Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #31
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Totally agree, the off topic deal should not even be here. Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence. This should be a sports and handicapping site. Someone comes on here and says that crap influences their life more than horse racing? Speak for yourself buddy, go to some BS political blog and go back and forth with all the brain trusts on there. I value my time too much to listen or read that crap. Although I have made a few comments pointing out how futile and ridiculous it is. People really believe all that crap makes difference? That's just hilarious. Like any of that really matters. Its more important that I hit a few races then pay attention to that nonsense any day. You have Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the two parties in that order.........give me a break, passionate over which side bends you over....that's a hoot........I hate to burst the bubble.......there is no difference ....figure it out
You don't need to use "someone",,,I don't hide what I said, nor am I vague.
I said that off topic, is more passionate for some as those topics affect their lives more then horse racing. If racing affects your life more, then so be it. That's why there is a horse racing side.
I enjoy the off topic side much more as those topics affect MY life more then horse racing. Sorry if that offends you.
Then you go on to say " Its an absolute joke and a mockery of human intelligence". Now please tell us how that is any different then calling someone an "idiot" in off topic? Or is it that because you chose different nomenclature that you are somehow above the fray??
You don't have to read off topic...that's the great part!
I never said either party supports me. I have consistently said that both parties are the problem. Yet you tell me to speak for myself, yet now your putting words into my mouth....that is the hilarious part!!
Have fun in the racing section and may you have as many winners as possible.
Rock on sir!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
True, and for about 98% of the time I do stay away........as I said , I make a few comments just to point out how dumb that crap is. But I'll stick to my major premise. There are tons and tons of that political crap on here, you can watch that garbage 24/7 on TV and even choose which inaccurate "spin" you want. and even call it the "news" . But lets face reality, how many forums or coverage is there of horse racing? This should be a HORSE RACING FORUM, there are literally thousands of places to quibble over the other nonsense. I'm guessing there's more than one other person that agrees with me. If I want the "WWE" BS, I can find that every where.
Up top...that forum button, allows you to view (or not) whatever you like sir....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #33
Fager Fan
Veteran

I side with the crowd that says to not go there if it doesn't interest you. I've only visited 4 sections here. General racing, TC, handicapping, and general off topic. Some of those I don't visit currently (handicapping and off topic). Pick and choose what interests you. You shouldn't ask for forum to be removed because you don't like them. Others do.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #34
castaway01

Great post Burnsy.

Off topic is a joke and poisons the rest of the site.

I'll say it again for the special snowflakes who are typing "Don't read it then". IT POISONS THE REST OF THE SITE. You know, the important part of it, the horse racing part. Even if you don't read off topic, people carry their petty grudges over here as well as the tone of their replies.

There are plenty of political sites that do politics much, much better than the pointless, mindless ranting here. However, no site does horse racing better. To allow the garbage side of the site to ruin the rest of it is misguided.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #35
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I completely disagree

Quote:
Even if you don't read off topic, people carry their petty grudges over here as well as the tone of their replies.
I completely disagree as well. There have been people that have gone at each other in OT but on the horse racing side they are helping each other out.

Let me give you something to think about.

People will carry into the horse racing section WHATEVER IS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES at the moment, good or bad.

Do you think the nonstop bashing of certain racing personalities or certain horse racing venues or certain jockeys or certain poor rides or certain announcers has ANYTHING to do with grudges being carried over from OFF TOPIC?

99% of the time I would say that it does NOT.

And yet, that kind of stuff is the stuff a LOT of people complain about...it's the kind of stuff that has caused certain people to stop posting. And it has nothing to do with grudges carrying over from off topic.

What happens in OT is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to the quality of the racing topics.

It's a total straw man as far as I'm concerned, at least as it pertains to the topic of this thread.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-27-2017 at 09:49 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #36
kingfin66
Bombardier

I think it is the hostile tone that carries over from OT to Racing. It is all one website. If there is an air of hostility in one part of the website, it will carry over to the other sections. OT is, in a sense, giving people permission to have the hostile tone. Perhaps people are not even aware of how hostile their tone is? There have times when I have posted things and then read them back and wondered what I was thinking.

This is an interesting discussion. Thanks for having it, but please be open-minded. None of the current concerns are really anything new are they they?
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #37
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Great post Burnsy.

I'll say it again for the special snowflakes who are typing "Don't read it then". IT POISONS THE REST OF THE SITE. You know, the important part of it, the horse racing part. Even if you don't read off topic, people carry their petty grudges over here as well as the tone of their replies.

There are plenty of political sites that do politics much, much better than the pointless, mindless ranting here. However, no site does horse racing better. To allow the garbage side of the site to ruin the rest of it is misguided.
There is zero evidence that OffTopic poisons the rest of the site.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #38
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
There is zero evidence that OffTopic poisons the rest of the site.
I don't know. I'm sure there have been some personal confrontations in OT where I am sure people have formed negative opinions about others, and those opinions may carry over. I don't know that there is clear evidence. Just speculating.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #39
riskman

Pace Advantage has members that are divurgent in their intetests in horse racing, politics religion and many other endeavors including their primary work responsibilties. Interests in thorough bred and harness racing is what drove us here. Horse Racing is a large industry
World wide.Plenty to discuss and write about.
PA and its owner and moderators do a good job. The annoying troll manages to slip in once in awhile to disrupt the forum. Do not reply to them. If necessary put them on ignore. Shut them out. It is hard to do it, but do not let them win.

Off Topic is fine with me. I am more of a lurker than a poster on this site. Hope to learn and enjoy for years to come.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #40
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I completely disagree

I completely disagree as well. There have been people that have gone at each other in OT but on the horse racing side they are helping each other out.

Let me give you something to think about.

People will carry into the horse racing section WHATEVER IS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES at the moment, good or bad.

Do you think the nonstop bashing of certain racing personalities or certain horse racing venues or certain jockeys or certain poor rides or certain announcers has ANYTHING to do with grudges being carried over from OFF TOPIC?

99% of the time I would say that it does NOT.

And yet, that kind of stuff is the stuff a LOT of people complain about...it's the kind of stuff that has caused certain people to stop posting. And it has nothing to do with grudges carrying over from off topic.

What happens in OT is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to the quality of the racing topics.

It's a total straw man as far as I'm concerned, at least as it pertains to the topic of this thread.
I think the OT here is awesome. I do understand how "nonstop bashing" gets tiresome in our horse discussions for everyone it seems but the OP and a detractor. I agree with PA here about any OT grudges comming into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I think it is the hostile tone that carries over from OT to Racing. It is all one website. If there is an air of hostility in one part of the website, it will carry over to the other sections. OT is, in a sense, giving people permission to have the hostile tone. Perhaps people are not even aware of how hostile their tone is? There have times when I have posted things and then read them back and wondered what I was thinking.

This is an interesting discussion. Thanks for having it, but please be open-minded. None of the current concerns are really anything new are they they?
No. The tone in OT seems always ready to explode. It's expected like a pressure cooker on the stove and my mom is cooking. No one is minding the stove and the pot can explode any time! Everyone seems happy not to carry the mess into the horse side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I don't know. I'm sure there have been some personal confrontations in OT where I am sure people have formed negative opinions about others, and those opinions may carry over. I don't know that there is clear evidence. Just speculating.
IDK either Halv. For my part I won't post into the basher type topics again. I wil also try to mind my own 'stove' and relieve some pressure instead of building it up. Wish me luck.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #41
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I think a jerk will always be a jerk.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I do understand how "nonstop bashing" gets tiresome in our horse discussions for everyone it seems but the OP and a detractor.
Hah...good one...sort of subtle, but effective. Good job.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #43
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Seriously.

I don't think it is about one or two specific topics or certain people. We all have a hand and a say in it and how we want to go forward.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #44
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
It seems you have attempted to set the tone by suggesting my comment is intended to provoke or inflame something specific. NOT my intention at all. Thank you for suggesting that I may not really mean what I just posted on the subject. I'm sorry you have misinterpreted my intention.

I suppose I should just let it go.

Last edited by Murph; 04-27-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: deep breath here
Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #45
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
It seems you have attempted to set the tone by suggesting my comment is intended to provoke or inflame something specific. NOT my intention at all. Thank you for suggesting that I may not really mean what I just posted on the subject. I'm sorry you have misinterpreted my intention.
Now I'm TOTALLY confused and I don't even care.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: