMO which seems way out of line to me.

I remember several members suspected one of doing just this with two other handles who continuously complemented each other and basically built themselves up. I never was certain that this is what was going on but it caused me to always be skeptical when interacting with any of them.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 04-28-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #72
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I realize most people in general are not one-dimensional but this person stated he doesn't discuss horses. So, my question is what brought him to this horse racing site.

To congregate and only stay in OT - general on this site really doesn't make sense to me which is the reason for my question.

If I only wanted to discuss politics or religion etc., I think I could find an exclusive site for it.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #73
shouldacoulda

Quote:

Sorry if I offended anybody. Was not my intention. Life is short. Never hurts to laugh. I have dabbled in the off topic area in the past. I just prefer to keep to the horse racing bits. It takes all kinds to make the world go around so whatever floats your boat...
Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #74
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I've seen you post before because I've read some of yours in OT. But, you've mentioned that you don't post in the horse racing side which I don't understand.

What brought you to this Horse Racing Forum?

At the beginning, I never even ventured into the OT threads and then one day I did and then some guy started in on me regarding one of my posts. I had never encountered his handle before (and he had 000's of posts) and I had already been here for several years.

I asked him this same question and never received an answer.

There are a lot of people who lurk only. I've never understood the lack of wanting to speak but accept that is what many people do.

Politics however can elicit such strong feelings that the person now finds their tongue and speaks.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #75
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
There are a lot of people who lurk only. I've never understood the lack of wanting to speak but accept that is what many people do.

Politics however can elicit such strong feelings that the person now finds their tongue and speaks.
When you post into a PA horse racing topic you had better have your hat on straight. Know a bit about what your are typing and who you are it typing to. It pays to lurk around a bit before starting to rack up the old post counter. Careful moderation here might help some new posters out. I'm not going to qualify this statement for a change. (oops, maybe I should) My comment is not meant as criticism.

OT is just as rough a playground here but everyone can wear their hat anyway they want to and take their chances. I don't think there are many specialty sites whether religious, financial, tech or entertainment that can match the unique demographics of the posters in PA Off Topic. Interesting and intelligent people seem to stick around on both sides with different levels of participation.

I like it, too much some days.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: