Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 05-10-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
Teach

Gold: The Tortoise and The Hare

Just the other day I was doing some “spring cleaning” in my cellar when I came across a book that my mother had read to me, one that I would subsequently read to my children and grandchildren. This book, “The Tortoise and The Hare," is based on an Aesop Fable. The book has many messages, but the one that I believe that is most agreed upon, is: “Slow and steady wins the race.”

At this point, you may be asking: "What is the connection between a long-ago fable and the price of gold?”

Personally, I see a connection, call it a relationship, between the current price of the gold and that ancient fable.

Allow me to clarify: Over the years, there’s no denying, gold has had its "ups and downs.” Often those spikes in gold have been meteoric. It was if the price of gold were ascending on the back of some rocket ship. One could look back a little over 40 years, 1980 to be exact, when gold, as Teddy Roosevelt once said of himself, “…rose like a rocket.” Yet it wasn’t that long after that the price of gold fell back down to earth.

Moreover, in a sense, on that occasion, over four decades ago, an investor had to, in order to reap the profits from gold’s ascendancy literally “catch lightning in a bottle.” Even a day or two could made a big difference between substantial profits and run-of-the-mill ones.

That brings me to the present and the current price of gold, somewhat over $2,000 an ounce.

What I see today, that I rarely saw in gold’s past “emergences,” is that it’s “measured." Gold's price remains in a relatively tight “channel.” Yes, it has, intraday, gotten as high as $2,085 per ounce; yet it has, over the past several weeks, established “a floor” that is slightly below $2,000.

Moreover, I call this kind of pattern: “treading water.” Under those circumstances, I’m doing a lot of “watchful waiting.” Unlike many of gold’s past rallies, there’s no need to constantly have “your finger on the pulse."

It’s just, as I’ve cited, over and over again, there’s so much out there. Uncertainty. Gold has a tendency to thrive in those circumstances.

Domestically, we have the question of the worthiness of regional banks. I ask: "Will there be other “shoes to drop,” especially if The Fed again raises interest rates another 25 basis-points next month?

Then, there’s our debt-crisis. It’s like the Sword of Damocles hanging over our collective heads. Sometimes, brinksmanship can go a bit too far. Get out of hand. Positions can harden. There must be a settlement of this vexing problem. “Kicking the can down the road” is not the answer.

Internationally, there is the “de-dollarization” movement. Call it a financial rebellion. A rebellion against the dollar as the world’s reserve currency. This movement, slowly but surely, has gained momentum. Will it come to pass? Only time will tell. Yet any alternative reserve currency, possibly a basket of currencies, would likely include gold as part of the equation.

In closing, that Aesop Fable, with its allegorical message, “Slow and steady wins the race,” I believe, suits gold "to a tee," in these troubled times, in my opinion, gold is “lurking in the shadows.” It wouldn't take much, either domestically or internationally, or both, to see that precious metal begin its ascendancy.

Personally, I’m content to "mark time.”

Finally, I believe, just like the message of that long-time fable: “Slow and steady wins the race."

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Last edited by Teach; 05-10-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #2
lamboguy

first of all, its basically impossible to predict whats going to happen in anything that is more than 2 weeks away, and even if you are using a 2 week time frame most people will get that wrong as well. gold needs to break the $2089 high to get some acceleration on its way to $2500 or beyond. this is still pure speculation on my part.

the better market to chase right now would be uranium. it looks the same as gold and silver in the fall of 2022. and that doesn't mean that it can't go lower for the time being. this is a contrarian view on my part so its probably a good gamble. platinum looks like a good gamble as well now.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
davew

Do you take delivery of that uranium or is it cash settled?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2023, 06:38 AM   #4
RayT
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Do you take delivery of that uranium or is it cash settled?
No it is cash settled but so lightly traded it makes no sense. If so interested do an ETF.
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #5
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT View Post
No it is cash settled but so lightly traded it makes no sense. If so interested do an ETF.
thanks but no thanks - I am guessing it is similar to lumber and pork bellies, once it starts moving it becomes daily limit with no trades

at least with gold and silver you can hold it and put in your safe
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: